[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly happens in your body when you reach your breaking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: 1397696440278.jpg (62 KB, 532x502) Image search: [Google]
1397696440278.jpg
62 KB, 532x502
What exactly happens in your body when you reach your breaking point?

How does mental and physical exhaustion differ?

And how can you know what your true and imagined breaking point is?

Examples: when I am running and feel the urge to stop but keep going on until I feel like I just have to stop. Was this my phyiscal or psychological breaking point or was it neither? Could I still have went on for longer? What prevented me from it?

Similarly when studying and I just feel too tired to focus. What exactly is it that prevents me to study for another hour or two?

And: how can you push your limits? Practice?
>>
>>8101085
pratice helps build endurance in almost all things. To answer your question it's a bit of both it's a safety guard/device in your mind and body to not over exhaust anything. Just listen to it and don't push yourself to hard you will probably won't amount to anything anyway.
>>
File: 1463864184680.png (236 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1463864184680.png
236 KB, 400x400
>>8101093
>will probably won't
>>
inhale propane
>>
>>8101085
I am also curious about this.

I know it's possible to condition yourself to handle heavier loads and longer periods of stress, that's part of the reason why most armies have a "boot camp", to familiarize soldiers with how to literally get the most performance for the lowest amount of effort.

If you want a serious answer, I would suggest phoning up your country's military information center. Most of them have it, even if it's hidden behind "questions from the public" or other names.

They have a very real, very strong need to be able to predictably push people beyond their normal limits of tolerance, so if you ask for resources there, at the very least they should share their publicized research with you.
>>
>>8101085
Besides musclar failure they are both connected to the hpa axis where after the flight or fight response is activated for long time, the cortisol and glucocorticoids produced from the system begin to negatively effect the body. The best way to increase your duration in stressful encounters then is to learn to relax and not activate said response as much.
>>
>>8103569
I think you mean it's to get familiar with stressful situations. Relaxing in a real fight or flight situation is often literally death.
>>
>>8101085
>your breaking point?
your what?

do not expect logical answers when your premise itself is unfounded
>>
>>8103580
>t. never pushed himself till he threw up, then continued pushing till he fainted

Haha, yeah, unfounded.

Climb a tree or something, god.
>>
>>8103583
why didn't you just say
>push yourself physically until you faint
in the op? Why didn't you?
>>
File: oh bother.png (16 KB, 760x205) Image search: [Google]
oh bother.png
16 KB, 760x205
>>8103584
>>
>>8103584
>breakĀ·ing point
>noun
>the moment of greatest strain at which someone or something gives way.
That's what OP said.
>>
>>8101085

>Taking make or break class
>4 tests decide if you pass or fail
>Stressed out for first test
>Get emailed practice test weekend before the test
>Nothing from what we went over in class
>Email the professor about this, no response
>Stress level maximum
>Cram the entire weekend
>Drinking energy drinks like water
>Monday(day of test) get email saying that was a practice test for another class, also no class today, test on Tuesday.
>Spend the entire day feeling like I could die from all the stress
>Can't fall sleep, constantly want to vomit.
>Day of the test, I don't feel anything.
>I could die right now and I would not care
>100% at peace with the universe
>Want to just lay back and watch life pass me by
>Take the test and do fine
>Continue through class
>Still feel like this
>Struggling to study because I just don't care anymore

I think I found the breaking point. Going past it takes you to a strange but calm place.
>>
>>8103573
That's much better way to put it yes. Don't know why I half asses that last statement of mine.
>>
File: 1406794275651.jpg (10 KB, 149x149) Image search: [Google]
1406794275651.jpg
10 KB, 149x149
>>8103644
>Get emailed practice test weekend before the test
>Nothing from what we went over in class
>Email the professor about this, no response
>Stress level maximum
>Cram the entire weekend
>Drinking energy drinks like water
>Monday(day of test) get email saying that was a practice test for another class, also no class today, test on Tuesday.
>>
>>8101085
its lack of oxygen and glyogen, muscle tear, mental stress, probably more
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.