[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was math invented or discovered? Debate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: maths yo.jpg (2 MB, 5000x2619) Image search: [Google]
maths yo.jpg
2 MB, 5000x2619
Was math invented or discovered?

Debate
>>
>>8166430
Take your pedophile cartoons back to >>>/a/
>>
Invented. Math is a construct used to break apart the universe into palatable pieces
>>
>>8166430
>look mom, I poasted it again
>>
>>8166442
hahaha you made me laugh, friend. have an upvote!
>>
>>8166486
Learn to spell.
>>
Mathematics as a concept was discovered. The language of mathematics which we use to convey this concept was invented. To answer more directly, math was discovered. This is probably bait because that's so obvious, but just in case you're actually curious <3
>>
Discovered.

You don't create the laws of the universe, you attempt to understand them.

Creation implies autonomy on decision of the subject matter. There's nothing to decide about math, at its simplest or most complex.

You're interpreting that which exists, therefore, discovering what is already there.
>>
>>8166430
Discovered, numbers like e pi i, the pythagorean theorem and even integer representations of matter exist. Unless you believe that the tree doesn't make a sound if no one is there to hear it.
>>
>>8166430
The notation is invented, the structure is discovered.
>>
>>8166430
>Was math invented or discovered?
Yes
>>
>>8166430
PLATONISTS GET OOOUUUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...
>>
>>8166505
Math == physics
No.
>>
>>8166505
>There's nothing to decide about math
highschool pleb detected
>>
>>8166633
Hey, I knew of some decisions made in math in high school. He might just be genuinely stupid.
>>
>>8166430
It is planted. Like a tree. Then depending how you garden it may grow in different directions.
>>
>>8166602
This
>>
>>8166627
The laws of the universe causally determine what mathematics can be formed in the first place.
>>
>>8166430
our math was created the instance the universe was, however we just happened to have discovered it
>>
>>8166430
Discovered:
>Naturals
>Integers
>Rationals
Invented:
>Reals
>>
>>8166821
>pi, e, phi are invented concepts that have no bearing on reality
>>
>>8166824
correct
> phi
lol
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.