[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can't find a thread about this http://www.sciencealert
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1450395451897.jpg (64 KB, 1024x415) Image search: [Google]
1450395451897.jpg
64 KB, 1024x415
Can't find a thread about this

http://www.sciencealert.com/stephen-hawking-has-finally-published-his-solution-to-the-black-hole-information-paradox

>The problem is that, according to Hawking's best calculations, that (hawking) radiation would contain no useful information about what the black hole ate - the information swallowed up would have been lost forever. And that doesn't gel with our understanding of modern physics, which states that it's always possible to reverse time. In theory, at least, processes in the Universe will look the same if they're running forwards or backwards.

>But Hawking thinks he finally has a solution to the problem - black holes might actually have a halo of 'soft hair' surrounding them, which are capable of storing information.

>That 'hair' isn't actually hair - as you might have already assumed - but is actually low-energy quantum excitations that carry with them a signature pattern of everything that's been swallowed up by the black hole, long after it evaporates.

>But he admits: "It is certainly possible that, following the path indicated by this work, further investigation will uncover more hair of this type, and perhaps eventually lead to a resolution of the black hole information problem."

Thoughts?
>>
>>8128885
>And that doesn't gel with our understanding of modern physics, which states that it's always possible to reverse time.
this assumptions is retarded and has no place in a theory.
>>
solve imaginary problem with imaginary solution. I loe these guys physicists.
>>
>>8128885
>Black hole hairs
Someone kill this creep for the sake of mercy
>>
>>8128885
>information may kinda sorta exist
>it is impractical to actually get that information
>therefore there is a paradox
>>
>>8128912
Well done for not understanding anything that was said. Information is a well defined thermodynamic quantity it exists. The information in a black hole is not just impractical to get but gone under the no-hair theorem.
>>
so dumb. burn a paper and douse the ashes. the information on that paper is gone. Such a shame that so much human effort is wasted on this "science" as a masturbatory intellectual fantasy.
>>
>>8128885
Yay more mumbo-jumbo!
>>
>>8128885
My first reaction was "I swear he did this half a year ago already," but then I read the first line of the article.
So this hasn't been debunked?
>>
>science alert

Dismissed for popsci meme science
>>
>>8129002
No it's real I've read the paper. It's just more useless bullshit as usual. Physics is getting as bad as pure maths these days, just a publicly funded hangout zone for autists
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.