[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Physics Major interested in Mechanical Engineering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: ibbCxVrSBm5zWj.jpg (491 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ibbCxVrSBm5zWj.jpg
491 KB, 1920x1080
I'm incredibly interested in picking up ME as a hobby, and I'm not too sure where to start. I want to stay a physicist though.
>>
A programmable lego or kinect set? Idk. Most mechanicals I saw were working on simulations in matlab and shit. They really didn't do anything intricate, just reviewing real physical properties (stresses and such) and production methods. I almost forgot production, they did a lot of that side. Different types of physical and chemical bonding, lots of shit. Look up your universities curriculum.
>>
>>8106385
>Idk.
Then why are you replying you fucking mouthbreather?
>>
>>8106403
Literally every web browser has an embedded search engine at the top. You're the nigger too stupid to use it.

I assumed you weren't a dribbling retard and wanted our personal experience. I was mistaken.
>>
I just want to design and build shit lol as well as the calculations.
>>
>>8106413
>Sat)
not OP
>>
>>8106380
>>8106380
> ME as a hobby
What does that even mean?
Do you want to learn how to do technical drawing or something? I assume you know how to do numerical PDE solving, so that's the only thing I can think of.

t. ME
>>
I made it pretty clear during my university admissions that I had little to no "mechanical engineering hobbies" because its not like I can start playing around with my own CNC / 3d printer at home and that my actual desire to become a MEng was because I liked physics and practical applications of science.
>>
>Learn about manufacture, fournaces, and materials selection.
>Try to design some mechanical system (something simple since I'm assuming you don't know about gears, pistons, and other machine elements.
>take the manufacture into account. ie. see if it's doable.
>>
>>8106380
>A programmable lego or kinect set? Idk. Most mechanicals I saw were working on simulations in matlab and shit. They really didn't do anything intricate,

You mean applications of mechanics of continuous medias ?

It is great, it is very interesting.
>>
>>8106380
I post here about hoverboards but /sci/ is never interested because as this guy >>8106426 exemplifies /sci/ is all about passing exams and nothing more.

If you live in England you can join my hoverboard project. You may even make money. I can't tell you all the details because some of it is patentable but you are welcome to help out with propeller efficiency and frame stress experiments. Honestly I don't need you, I'm just doing this to be nice but if you can program or do CFD simulations that would actually be helpful to me.
>>
>>8106523
I build robots. I just don't use any ME knowledge to do it.
So it sounds like you're looking for a hackerspace?
>>
>>8106533
Last hackerspace I went to was full of neckbeards. Never again.
>I just don't use any ME knowledge to do it.
But with aircraft you have to even if it's basic. Furthermore if you were designing the actuators yourself you would have but yeah hobbies can be anything from plug n play to calculate and machine custom parts. There's no "hoverboard kit" in existence so I pretty much have to design, build and test most parts myself which is what makes it engineering. Sorry for accusing you of being an exam monkey, it just sounded to me like you never had any interest in ME outside of the classroom.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.