[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this book considered pop-sci? what really is pop sci
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: mostwantedparticle.jpg (14 KB, 184x274) Image search: [Google]
mostwantedparticle.jpg
14 KB, 184x274
Is this book considered pop-sci?
what really is pop sci
>>
The actual meaning is popular science, which means it's science that is dumbed down to a level that everyone can understand and relate to. Which means it dumbs down or simply ignores the really brainy stuff that requires one to understand the details, numbers, formulas, hypothesis and so on..

I wouldn't call that pop-sci since I doubt majority of pop-sci fags would dare to hold that book.
>>
>>8150895
>what really is pop sci
Any attempt to dumb science down to the level a popular audience could understand.
>>
>>8150916
wtf is a popular audience you steaming cuck
>>
>>8150916
in this scenario, anything short of a textbook would be considered pop sci

are you saying if you are interested in something and want to learn more, unless you read a textbook, you're a piece of shit neil degrasse tyson faggot?

>>8150910
i like to think of what steven hawking said in a brief history of time "every formula you include in a book, you cut the audience in half"
BHoT was very eye opening to me though it wasnt too detailed. it made me want to learn about physics in depth yet many consider it pop sci.

Pop sci seems to get an awful reputation but I wouldnt say a lot of pop sci books are sellouts
>>
>>8150974
Pop Sci tends to dwell on philosophical implications of results instead of the results themselves.

Ngt,Kaku,bill nye all do it wrong.

Carl Sagan is also a pop Sci figure and did it better than everyone
>>
>>8150895

Put it to the test:

>Is it attempting to teach graduate level material to people without even a high school level understanding
>If so then it's horrible popsci
>>
>>8150974
>in this scenario, anything short of a textbook would be considered pop sci

No. Papers, monographs, etc.
>>
Sometimes when I fart it scares me real bad like cuz when I sit for long periods my butt goes numb and I can't feel 'em coming. One time I cried.
>>
>>8150990
you think trying to teach the intuition of graduate level material without the mathematical rigor is a bad thing?
>>
>>8151044
Yes, because it never ever works.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.