[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how to get good at math?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 1450232886914.png (103 KB, 1437x908) Image search: [Google]
1450232886914.png
103 KB, 1437x908
in the most unreasonable, anecdotal and baseless way, i believe a lot of it comes down to talent. i have a friend who is studying complex university level math, in his words most of the time he can reach the solution before he knows exactly why and what his thoughts leading up to it were.

for me as a grown pretentious man-child of 22 years i have severe problems even comprehending basic high school math, if i get it explained to me i still don't understand the reasoning. i didn't go to special-ed or whatever and i passed all my high school math and did ok in most subjects other than math.

i have interest in some scientific fields which obviously requires more math, can i overcome this borderline retardation? and what is it caused by? too little fish in my diet in infant years? is there such a thing as dyslexia but with numbers instead?

pic unrelated
>>
Yes.

Leave high school and take college courses in math. High school education in math (in the US) is so fucking retardedly structured it's unbelievable. It wasn't until uni that I developed a legitimate understanding of the material.

If you are out of uni, find a good textbook on the subject you want to learn. Go through chapter by chapter. Make sure you aren't skipping essential subjects. I believe curriculum typically goes algebra, pre calc (essentially algebra), calc, multi variable, DiffyQs, linear algebra, etc.
>>
Instead of calculating, which are brainless alghoritms that computers always do better, you need to understand the basic concepts. and purpose of why they are invented, and what problems they are solved.

To know that you need to read any math history book. Like this https://archive.org/details/AHistoryOfMathematics
>>
>>8117877
There are different processes at work inside our minds when we think in certain ways. Expressions as in societal interaction, fact retention, logical processes, abstract inductive reasoning, empathy, all of these are really important and generally a person is just better at one than others. It's actually rare to non-existent for one person to excel at most or all. If you're not great at one, don't sweat it, it probably just means you're really adept at another and you're not fully channeling it.
>>
PRACTICE PRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICE!!!!!!1!!!

this is how you get good at anything, just fucking grind it.
>>
>>8117877
>is there such a thing as dyslexia but with numbers instead

Dyscalculia. Depending how severe it is there's not a whole lot you can do, and if you have trouble adding numbers or keeping track of numbers easily I'd think about focusing on a career with minimal math involvement.
>>
File: 1464460841585.jpg (68 KB, 884x800) Image search: [Google]
1464460841585.jpg
68 KB, 884x800
>>8117877

Alright, I will break it down for you, dumbass. The first thing I would like to say is: you may be comparing your friend with yourself, yet please understand that, in reality, he is absolutely retarded, simply because math, logic, is infinite. Only an infinite mind can be good at it, so humans are pure shit at math. Secondly, you can only learn math proportionally to your free time, so congratulations, you will learn math pretty fast if you keep reading this, because you probably have lots of free time.

The two CORE principles that you must understand to gitgud at math, or logic, or physics or whatever:

1. The brain is for PROBLEM-SOLVING. So you absolutely cannot start from the text, you have to start with the PROBLEMS. If you start with the text, you will fail because it will be the same as conditioning yourself to read bullshit without any goal, meaning you will open the math book and then move to an esoteric /x/ tier shitpost, then to a popsci monkey video on youtube etc, in example . Before reading every chapter in the book, take a look at the PROBLEMS, starting with the HARD, ADVANCED, ones. Then work your way to the BASIC PROBLEMS, then take a break, then finally, start reading the chapter. Congratulations, superretard, now you are reading something with a goal. This is the #1 rule, I can't stress this enough.

2. The brain needs to be MOTIVATED in the first place. This means, that you must NOT be contempt with your current state! In fact, you must be incredibly pissed about yourself, to go through the motions and miracles of learning something serious. All the time that you wasted NOT LEARNING, nor even giving a fuck, about math is due to being basically satisfied with whatever bullshit you were doing. Basically, you were happy and now you are dumb. So DON'T be happy, if someone asks you how you are doing say BAD, SHIT, if someone asks "are you alright?" say NO. The worst thing that could happen is that they will try to help you, wow.
>>
>>8118210
*content, not contempt
Oops
>>
>>8118210
> is infinite.

I think, while we can express "infinite", it's not, truly. In an abstract sense, if math were truly infinite, there wouldn't be a finite amount of anything.

Where do you stand to throw a brick into infinity?

I know. Empty set, right? However, if math is "infinite" then concepts related to math are also infinite, and if, for example, probability is infinite, then I'd win the lottery right now, because it wouldn't matter if now is now or now is in 50 quadrillion years, we didn't get any closer to the infinite value of the chance. Bullshit word game, or reasonable explanation for a finite set of real numbers?
>>
>>8118259
Thanks for the word salad. I don't know what you're trying to express, but I can guarantee you that it's stupid and incorrect.
>>
As others have said, math is about understanding concepts and using them to solve problems. You wouldn't believe how many people get to college without having a strong grasp of something like multiplication, proportional and percentage reasoning. In secondary and high-school probably the best thing you could do is practice word problems because it reinforces you to translate English into mathematical symbolism and it stimulates your physical intuition (many mathematical concepts are best learned by having useful toy-examples that exemplify concrete physical scenarios).
>>
>>8117877
>how to get good at math?

Find a good explanation, then do rote practice until you're good at it.

You need to know why your doing something to understand it,
but being good at math is really about having done lots of math.
>>
>>8117877
browse moar dank Wildberger memes
>>
File: 1462457369981.jpg (176 KB, 1280x886) Image search: [Google]
1462457369981.jpg
176 KB, 1280x886
>>8118353
thiisss fammmm
>>
>>8118259
The universe waited a nearly infinite amount of time for me to read this.
>>
complete this book start to finish and you will be better than 99% of the population at math.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.