[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Funniest science arguments people have made
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: 1456714475815.jpg (86 KB, 650x560) Image search: [Google]
1456714475815.jpg
86 KB, 650x560
I work at a Lowe's in Alabama and once had a customer claim that the second law of thermodynamics proves that evolution can't be true because entropy over time can never decrease. Anyone else care to share the worst scientific arguments people have made?
>>
>>8164289
>claim that the second law of thermodynamics proves that evolution can't be true because entropy over time can never decrease.
I read in some book recently that this argument had been used by creationists in the past. What a coincidence.
>>
>>8164292
I know it's false but I don't know enough about thermodynamics for the detailed explanation of why it is incorrect. Anyone care to explain in detail?
>>
>>8164292
Also, isn't it fucking hilarious how creationists pick and chose when they believe in science?
>>
>>8164299
b/c the earth isn't an isolated system
>>
>>8164308
Yes but the universe is
>>
>>8164310
go on
>>
>>8164314
Nothing to go on to, the universe is considered an isolated system and the second law of thermodynamics states that entropy of an isolated system never decreases. I know the argument against evolution using these laws is wrong, just wanted a detailed explanation of why it is wrong.
>>
>>8164319
>water never freezes anywhere b/c the universe is an isolated system
>>
>>8164303
"Hahaha! I don't trust or research anything you say, but this appears to be contradictory to your other claims, and clearly you haven't considered it!"

>>8164319
Entropy in an organism can decrease while entropy in its surroundings increase at a greater rate, causing an overall increase in entropy in the universe.
>>
>>8164324
freezing is not decreasing in entropy just changing to a different form
>>8164326
yeah I figured it was something along those lines.

Fuck, no one has any good stories? I need a good laugh.
>>
>>8164319
Overall entropy cant decrease, local entropy can if you feed it energy
>>
>>8164342
Yeah, that makes sense.

I know ya'll must have some good stories......
>>
>>8164289
Yeah I got one. During my engineering degree I had to take some bullshit creative class required by the university. It was a mix between Stem and English students and discussions about both would pop up each lesson. There was this one group of weaboo English majors who thought they knew better about the stem students and teachers on all things life. Best discussion was about flat earth. I don't even remember how it came up but as soon as the words were uttered one of the weaboos had to jump in.
>"the earth is obviously flat because the suez canal datum line is parallel with the sea".
>"engineers never take into account the curve of the earth"
they ranted on for another 10 minutes on why the earth was flat.

The collective buttfucking they got after that was one to be remembered forever though. Plenty of stories with that group.
>>
>>8164399
>10 minutes of class time you had to pay for spent trying to justify flat earth

I hope you demanded a refund from the university.

Seriously, non-Stem classes are such fucking shit most of the time
>>
>>8164292
>>8164299
>>8164308
>>8164310
>>8164314
>>8164319
>>8164341
>>8164342
ITT: people who have never studied statistical mechanics or read [math]\textit{What is Life?}[/math]
>>
>>8164310
Based on?
>>
>>8164550
The universe is curved in onto itself, even if it is still expanding.
>>
>>8164573
There's no evidence to support the claim that the Universe has positive curvature.
>>
>>8164582
It is curved, and any curve eventually meets itself.
>>
>>8164585
>it is curved
[citation needed]

>any curve eventually meets itself
categorically untrue

Try harder, retard.
>>
>>8164585
the universe is flat
>>
>>8164341
Freezing is decreasing in entropy. Informally entropy is a measure of disorder. Ice is more ordered than water. Formally change in entropy is the heat added divided by temperature [math]\delta S = \frac{\delta Q}{T}[\math]. When an object loses heat (i.e. when it cools down) then [math]\delta Q < 0[\math] and therefore [math]\delta S < 0[\math].
>>
>>8164546
>implying people on /sci actually know any science
>>
>>8164310
So what? Evolution is going on in an open system, therefore entropy CAN decrease locally.
>>
>>8164546
Try using your words to properly convey your feelings. You referred 8 unrelated posts and mentioned a 70 year old book that suggests life uses yet-unknown physics, which is completely tangential to the difference between entropy of an open system and entropy of a closed system.

I'm mostly triggered because I am >>8164292 and I said absolutely nothing on the subject. Perhaps you misread.
>>
>original purpose of thread is for retarded 'scientific' arguments
>turned into an argument over entropy
>>
>>8164342
>Overall entropy cant decrease, local entropy can if you feed it energy
>>8164345
>Yeah, that makes sense.
If it didn't, then air conditioning wouldn't work either.
>>
>The sun isn't real, because how could it be burning if there's no oxygen in space?
>>
>If gravity was real, why doesn't all the oxygen in the atnosphere get pulled down and crush is?
>>
>>8166769
Very similar to:
>If gravity is real, how can balloons rise?
>>
>>8166764
>>8166769
do you really believe these people are stupid or just misinformed or perhaps they do not know what most of us here on /sci/ know yet
>>
>>8164501
All of non stem classes in a stem course is just plain shit. I complained and managed to get out of the class half way through and get credit for completing it. The average of my past grades were used so I'm happy bout it
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.