[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I made a hypothetical planet called "Cerza" which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: stu.jpg (2 MB, 3000x1998) Image search: [Google]
stu.jpg
2 MB, 3000x1998
So I made a hypothetical planet called "Cerza" which I think would be just great for life, try and find any flaws in it.

Cerza is a water planet with an average global temperature of 500 degrees Celsius, so I guess steam planet is better. It's 2 times larger than Earth and its atmosphere of water vapor is 10 time denser. Its home star is the same size as ours so to achieve its heat it would be about 3 times closer to its star than ours. The dense atmosphere would act as a sort of buffed up ozone layer for the planet, defending it from harmful radiation but still spreading the ambient heat out. Also because of the planets higher gravity coupled with being so close to its star, it would receive a lot of meteor strikes, but most of these would be obliterated from the friction of the atmosphere, safely spreading out all the elements carried from space, stuff needed for life.

Now why I think this planet would be good for life is because of many factors:
1. the primordial pool of Earth had the mixing of chemicals in water to form large organic molecules, I think super-heated gas would provide even more mixing for the process.
2. Because of the planets higher attraction for asteroids, more elements from space would be brought to the planet allowing more chemical possibilities.
3. Water is a universal solvent for chemicals of all types, especially good for organics. Having even more of it seems like a good thing.
4. Life needs energy, and there's a hell lot of energy in this world with the heat. Some primitive life could survive simply by absorbing the ambient heat from its surroundings.

Would life work?
>>
>>8102768
>500 degrees Celsius

Yeah, because fuck proteins, let's jump directly to autobots.
>>
>>8102768
> average global temperature of 500 degrees Celsius,
It's completely sterile, and inhabited by nothing larger than carbon dioxide molecules.
>>
>>8102768
Ever thought about the fucking temperature, pressure and gravity making a whole lot of chemical processes necessary for biological processes to be fucking impossible to achieve?

I mean if you want a giant petri dish where you can just grow some retarded version of a single celled organism then yeah, why not?
>>
Universe is infinite
>>
File: 0rgTDSQ[1].jpg (19 KB, 256x206) Image search: [Google]
0rgTDSQ[1].jpg
19 KB, 256x206
please take your fanfiction elsewhere
>>
>>8102835
You can't know that without knowing the mass and radius of the planet. OP only said the planet was 2 times the size of earth; is that referring to the radius or the mass or surface gravity or what?
>>
>>8102768
>500 degrees Celsius
>atmosphere of water vapor
>atmosphere ... is 10 time denser
Pretty much the only thing that could possibly naturally live there to my understanding are microbes and basic thermal/chemical vent dependent life. Assuming that life could even form there in the first place.

>Life needs energy, and there's a hell lot of energy in this world with the heat
Then the sun must be chocked full of life.

Consider thinking of its magnetic field, its rotation, its orbit (they're never perfectly circular), its moons, where it is in its galaxy, other planets in its solar system, the density of the planet(not just its size) and the age of its star (is it expanding to a red giant? is it about to go supernova?).

ps.
"Its home star is the same size as ours"
size sure. But what kind of star is it? Class- O,B,A,F, G, K, M? Kind of important.
>>
>>8102889
OP here.

It's 2 times the radius of Earth and its atmosphere is 10 times the density of Earth, so since the planet is practically all water vapor that means its 20 times the mass of Earth with 2 times the volume.
>>
>>8102893
The sun is the same size and type as ours, and the planets orbit would also be the same as ours. I don't know about its magnetic field though because its just made of vapor.
>>
>>8102896
If that's the case, the temperature of the planet would have to be ~25,000 K for the water molecules to escape. Plus I was curious what phase water would be at 500 C and 10 atm, and it appears it's past the vapor/liquid critical point, which would be interesting. This actually got me thinking, at what temperature would water break apart into it's constituent H and O molecules? It turns out at 500 C, the average energy per particle is 1.6*10^-20 J, while the H-O bond has an energy of 7.7*10^-19 J. They are just on the brink of breaking apart, but there's nothing unstable about the planet itself, but as for life I have to agree with this anon: >>8102791
>>
>>8102768
>average global temperature of 500 degrees Celsius
>which I think would be just great for life
I'm glad you're not God.
>>
>>8102768
>the primordial pool of Earth had the mixing of chemicals in water to form large organic molecules
the primordial pool of earth also wasn't 500 degree Celsius. It's widely agreed that conditions were met in very few areas of the planet during certain time periods where Earth had no oxygen, had the correct amount of organic materials squished into an area with enough energy, and the right type of energy, to form amino acids, which formed into proteins, which could have formed RNA which began replicating since it could store information and replicate it, and that's where shit gets fuzzy because first life isn't really known, just speculated.. OP, give up this endeavor. Take some biology, geology and chemistry courses, they can guide you in the right direction.
>>
>>8102768
I've created an ideal planet for life too!
Check it out:

1. Planet is made of just water. No rocks or shit, just water. Its gravity holds it all together.

2. Planet has some life on it already.

3. Planet is inside a star.

Would it work?
>>
>>8103011
Based on the preexistence of life, I would say that planet is perfectly viable for forming life. I'd start writing a paper immediately if I were you, don't want to be scooped.
>>
>>8103011
>Planet is inside a star.
Water can't exist inside a star, unless it's a very very dim star. Even brown dwarfs and Jupiter-like planets (which both have tiny luminosities compared to our sun) cannot sustain a planet sized amount of water, the gravity is just too large and pressure too high for anything other than a plasma.
>>
>>8102768
>500 c
>life
please take 8th grade biology again. proteins denaturate at 50c. if the ambient temperature is higher than that, proteins cant form and life wont be possible
>>/b/
>>/r9k/
pick one and stay there
>>
It would be a planet of nothing but samples from the kingdom Archaea
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.