[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't normally use this board, but i think i might have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 20160530_223806.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160530_223806.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
I don't normally use this board, but i think i might have fucked up real bad. Can a chemistry buff please help me figure out what ive created. I put 4 parts potassium carbonate to one part potassium ferrocyanide and it hardened, gave off alot of heat, a hard white chunk was left at the bottom of the test tube and the liquid produced was a dark pink in color. I did this in a room with shit ventilation and i have an insanely bad hedache, i did this in the bottom quarter of a small test tube, so it was a miniscule amount, is this placebo or am i going to die. Also what did i produce as a product? Thanks my dudes.

Pic related, the hard bit that settled at the bottom.
>>
I meant to say sodium carbonate, not potassium carbonate, sorry.
>>
Great job man
You are now irradiated
>>
sodium cyanide maybe? If you were gonna die you'd be dead already
>>
You need to call the bomb squad you have created a nuculear bomb and if it goes off you are fucked, and if u live u are fucked
>>
>>8110172
What no pls
>>
>>8110173
Yeah sodium cyanide seems possible, and thats somewhat comforting because im not dead yet.
>>
>>8110166
Potassium ferrocyanide itself is essentially non-toxic on ingestion.

The combination of potassium ferrocyanide and strong acid does liberate HCN.

You claim not to have added acid, but rather to have added base.

It is not clear from your post if there was any solvent present at the outset.

If water was present (as solvent, or possibly from the hydrate of the ferrocyanide), then likely the heat was that of dissolution, and the remaining solid is present b/c the solution is super saturated.

Nothing of interest occurred, you're a sperg having a panic attack.

I can't believe I bothered to give a serious reply to this shit.

>>8110182
>NaCN
non-volatile, as long as you didn't eat/drink any of it you'll be fine.
>>
>>8110187
Im super new to chemistry and i really appreciate the reply man. You have certainly put me at ease, one of my friends was being a dick and saying i produced potassium salt and cyanide gas, obviously being new i couldn't really dispute it so i shat myself.
>>
>>8110194
why are you mucking around without having a fucking clue what you're doing?

that's not chemistry, that's pathetically sad stupidity.
>>
Looks like some high purity jenk concentrate.
>>
>>8110166

You can google a lot of common chemical reactions. But really, don't play chemist if you have no idea what you're doing or what your products will be. Go to school and do that stuff in a lab with proper equipment and understanding before you gas yourself some how.
>>
>>8110199
Ive learnt my lesson. Definitely playing it safe from now on, 100%
>>
>>8110210
Don't play at all you idiot. It's clear you don't even have the brains of a pack mule otherwise you'd have done that from the start.

The best thing you can do is bin all your chemistry shit and go find a job as a manual labourer somewhere so that the intelligent parts of society can at least derive some benefit from your abject stupidity.
>>
>>8110218
Im a botanist :/
Chemistry isnt my strong point and never has been, its not that i didnt have any clue what i was doing, i just realised that the source i was using was dodgey as shit and probably was trying to gas me. But yeah i probably will throw out my chemistry shit and stick to looking at plants and shit.
>>
>>8110222
Dude botany is fuxking cool
>>
>>8110222
Yeah, careful. Next time, you might end up a... Vegetable.

And you know how bad of a thing that is.
>>
File: Horrified bell peppers.jpg (33 KB, 580x437) Image search: [Google]
Horrified bell peppers.jpg
33 KB, 580x437
>not sure what I'm making
>fucking around with cyanides
please don't do this. there are plenty of chemicals to play with that involve much less risk of kill
and if there is any uncertainty whatsoever, use a fume hood, or at least a room with a big-ass fan pointed out the window.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.