[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he actually going to do it, or is he just an absolute mad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: ANJDG.jpg (42 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ANJDG.jpg
42 KB, 1280x720
Is he actually going to do it, or is he just an absolute madman?

http://www.sens.org
>>
>>8123971
MADMAN
>>
do what
>>
>>8123971
I remember when my friend told me about this guy and what he planned to do. He then showed me his picture and I just burst out laughing.
>>
>>8123971
lol, from the thumbnail I thought it was a picture of a neanderthal.
>>
His foundation is funding research projects that are contributing to the understanding of aging.

He has drawn much attention to the subject of aging and age related diseases such that there is way more funding for this type of research now than there would have been if he had never given that TED talk 10 years ago. He has done a lot to legitimize this area of study in the public eye, and the eyes of non-scientists with money to fund research.

So, that's all good.
>>
>>8123971
both
>>
>>8124424
Yep, yep. Whether he can actually accomplish his goals is different, but he's managed to divert attention to this issue without becoming a quack, which is admirable in my book.
>>
>>8123971
A visionary, I would love to work with him. This guy together with AI and space exploration will help us become literal gods.
>>
>>8124451

>science isn't a religion
>>
>>8123971
>Aging population in denial.jpg

The future is for young people, stop trying to hold on baby boomers, you're crushing a social security system that cannot support you.
>>
>>8123971
>Is he actually going to do it, or is he just an absolute madman?

depends on how much money his research can get, he has said this like a bazillion times
>>
>>8126513
enjoy getting old yourself dickhead
>>
>>8124398
Fuck off trip idiot
>>
>>8124398
no one gives a fuck you autist, this isnt your blog
>>
>>8126513
pretty sure regenerative medicine is exactly how future society will avoid social security collapse

there isn't enough funds to support an aging population without being able to prevent most of the negative onsets of aging

also progress in this field will most likely be driven by genetic research/ medical advancements/billion $ initiatives like calico

sens/aubrey de meme are just buzz (although not necessarily in a negative sense)

in any case nothing substantial will probably happen until after hgp-write
>>
>>8126558
or we cut payouts, it's not rocket science to write an actuarial table and figure out the cash flows.

this dude is just siphoning charitable givings from issues that actually matters to fund his beard maintenance.
>>
Can anyone explain further, or direct me to an archive regarding research on regeneration. If this guy is serious and this is for real, would it be more beneficial to look into biological immortal animals e.g. lobsters?

Side note: I'm curious to know more about the research behind Salamanders ability to regrow organs/limbs.If anyone has anything to say about that I would love to hear it. (Particularly on a cellular level)
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.