[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let [math]X[/math] be the set of sets that don't contain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1456688338540.gif (2 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1456688338540.gif
2 MB, 300x169
Let [math]X[/math] be the set of sets that don't contain themselves.
Does [math]X[/math] contain itself?
This is Russell's paradox stemming from Cantor's infinite sets. The answer would be both yes and no. This is beyond the comprehension of people who believe in the law of excluded middle.

What if we adopted a quaternary logic instead of a binary logic? The possible answers would be:

-yes
-no
-both
-neither

is quaternary logic the answer to everything?
>>
I just realized I couldn't pick a worse gif if I wanted to get serious replies.

Pls disregard it.
>>
>>8128699
>is quaternary logic the answer to everything?
Well, there's only four answers to that question.
>>
>>8128699
Can you make a consistent logical calculus out of quaternary logic? That's the question
>>
>>8128814
what conditions are needed for it to be "consistent"?
Is it that every proposition has one and only one corresponding truth value?
>>
a set could contain an infinite number of elements, which can create another kind of infinity of sets.
what is wrong with the idea a set of all sets has a infinite and deep reiteration of itself just like a fractal?
so yes, it contains itself imo.
>>
>>8129025
me again

in addition this would make sure that an operation on the idea of 'set of all sets' remains the same (comparable to infinite in algebra) even when the number of elements which are forming all of those sets is finite.
>>
>The answer would be both yes and no. This is beyond the comprehension of people who believe in the law of excluded middle.
guess what, most people do believe in the law of excluded middle
the point of creating new axiom systems is to get a rigorous AND intuitive theory of something
your quaternary logic is not intuitive for most people, and you didnt bother to make it rigorous
>>
>>8129109
It's not my logic, I'm asking a fucking question, not pretending to be the new Gauss.
The excluded middle makes less sense to me than allowing for "both" and "neither" as a possible value other than "true" and "false".
>>
>>8129129
google has no relevant results
>>
>>8128699
Let X be the set that contains 0 and all of the natural numbers that are bigger than the sum of all the elements of X.

Name me an element of X distinct from 0.
>>
>>8129156

But this is not a proper question. You should ask something tgat can be answered by a logical statement.

Also Google has no relevant info as far as I can tell, sry
>>
>>8129182
I was just using it to replicate OP's "oscillating" paradox.

In his paradox if you assume X does not contain itself then X contains it self, so then X does not contain itself, so now it does. To infinity.

In my set X, if you assume that only 0 is an element of X then all natural numbers are elements of X, but there is no natural number bigger than all of the natural numbers, so X does not contain all of the natural numbers, just 0... but then it contains all natural numbers, etc.
>>
>>8128699
Type theory was added to expressly address this issue. It solves the issue so much better than quaterniary logic.
>>
File: fuck yes.gif (499 KB, 245x240) Image search: [Google]
fuck yes.gif
499 KB, 245x240
>>8129324
>yfw you realize you did some type theory but only thought about the software engineering application
thanks anon
>>
>>8128699
Penternary logic is clearly better. Answers are:
-yes
-no
-maybe
-i don't know
-can you repeat the question?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.