[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's have a nice nuclear engineering thread. Where's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
Let's have a nice nuclear engineering thread.

Where's the nuclear industry going? Is studying nuclear engineering viable today? How does it compare with other types of engineering, such as electrical and mechanical, in terms of job prospects and reputation?
>>
oh I thought we were actually talking about engineering nuclear plants
>>
So do you want to talk about engineering? Or do you want to talk about college?
>>
>>8155375
>>8155381
Oh my bad, I didn't know I had to pick one and only one
>>
>>8155382
With an electrical or a mechanics degree, you can work in nuclear powerplant building

(I'm building Flamanville 3)
>>
>>8155365

>Where's the nuclear industry going? Is studying nuclear engineering viable today

Like it always was: east of the Mississippi. Nuclear power plants replaced coal plants in places like Illinois or New York. This might change though, given how the DoE is loosening it's restrictions on smaller (and ideally modular) reactors, and with Harry Reid gone Yucca Mountain can now be built.

Really the next 10 years are mostly going to be research and experimenting, as most licenses will start expiring/be up for renewal in the 2030s. That's where the rubber will meet the road.
>>
I think that for now, nuclear engineering is pretty based. But in, idk, 70 years we will switch to something like fusion, meaning that our grandchildren will all be plasmaengineers...
>>
>>8155919

it's two sides of the same coin. Also, even if cold fusion was worked out, it would be subject to the same restrictions nuclear fission power is (sans waste disposal)
>>
>>8155947
Well, were pretty close to energy by fusion, ITER is expected to have a first prototype of an energy-outputting stellator in about 40 years. And what restrictions do you mean? Cant think of many...
>>
Thorium
>>
down the drain for some unknown reasons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_fast_reactor#Advantages

why didn't we picked up a few of the puppies on amazonslashebay?
>>
>>8155919
Well since China has already made the first experimental fusion reactor, it might be a lot shorter than 70 years until we start switching to it.
>>
honestly, I think its a major/profession ahead of its time. its definitely forward thinking, but too much so. there are no fucking jobs.
>>
>>8156599
Well, as i know, they dont have one that outputs more energy than it is input. This means they still arent near any real reactor
>>
>>8155365
It's going fucking nowhere fast because idiotic plebs who think they're being environmentalists by supporting wind and solar and other-so-called green tech. These asshats that attack nuclear power are the ones most responsible IMHO for the coming environmental catastrophe.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.