[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anything I can do to prepare my anus for Physical Chemistry I?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 12e7b25fb96.gif (82 KB, 390x293) Image search: [Google]
12e7b25fb96.gif
82 KB, 390x293
Anything I can do to prepare my anus for Physical Chemistry I? I've taken math up to Calc III (series/sequences/multivariate).
>>
Thermo, thermo, thermo buddy. Get the textbook by Raff and understand how partials work before you start.
>>
>>8086103
The pchem book we're using is by Atkins and de Paulo, is it any good? And by book do you mean A Conceptual Guide to Thermodynamics by L M Raff
>>
the fuck I asked this same question yesterday, also took up to calc III. evidently most of the math is calc 1 and 2 with some linear algebra and diff eq thrown in. I haven't taken either so I feel fucked
>>
>>8086182
Didn't see that thread broski, yeah I haven't taken linear alg or diffeq

What uni?
>>
>>8086073
I was discussing this with an american poster the other day, now I might be wrong but you better have some notions of Fourier analysis, and obviously Linear Algebra, Analytic geometry, Linear Diffs and Partials
>>
>>8086307
I'd agree if you're talking about p chem in general i agree but for p chem I (kinetics and thermo) it's mostly linear and differential equations
>>
Also some notions in group theory are useful for p chem II but I guess not totally required.
>>
>>8086307
>>8086313
The only linear algebra I know is being able to punch systems of equations into my calculator and having it solve them for me...

And I know very little of differential equations.
>>
>>8086329
The book I used had a section dedicated to the math required for the course. I didn't really go through it but if yours has a section like that it might be useful to give it a look
>>
>>8086073
that's really all you need
Don't get all bogged down in the math OP
the math isn't the hard part of pchem
it's the concepts and the actual chemistry that's the hard part
the math is just used as a tool to explain the chemistry, seriously the math isn't the hard part
>>
>>8086350
Thanks m8, it's just an intro pchem course, so I'm hoping it's not too bad.
>>
>>8086386
I'm assuming you're pretty far into your major. If you're this far into it and have calc III you'll be fine
>>
>>8086138
Nah, principles of physical chemistry by the Same LM Raff. Great book, both in depth and broad, although it may be a grad level text for some reason. My pchem classes were actually taught by a guy who was a student of Raff's while he was writing this book.
>>
>>8086329
Don't worry, you only need a little bit of measure theory and analysis on manifolds
>>
>>8086487
Oh boy
>>
>>8086391
>I'm assuming you're pretty far into your major. If you're this far into it and have calc III you'll be fine
Yeah, I'm about to be a senior in biochemistry.
>>
>>8086530
If you've done all that calc the Math in Pchem is a breeze.

The hardest thing you'd find would be a kinetics question if the total order of reaction was greater than maybe two or three, the integrated rate equation for a third order reaction is ugly as sin. Your calc might be handy though champ
>>
>>8087239
>If you've done all that calc the Math in Pchem is a breeze.
Like I said, the only math I've done is up to multivariate calculus. We had a touch of simple diff eq's in there, and I know enough to play around with systems of equations.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.