[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Abstract Algebra
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: algebra.jpg (118 KB, 638x856) Image search: [Google]
algebra.jpg
118 KB, 638x856
Hey /sci how can I start to self learn topics of abstract algebra? Books, pages on internet, videos, magazines???
>>
>>8135793
A good source for supplementary reading and extra explainations is Keith Conrads notes (on pretty much everything in algebra):
http://www.math.uconn.edu/~kconrad/blurbs/
>>
>>8135800
thancks m8
>>
Looks like you have a book there. Have you tried looking inside of it?
>>
Caп,фopч. Чтo c хapкaчeм, м?
>>
Get "A Book on Abstract Algebra" by Pinter
>>
>>8135860
came to write this.
>>
>>8135793
do you have any direction in mind? purely algebraic or towards some number theory or geometry or something?
>>
>>8135860
I was just about to suggest this. Absolutely Wonderful book
>>
>>8136193
not him but towards geometry (and polynomials)
>>
What book would /sci/ recommend to someone who has taken a semester of algebra and wants to brush up on it? I'd like to eventually get to the graduate level but I'm not sure if I should start with a graduate book or undergrad.
>>
>>8135793
The videos can be found on youtube.

http://wayback.archive-it.org/3671/20150528171650/https://www.extension.harvard.edu/open-learning-initiative/abstract-algebra
>>
>>8137320
Jacobson's Basic Algebra I
>>
>>8137900
Thanks!
>>
>>8137922

http://boltje.math.ucsc.edu/

Robert Boltje from UCSC has some great notes on introduction of group theory. Look up his Math 111A notes under courses.
Look up courses,
>>
>>8138002

Thanks, I'll check that out as well.
>>
>>8136235
Artin, man.

>>8137320
You could probably read dummit and foote even if you don't remember much. then you could use the same book once you get past the basic stuff into more advanced shit.

>>8137900
Jacobson I-II is masterfully done.

And I just wanna say, for advanced guys who wanna go into, say, algebraic number theory, you wanna get Lang. I know it gets a lot of hate here, but Lang is honestly still irreplaceable. I've looked at Rotman, Rowen, Isaacs, Grillet, Dummit and Foote, Maclane Birkhoff. You could read all those books and know all the problems/proofs backwards and forwards in all those books, and you till wouldn't know all of the material in Lang, because Lang just presents a lot of things in an entirely different perspective. The reason in particular I talk about algebraic numbr theorists is his chapter on Galois theory is MASTERFUL and the material isn't covered at that level in any of the above mentioned books.

Of course, if you wanted to know any subject in the level of sophistication as lang, you could always get a specialized book. But It's REALLY nice having a one-stop reference for a lot of basic material presented at a high level. Yes, it is really hard to read and written in a frustrating, boring way, but it's very, very useful.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.