[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Summer Reading Book Suggestions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: PqD9V8km_400x400.png (313 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
PqD9V8km_400x400.png
313 KB, 400x400
Hey all -

Soon to be STEM /sci/ major here.

I was interested in some book suggestions that would be good to read over the summer.

Some stuff I prefer if you could suggest within the category -

Math Philosophy (interesting Math subjects, abstract ideas, perhaps a more advanced book akin to Vsauce / Numberphiles' subjects)

Science books discussing interesting and somewhat controversial topics, as well as political and economic development of drugs, medicine, etc

Physics / Abstract Mathematical mindfuck books that don't make sense but make all the sense in the world fundamentally

Or really just any /sci/ books you recommend.

Thanks for any and all help!

Cheers.
>>
>>8112588
Proofs from the BOOK
http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783642008566
>>
>>8112592
This looks pretty interesting.

How hard would it be to read and study with only elementary / undergraduate experience?
>>
I'm actually in your same situation and would like to get some suggestions as well.
>>
>>8112588
>vsauce numberphile

absolute shit
if you like math do linear algebra from hoffman kunze
or analysis from Tao
both are great for starting
>>
>>8112601
It's not really for studying as much as for reading some interesting proofs.
>>
>>8112588

Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid

It's a pretty neat book.
>>
>>8112588
If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

If you want help with your homework, go to /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests.

If you want to fap use the goofy picture you posted faggot.
>>
>>8112588
>some book suggestions that would be good to read over the summer.

Book of Proof - Hammack
Calculus - Spivak

Get the basics down, then fuck your mind later.
>>
>>8113441
I did exactly this the summer before my first year of undergrad. It left me very well prepared.
>>
>>8112601
It's not really a textbook for learning, but a collection of ingenious proofs from a variety of fields. I've read it a few years ago and as far as I remember it uses mostly elementary methods (differentiation, complex numbers, some linear algebra, etc., but nothing too hard) to prove surprising results.
>>
>>8112588
Learning SQL. Need to know a good book.
>>
File: 4cbspix.png (279 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
4cbspix.png
279 KB, 400x400
>>8112588
>>
>>8113482

Lynda's PHP with MySQL helped me with it. Or just google that shit. its too easy to find programming tuts
>>
>>8112588
Norbert Wiener: Cybernetics or control and communication in the animal and the machine.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.