[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a way to see EM & radio waves like the normal light
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: aorsaRF321x237[1].jpg (60 KB, 321x237) Image search: [Google]
aorsaRF321x237[1].jpg
60 KB, 321x237
Is there a way to see EM & radio waves like the normal light we see in any way ?
>>
>>8129098
normal light is EM waves.
>>
I mean the other ranges in the spectrum. like radio waves and others.
>>
A radiotelescope let's you look at radio waves, when you take a radiography you are looking at X rays... It's not very fancy.
>>
>>8129107

Well no, that's not how eyes work.

However, you can use a device to detect non visible light which can translate them into something you can see on a screen. See: night vision.
>>
I'll assume you're talking about bodily perception without tool assistance (because if you include tools, then we're already doing that). You'd have to bioengineer cells that can pick up radio signals. The difficulty lies in the fact that radio is roughly a million to a billion times weaker than visible light, so chemical changes in photopigments are much harder (if not impossible) to pull off. Although by incorporating metallic coils, sure, it might be doable. We already know that extended parts of the spectrum are processable by example of the Mantis Shrimp, so the neural wiring is no problem in principle. But don't expect good resolution; the cells would probably have considerable bulk.
>>
>>8129136
I just wanna see what it looks like when all these waves from cellphones and radio stations bounce around.
>>
>>8129161
>a million to a billion times weaker

what the fuck are you on about, nigger? a typical radio frequency photon is about 1000 to a million times weaker than visible light, but its not the energy so much as the wavelength that matters.

low energy photons have such a long wavelength, that you need LARGE antenna to pick them up, they just pass through everything else with a shorter dipole.

Thats why you can amp the signal a million times and stand next to the transmitter and nothing. fucking. happens.
>>
>>8129170
https://youtu.be/aqqEYz38ens

This guy scanned a room and then visualized equipotential surfaces from voxel data.

Though it's not really the same as "seeing" radio waves, i.e. projecting intensities on a plane.l, like you fo with your eyes or a camera.
I think the biggest issue with such a device would be it's size, because the necessary antenna size is related to the wavelength.
>>
>>8129098
Our eyes are already capable of detecting ultraviolet but you have to remove the UV filter on your retina to do it
>>
>>8129195
Thanks. This is very interesting.
>>
>>8129190
This. The wavelength of AM radio is like > 3.4 meters, so the radiostation signals will look very fuzzy around stuff.

Cellphones are a bit better at ~ 15 cm

Some people have made wifi signal maps that sort of give you an idea of what this looks like.
>>
>>8129195
That is super cool. If I don't see this in the next hacker movie, I'll be upset.
>>
>>8129170
What, you want to see some ripples or beams coming out of phones and stuff?

That's not how light works, you don't see rays of visible light so why should you see them for radio waves?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.