[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do math majors get jobs that aren't in finance or CS?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 403x195) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 403x195
Do math majors get jobs that aren't in finance or CS?
>>
>>8118284
I got a job as a bus driver. A classmate of mine works as a bouncer.
>>
>>8118284
Cryptography I guess?
>>
>>8118296
idiot that is cs you faggot
learn to fucking read
>>
>>8118284
Theoretical physics! Get grants to bullshit people and date hero-worshipping co-eds.
>>
Any regular office job would be possible, and if the degree was from Yale or Duke you could work on the business side of finance if you do not want to be a code monkey.

I forgot his name but their is a math major who is a talent agent for video game people at ICM in Century City LA.
>>
>>8118284
>Do math majors get jobs

Yeah we d-

>or CS?

Fuck. Well fuck you. Those are the only two major applications of math that are at the pre-postgrad level you genius. (Other than teaching but for fucks sake man holy shit).

This thread is equivalent to

>Do engineering majors get jobs that aren't in engineering or general technology?
>>
>>8118337

Ah, I forgot to conclude my own posts.

Short answer is yeah, statistics. Obviously finance is one of the biggest industries hiring statisticians but other big industries for it are medicine. Just a fuckton of statisticians working in medicine.
>>
>>8118284
warehouse worker
>>
can any field of maths lead to engineering?
>inb4 engineering
I want to know my options with regards to what i do after undergrad
>>
>>8118357
Literally google.

Engineering companies hire math majors but I hope you know that they don't hire them to do engineering.

Anyways, why did you even major in math if this was your goal?
>>
>>8118337
>pre-postgrad
Something is wrong with this phrase.
>>
Majoring in pure math alone doesn't prepare you well for jobs in industry. If you get hired at an engineering company you'll probably be an analyst of some sort which may mean doing baby tier math. Businesses only care about actionable insights and customer needs.

What's more important is leaning practices skill sets such as programming, SQL, business acumen and the like. Politics is your number one skill set of getting promoted not your technical skill set and unfortunately they don't teach you politics in real analysis coursework.

Working in industry for too long will kill your brain cells, make you content at getting paid a high salary and not doing any intellectually stimulating work.

If you want to work in industry do not major in pure math.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 500x333
>>8118291
>math major
>bouncer
>>
>>8118337
Statistics
>>
Jobs related to teaching
>>
>>8118284

The nice clerk at my walgreens has a math degree and i say he does an excellent job. I never had problems getting exact change when using my debit card.
>>
>>8118471
Enjoying the drugs?
>>
>>8118475

No, they are too expensive. I go there because they are the only store that carries large enough condoms to fit on my penis.
>>
>>8118380
Maybe he's a big guy?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.