[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Convergence of series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1426734716109.jpg (12 KB, 300x307) Image search: [Google]
1426734716109.jpg
12 KB, 300x307
Hello, quick question:

Suppose I am to multiply two absolute convergent series and already know the convergence radius of both: it is r=1 with the convergence interval being [-1,1]. Now, what happens for this radius if I look at whatever comes out of the multiplication? Does the convergence radius change somehow because of the multiplication or does it stay r=1?
>>
>>8115056
the radius of convergence might be bigger than 1.
You know it's at least 1 easily, but if you take the series for sqrt(1-x) and multiply it by itself, you get 1-x which has an infinite radius of convergence.
>>
>>8115070

Oh, that makes things difficult. But thanks, now I won't make a mistake.
>>
>>8115056

Okay OP here again, I think I would need more help.

I need to find the series representation of [1/(1-x)]*[1/(1+x^2)] and state the convergence interval.
Now I have found the closed forms of both terms, they are sum k=0 to inf x^k and sum k=0 to inf (-1)^k*x^(2k). Both have the convergence radius r=1.

So what I do now? I thought about taking the cauchy product, but this is quite difficult and leads me to nowhere. Any tips on what to do?
>>
>>8115107
your reflex should be a partial fraction decomposition
[1/(1-x)]*[1/(1+x^2)] = 0.5 * [1/(1-x)] + 0.5 * [(1+x)/(1+x^2)]

you know the series of 1/(1-x), and you can easily find the series of (1+x)/(1+x^2) from the series of 1/(1+x^2)

you then just sum everything to obtain the general term.
You can then start looking for the radius of convergence
>>
>>8115122

Interesting approach, I haven't seen this used on series yet. I will try it this way, thanks!
>>
>>8115141
np

I think you're at a point where you have to become "creative" and use everything you have learned in the past instead of only the current lesson, aren't you?
>>
>>8115149

Yes, this is quite true. I would never have thought about partial fractions on my own. This is an important lesson.
>>
>>8115070
that's not how you multiply series
>>
>>8115444

this is going to be good. What was wrong about that?
>>
>>8115447
>>8115444
come on say it.
If you take the cauchy product you find exactly 1-x.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.