[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the difference between direct sunlight and for example
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
What's the difference between direct sunlight and for example the sunlight you get through a window/glass? Or shade? What changes?
>>
it loses its intensity to a degree. thats about it
>>
>>8156325
that's it? how much intensity does it lose? is there a measurement for this? i'm sorry, me and science are strangers, but this is kind of important, you'd be saving my life science bitch
>>
>>8156330
The atomic sctructure of the glass does not absorb electrons so the photon particles go right through it without losing energy, but its also reflective to a degree, also there are lots of other shit in the glass. So I'd say its between 1% to 4% sunlight energy loss overall.
>>
>>8156334
it's altered by 1%? one fucking percent. jesus christ.

thanks man.
>>
>>8156344
Chill out bro. It's more complicated than that. Glass is made to be transparent to the visible spectrum, and will only have the 1% loss in that very narrow band. Typically all glass blocks infrared, and lots of glass is made to block UV as well, but not all. Depends on the glass.
>>
>>8156363
it blocks UV? what about shade and UV?
>>
>>8156364
What do you mean shade? A fabric shade over your window will typically not filter the light spectrum, but simply block 95% or something of all light physically.
>>
>>8156368
Ah, OK. Does the color of clothing actually matter? How they say white reflects light and balck absorbs it?
>>
>>8156330

It depends on the surrounding objects that affect the dynamics of how the light around you travels.

this is why, for instance, on a bright and sunny day you may be blinded when standing on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier but not when stranding in a grassy feild.
>>
>>8156322
Intensity, polarization and certain wave lengths.
>>
>>8156431
christ, i remember when light was just light. everything is so complicated these days. what about spontaneous combustion? have they figured out why that happens?
>>
>>8156322
Direct Sunlight = full spectrum of the sun.

Shade = Indirect = Full Spectrum - what ever is absorbed.
>>
>>8156491
>i remember when light was just light
>>
>>8156491
>i remember when light was just light.
You mean when we didn't know what the fuck it was at all, except that it existed? Cool. It's electromagnetic radiation, and thus has properties of electromagnetic radiation.

>what about spontaneous combustion? have they figured out why that happens?
No combustion is spontaneous, that term is loosely applied to any phenomenon of combustion with uncertain cause, thus it could be describing literally anything with insufficient information.
>>
The measure of the loss of intensity can be obtained by finding the transmission of the material. That is just the ratio between the light intensity after it passes through the medium, to the light intensity before. That will give you a graph that could look like this.
>>
>>8156322
the intensity & frequency differencess dumbass
>>
>>8156374
Yes.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.