[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://nanocar-race.cnrs.fr/indexEn glish.php This is the future
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: nanocar race.jpg (158 KB, 1400x1045) Image search: [Google]
nanocar race.jpg
158 KB, 1400x1045
http://nanocar-race.cnrs.fr/indexEnglish.php

This is the future /sci/, screw Formula 1, screw NASCAR, screw all other races, the only race you need watch is the Nanocar Race!
>>
>thousands of people seated in a stadium
>in the center lies a small table with a SEM situated above it
>the contestants each take 140 minutes of chemical wizardry to assemble their nano-cars
>several minutes pass as they are setting up the microscope
>finally, the contestant releases their car, the crowd begins cheering
>30 seconds later, the crowd quiets to listen to the announcer
>0.104 MILLIMETERS
>the crowd erupts, cheering so loudly that the highly unstable molecule car's chemical bonds break
>this repeats for several hours
>>
>>8126709
you mean unlike every football game in america?
>>
>>8126709
>>0.104 MILLIMETERS
isnt that fucking impossibly fast tho ?
>>
Guarantee the Germans will dominate this too
>>
>>8126709
>> 140 minutes
Oh lord no, some of these things require processes that take 2 weeks at 10,000 bar.
More likely, they'll decant a prepped solution of nanocars onto the scope and spend an hour or so finding each different car and lining them up

>>cheer loud enough to break bonds
If they did that, they'd be dead. The bonds are quite stable

>> 0.104 mm in 30 seconds
Is decently fast, scaled up that's equivalent to an average car going 500 km. That equicalent to 60,000 km/hr if we don't scale time.

>>8126805
Fun fact: the German team's vehicle is actually a swastika
>>
>>8126889
>Fun fact: the German team's vehicle is actually a swastika

There's still hope for the post-merkel germany then??
>>
>>8127648

nah, germany is fucked
>>
>mfw my university participates

car labelled as USA in OP's pic is actually from Austria
>>
>>8126889

>German team's vehicle is actually a swastika

Oh shit you're right
>>
>>8126671
This is the best thing humans have done for a while.
>>
>>8126671

does it have v-tec yo?

why is Ohio represented like not being part of USA?

And I was wondering how can something so small carry enough energy to move while being conformed by, what I asume, is nitrogen(dark blue).
>>
>>8129022
It's Ohio man

They don't carry any energy. There is no way you can carry much energy at this scale. They will be driven around by an STM tip. Some nanocar designs are designed to be solar powered though.
>>
File: 1444065414377.jpg (35 KB, 810x240) Image search: [Google]
1444065414377.jpg
35 KB, 810x240
>>8129071
I bet you could make a crawler that moves much faster than a car and power it by pulsing laser light of slightly different frequencies to flip the conformation of a double bonds which are tuned to the different color lasers. Something like pic related.
>>
>>8129101
There is a much better way to do this, use a Feringa motor. It spins around in one direction when you shine light on it.

Except this doesn't work because it quenches out on metal surfaces, which you need to image these things.

People have been able to get azobenzene to move on a surface, you just need to keep it far enough away from the metal that it won't quench
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/07/070702145913.htm
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.