[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Archimedes’ Death Ray
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: 1.gif (48 KB, 400x217) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
48 KB, 400x217
historical accuracy aside, is this a viable idea?

how difficult would it be to make it work?
>>
>>8093894
They tried to do it on mythbusters
>>
>>8093894
Archimedes was straight balling.
>>
>>8093894
It's unlikely that the wood will burn
You can however burn the sails
>>
>>8094448
and the sailors?
>>
Even if it didn't work very well, consider how you, the captain of a ship, would react if a rumor of such a thing existed and you,on moving towards the city, beheld a flashing, blinding array of mirrors and saw your sails begin to blacken and smoulder.

I would sail the other way at full speed.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5loiW3STzU
>>
>>8094094
>Balling
>Lost the battle
>>
>>8093894
We're having enough trouble making it work, even with modern technology.

To make it worse, trolls and shills are trying to downplay any advances it makes by claiming that successful bird zaps are rare and not happening constantly like planned.

It also just caught itself on fire.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (391 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
391 KB, 1920x1080
>>8096492
and i forgot pic
>>
File: 41HTXa+HkAL._SY355_.jpg (18 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
41HTXa+HkAL._SY355_.jpg
18 KB, 355x355
They sell them on amazon.

All he'd need is a parabolic mirror with a very long focal length, OR an adjustable focal length. Perhaps a polished sheet of thin flexible metal suspended in a frame with a screw or wire attached in the center. Pulling the center wire/turning the center screw will adjust the focal length. I don't know why they didn't do this on Mythbusters.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.