[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
if we made a simulation of sufficient complexity to allow intelligent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1441483447001.gif (2 MB, 245x187) Image search: [Google]
1441483447001.gif
2 MB, 245x187
if we made a simulation of sufficient complexity to allow intelligent life, would that lifeform potentially be able to uncover the fact that they're in a simulation? would they see pixels if they developed the technology to observe their universe at sub-atomic levels? would it be possible to re-write their universe from the inside? is this a stupid question?
>>
>>8147170
is this like asking "is god real?" there's just no way to know?
>>
>is this a stupid question

No and yes
>>
>>8147170
If we made a complete enough simulation to allow for intelligent life, would they know they could just Google for the paper Feynman wrote on it or would they just post the question to 4chan?
>>
What if we actually find a pattern of intelligent life in Conway's Game of Life? Would the pattern then be able to change itself into something else?
>>
>>8147170
uncover as in prove ?

no
>>
>>8147828
Conway's GOL is purely deterministic. Our universe is not.

The way we could see if were in a simulation is to figure out if the programmers skipped some details for optimization or just because they forgot or didn't care. Like having a constant zero-point energy density and make the universe expand, creating energy from nothing... Oh shi-
>>
>>8147852
>Conway's GOL is purely deterministic
Same goes for any simulation we can make.
>>
>>8147852
> Our universe is not deterministic
>>>/x/
>>
>>8147863
We could use pseudo random number generators as the actuators of randomness in our simulation. The inhabitants of our simulation will never know the difference given our PRNG is hard enough.

>>8147865
Prove it is deterministic. If I give you 10 radionucleotides, predict with absolute certainty (within Heisenberg) which one will decay and when. (You) should be able to solve this.
>>
>>8147873
How does your incapability of predicting even remotely related to non-determinism ?

I'll give you a coin, predict how many times it will spin and which side will fall under wind and turbulence. You'll have to accept that since you can't even predict it, coinflips must be non-deterministic. And I'll laugh at you along with all the physicist in the world.
>>
>>8147879
Coin flips are inherently deterministic ( https://vimeo.com/28907617 or https://youtu.be/lGO72E1V-3E ), radioactive decay is fundamentally not. Seeing as you are retarded and anti-scientific you should probably follow the link posted above to >>>/x/ where all the trash belongs.
>>
>>8147879
>turbulence and wind are random
lol
>>
>>8147879
go to school idiot and stop pestering us with your babby rambling
>>
>>8147921
>decay is not deterministic

Prove it.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.