[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Turbulence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: air-turbulence.jpg (306 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
air-turbulence.jpg
306 KB, 1920x1080
It's 2016
Why haven't we solved turbulence yet?
>>
>>8148206
Because it might not have closed form solutions.
>>
Turbulence is caused by wind, which is caused by tempurature changes in the weather, or by Induced Drag. All you can do to treat it is by being a good pilot and maneuvering through or around it.

Induced Drag is a natural byproduct from generating lift, and your pic related is whats called Wing Tip Vortexes. Theres minor things you can impliment onto the wing tips to help stop those WTVs but i think it is just natural. I'm interested in figuring out how to utilize WTVs for the plane.

One idea i have is setting up spinners that catch the air current and spin a crankshaft to charge or power sonething electrically. or even using it to stabilize the aircraft!
>>
File: 1463909251305.jpg (12 KB, 222x227) Image search: [Google]
1463909251305.jpg
12 KB, 222x227
>>8148333
>Turbulence is caused by wind
>>
>>8148206
There are some CFD methods that solve turbulence. We just don't have the computational power to solve them for real world applications

>>8148333
Wing tip vortices are caused by the pressure difference between bottom and top of the wing. The things you've described already exist they just are not really practical for use on actual aircraft
>>
>>8148360
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr984EOmNaY
This is what I'm talking about. Realise that this was done on a supercomputer that probably ran for weeks to solve this. Also keep in mind that this is just solving the flow on a flat plate for a pretty low reynolds number (:. low speed flow). Airplanes on the other hand have complex geometries and fly pretty fucking fast
>>
>>8148333
That's free energy bro. Wing tip vortices are simply a loss in efficiency. You can prevent the loss by putting things on the tips but you can't gain extra energy from it.

I am very interested in wing tip vorticies. In my flying car plans not only do batteries suck but free propellers operate at like 80% efficiency due to tip losses. I would like to find a simple way to give a reasonable estimate of the efficiency increase from putting the propeller in a duct. I need to know this so I can trade the power saving against the extra duct weight. Any ideas? I have an idea but it may be too basic.
>>
>>8148366
>>8148360
Until we step up our computing ability we will never get hypersonic craft.
>>
>>8148206
We have. It is called, "space flight".

I've always thought why not make the passenger compartment into a large gimbal machine like those virtual rides you find in malls (pic related). When turbulence hits, the compartment moves and adjusts to make the ride seemingly turbulence free.
>>
>>8148206
Wait, do you mean why haven't we stopped turbulence from happening on flights? Because that's literally impossible. It's part of the atmosphere's dynamics. If we wanted to have a mostly complete map of turbulence we'd have to have enough sensors to do LES in the whole atmosphere, which will never happen.
>>
>>8148206

you know that when a plane slows down or lands like in your picture, turbulence is beneficial
>>
>>8148380

Not true.

If you think that airplanes act like in your picture when they are flying a maximum efficiency, you would be wrong
>>
>>8148206
if you could make a gyrotating cock-pit and multiple air foils is it possible to make an airplane or jet that always flies with the pilot level to the ground?
>>
same reason the wings on a plane dont have feathers and flap
>>
>>8148206
Suspend the cabin in oil or springs to act as a gyroscopic immovable point.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.