[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's 2016 and Hawking is even in the science industry, yet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
It's 2016 and Hawking is even in the science industry, yet his voice is still a 1970's Speak-and-Spell. Why?

The automatic teller at the bank has better technology.
>>
who the fucks cares
>>
>>8118135
I'm just curious why he doesn't get an upgrade.
>>
>>8118124
Because it's --his-- voice. It's personal by now.
>>
>>8118124
It's 2016 and OP still makes shit threads...
>>
>>8118124
Hawking doesn't like people recompiling his kernel and it would take too long to do himself.
>>
I think I read in an interview that it's because kids who lose their voices get excited by the prospect of sounding like him
>>
He can't even move his fingers - his only form of communication is via eye movements. He dictates his words before public appearances, and other people flip the switch for him.

Most public figures are like this to some degree. Hawking at least writes his own material.
>>
>>8118170
>Hawking at least writes his own material.
he writes literally none of it though
>>
>>8118153
This.
>>
>>8118145
>>8118153
it is his schtick

if he was healthy he would literally be a nobody to the general public
>>
File: DECtalk_DCT01_and_Tink.jpg (23 KB, 300x214) Image search: [Google]
DECtalk_DCT01_and_Tink.jpg
23 KB, 300x214
>>8118124
It's a DECtalk, and he's been using it so long, he basically owns that voice now.
>>
>>8118214
didn't know stephen hawking was actually a cat. that really puts meaning into the phrase "cat got your tongue"
>>
>>8118124
Who the fuck cares how he sounds? I'm more concerned about his interface, he still types slow and is typing even slower. If anything needs improvement, it's the interface
>>
>>8118758
Though in principle I agree, I'm not sure how much can be done right now. A neuro-based interface is probably the only realistic improvement, and those seem to be incredibly rudimentary at the moment (slowly moving a cursor probably wont help with efficiency).
>>
A pair of British artists who make a point of being cheeky and edgy at all times, once sculpted Hawking.
>>
>>8118124
It's basically what this anon said
>>8118153

He received the technology when it was in it's infancy, and didn't like it at first because it was in an American accent - but it grew on him. People have offered him better/updated voices over the years but he's turned them down. It's his voice now.
>>
Is he really still there? Or is this a weekend at bernie's kind of deal where the wheel him in with a preloaded script and shoot?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.