[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else worry that the distance between human related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (133 KB, 1916x816) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
133 KB, 1916x816
Does anyone else worry that the distance between human related science and technology grows bigger and bigger?

Our bodies remained pretty unchanged in all these years yet technology grows. We still don't understand how our brains work. We still can't cure a lot of illnesses and surgery is still is not complication free. But we fly to space, have self driving cars and high resolution displays that can be controlled by gestures.

Are medical fields neglected or are those simply more difficult and thus produce less and slower results? It should have top priority in my opinion since it has the biggest effect on wellbeing. What does all that fancy technology help if you suffer from pain?
>>
>>8096342
>le smartphones are the only new development meme
So you're retard #342214 who only sees smartphones so assume that's the pinnacle of human technology. How about you go compare cancer survival rates between 1970 and now?
>>
>>8096347
way to strawman op. of course our medical tech is better than it ever was but it's developing slowly to what it could and should be. this is because of how industry is structured, a symptom of fucked up priorities. we have more people involved in developing bullshit apps than we have in medical research.
>>
>>8096364
and don't get me started on all the biometric gimmicks like the fitbit and what not that soaks up bmes who should be working on actually useful things.
>>
>>8096364
Because OP, in his wisdom, is the final arbiter in how quickly science should progress
>>
>>8096342
> still don't understand how our brains work

Speak for yourself. I don't give 2 shits about mapping the brain, the only important thing is the learning function, which is well understood by even any AI undergrad
>>
>>8096364
Because more people have use for bullshit apps than they do for a hyperspecialized cure to some rare disease.
>>
>>8096370
so it shouldn't be developing faster? c'mon man.
>>
>>8096376
except when they get one of those diseases. see this myopic thinking is exactly our problem.
>>
>>8096383
>see this myopic thinking is exactly our problem.
Quite the opposite in fact. It's the ego-centrism behind OP's wish that is the problem. Why waste considerable resources on such comparably small problems? Because *I* might get the disease? How utterly reprehensibly selfish.
>>
>>8096389
Yes because you might get the disease. And guess what in that process you help everyone else who does get the disease. Don't be a dumbass this is your only life, don't piss it away on stupid apps.
>>
>>8096389
>I'd let myself die just not to seem selfish by some retarded ethical standard
This is what useful idiots actually believe.
>>
>>8096364
apps are easier to develop and as >>8096376 lots of people want it.
>>
>>8096402
And sitting around jacking off is even easier but it doesn't make it worthwhile.
>>
>>8096364
>but it's developing slowly
>slowly
>source: my completely arbitary metric based on a complete lack of understanding for both medicine and technology
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.