[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chess thread, what the shit edition. White to move and win.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot_2016-06-01-13-41-05.jpg (164 KB, 1080x1073) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-01-13-41-05.jpg
164 KB, 1080x1073
Chess thread, what the shit edition.

White to move and win.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-01-13-49-38.jpg (488 KB, 1080x1250) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-01-13-49-38.jpg
488 KB, 1080x1250
>>
>>8114946
Nd4 so the passed pawn on the a file can freely queen?
>>
>>8114965
Black is not obliged to take the knight, you know.
>>
>>8114969
he practically is, he cant move any closer to the pawn on so it can still queen freely, you know
>>
>>8114965
>>8114969
I'm shit at chess, but this comment made me realize, Nb4 means black either captures the knight allowing free passage or black moves to a position closer to the pawn and knight defends its next square.
>>
>>8114971
No it can't, black can always pick it up. Not the point, really. You can't go Nd4 Bh8 a6 or something.
>>
>>8114979
no it cant pick it up, Nd4 forces the black king out of the pawns capture box, checking the king on a6 if it pursues and forces it onto b6, from there mate is easy, and his bishop is blocked both by the pawn on f6 and the king on c5, so cant get to d4 to capture the knight and protect against the queening of the pawn on a
>>
>>8114987
Nigga give me a full line
>>
>>8114979
shit Im sorry I see what you mean, a6 is just met by b6 and white gains nothing, I guess the best move is Nd4, bh8, Nf5 then a long line of king maneuvering
>>
>>8114946
Any sources for getting into chess? Learning theory, tactics, openings, etc. And I'm talking for absolute beginners, like 500 elo-tier.
>>
>>8114987
>>8114994

To clarify though, Nd4 is the right first move, but you are arguing you'll be able to queen the a pawn. While the promotion is a threat that limits black, it plays no immediate role in the solution. You can't queen right now (it's bad to push the pawn too, but it's still winning if Bh8 due to something else, which is the point of the study) and we can assume black won't go full retard and take on d4.

Anyways, Nd4 Bh6 and what now?
>>
>>8114998
Depends on how motivated are you. I really have to make a pastebin for this, but easy mode: chessacademy, basic opening principles, basic pawn endgames. Hard mode: yusupov books. General tips: anything <15 minutes game don't give you enough time to think and improve, blitz tests your existing skill only, longer the better. Always look at checks, captures and threats until you make it automatic. Do a couple hundred problems on chesstempo, when you reach 1500 there, download ct art and burn through each level multiple times, first time taking as much time as you need, other times faster and faster so you burn dem patterns in real good. You need basic motifs in order not to lose instantly. When up material (that you gained because your retard opponent hung a piece), exchange all pieces. Learn how to mate with rook, with queen, with two rooks. Oh yeah, stay the fuck away from opening theory, if you learn anything deeper than 5 moves (except not falling into a fool's mate and such traps) before you stop hanging pieces, I'll personally beat you.

There, you are 1500 player now.
>>
>>8114999
you mean Bh8 right, Bh6 still leaves the bishop open to attack from Nf5. but after Nf5, Kb5, Kg3, Ka5, Kh3, Kb4, Kg4, Kc4, Kh5, Kd3, h4, Ke4, Kg6, Kf4, h5, (some black king move, maybe just f4f3), Ng7, Bg7, Kg7 from here there's a queening race that white wins on h8 with blacks pawn on f3 or something similar, white plays Qh1 protecting against black queening and mate comes easy
>>
>>8115011
adding to this, I just started on chess.com desu senpai. blitz through all the lessons on there and do the tractics and puzzles regulary and it'll at least give you a nice background fuzz of understanding, like learning how to automatically do sums in your head sets you up for higher math.
>>
>>8115024
Bh6 Nf5? Bf4 =
There's something much more elegant.
>>
>>8115032
idk senpai, finding a solution thats 'elegant' just because of bad play from the opponent seems a bit weird, but i cant find it so show me pl0x
>>
>>8115011
Thanks m8. Your help is much appreciated.
>>
>>8115055
>idk senpai, finding a solution thats 'elegant' just because of bad play from the opponent seems a bit weird, but i cant find it so show me pl0x
M8, I don't think you understand how chess problems work, it's not that it's "because of the bad play from the opponent", it also works with best play from your opponent. You gave a line where black equalises in a move, that's bad play by white.

Anyways, Nd4 Bg5 Kf3 f5 Ke2 and whatever black does loses. Point is, black's Bishop is fucking trapped. Check it out.
>>
>>8114955
Pls post a shittier pic. This one we can still make out to be a chess board
>>
>>8115076
We're all waiting on your high resolution scans of the Russian books from the seventies.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.