[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Time Magazine There was a study done at Oak Ridge Lab. by Paul
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1350785177926.jpg (962 KB, 2612x1924) Image search: [Google]
1350785177926.jpg
962 KB, 2612x1924
Time Magazine

There was a study done at Oak Ridge Lab. by Paul C. Aebersold in 1953 that found that 98 percent of all the atoms in a person’s body change out every year, and that within five years all the atoms had changed.

?????????????????????????????????????????

yup there goes any idea of having a conciousness blown the fuck out.

So /sci how do you explain this one, how are we anything other than a walking computer program, you can replace every atom and its still us so its nothing physical whatsoever, just a program?
>>
>>8110094
This is widely known. Did you derp or do you actually think this somehow related to consciousness? I don't disagree that we are deterministic. Use a dictionary?
>>
>>8110096

well this just proves beyond any doubt there is no physical thing that is a human conciousness.

our "conciousness" is just the program in our brain, it can be recreated on completely new atoms.
>>
>>8110103
It just implies that consciousness isn't a set of atoms.
>>
>>8110094

>time magazine

nothing to see, move along

just replied for the awesome pic
>>
File: aus.jpg (189 KB, 379x395) Image search: [Google]
aus.jpg
189 KB, 379x395
>>8110094

this is what passes as an ""argument"" on sci
>>
If you change the head of the axe and then change the handle of the axe is it still the same axe?
>>
>>8110114

why would it be the same axe, its now 2 completely different axes joined together.
>>
>>8110103
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
>>
>>8110119

So thats pretty much stating that i am now a totally different person to who i was 5 years ago.
>>
>>8110118
that is a pretty simplistic way of looking at it
>>
>>8110123
And yet, due to the fact that there was no boundary between the "original" you and the "present" you, what does that mean?

It means that you are a dynamical system, not a distinct collection of particles. But there are plenty of other reasons to see it that way already. Think of all of the bacterial cells in your body. All of the simpler life that is vital to our life. Doesn't have any bearing on consciousness.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.