[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>chest hurts, feel congested, cough, breathing issues >pound
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1427343703718.jpg (114 KB, 599x489) Image search: [Google]
1427343703718.jpg
114 KB, 599x489
>chest hurts, feel congested, cough, breathing issues
>pound a ton of caffeine and go for a walk
>no more hurt, can breathe

Somebody explain this. I swear it does the trick better than any medication. Is it just a placebo effect?
>>
>>8148506
Simply standing up takes care of a lot of aliments.
>>
>>8148506
Sounds placebo

If not go to a doc
>>
>>8148506
Explain your symptoms more. I have a BS in PhD MD
>>
>>8148506
Caffeine is a stimulant. It raises your blood pressure, heart rate, and core body temperature. You are sick, which means some virus or bacteria is attacking your cells. A warmer internal body temperature (from drinking hot coffee or just caffeine itself, and going outside in the summer for a walk) means that your white blood cells will be more effective at attacking whatever is ailing you. Most internal enzymes work better when your body heat is around average, but white blood cells work better at higher temps, which is why you run a fever when you get an infection. Take warm showers.

Also, if it was the placebo effect, asking would only eliminate the effect.
>>
>>8148506
coffeine is helping with my asthmatic problems(it's not a big deal but occasionally i use energy drinks instead of inhaller)
>>
>>8148566
>Simply standing up takes care of a lot of aliments
>aliments
world hunger solved, whip dem niggers and make them stand
>>
>>8149495
You have a bullshit in PhD MD?
>>
>>8148506
>>8149733
>>8149511
Med-student here and asthmatic, this is actually surprisingly interesting. We actually sometimes use Theophylline (which is similar to caffeine) for asthma, but it is not a very effective drug for most patients. The use of coffee in the diet of asthma patients was suggested in the past many times, but was not found to be effective. It's possible there is a subset of patients (especially very light asthma I believe) in which it works better.
I always remember my old pharmacology professor, who always told an interesting story about this:
She was in some convention in Venice, when an asthmatic man suddenly had an attack. He didn't have his inhaler with him, so they immediately called for an ambulance. In the mean time my professor asked the barman to make a very very strong espresso (3 times the regular amount of coffee he uses). After the man drank the coffee he felt a lot better and his attack stopped.
>>
>>8149931
I've heard the same thing about cigarettes.

I discovered this one accidentally, so I doubt it's placebo. Google and various anecdotes vaguely corroborate my hypothesis, but there's nothing definitive.
>>
>>8150017
Here is a nice review on the subject
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0010864/
>>
>>8150017
Cigarettes have been successfully used but in the long run the alveoli damage will probably make the asthma worse (see emphysema).
>>
>>8150026
disclaimer though, the first part of my post might actually be complete bullshit, cigarettes that were prescribed didn't contain nicotine
>>
>>8150017
Wait, you mean that cigarettes have a positive effect on asthma? Or that caffeine has a positive effect on respiratory pathoglogies induced by smoking?
Because if you mean the first, citation needed as fuck
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.