[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do you avoid a motherfucking professor from stealing your idea?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1455591307897.png (396 KB, 1200x750) Image search: [Google]
1455591307897.png
396 KB, 1200x750
how do you avoid a motherfucking professor from stealing your idea?
>>
>>8080434
Don't tell it to them
>>
File: stalin.png (658 KB, 1000x512) Image search: [Google]
stalin.png
658 KB, 1000x512
>>
>>8080438
what if it's for an assignment
>>
>>8080441
Every university has different laws regarding property rights of the student over his or her ideas. Some states make it illegal for your professor to steal your idea. Others make it illegal for you to profit on your idea at all, claiming that if you came up with it on university time, the university owns all rights to it, which is bullshit, but it's what companies almost universally do. Check your university rules and state laws to get a real answer OP if you're serious about this question.
>>
>>8080462
interesting. thank your for that response.
what terms should I look for in that regard? all I can found regarding plagiarism is more directed towards students who try to cheat on assignments, and not on their own rights of their intellectual property.
>>
>>8080441
share it in front of everybody.
>>
>>8080438

:thread
>>
>>8080469
Stuff like that is intentionally left ambiguous. You need to have a sit down in person with a higher up, call a lawyer, or go to a courthouse.
>>
You can't. If it's that big of an idea the least of your worries is your professor, there is likely someone already working on it or close to it.

Don't just sit on your idea work on it.

>>8080441
If it's for a class you can take advantage of university equipment to develop your idea, either for a paper or real invention and get a head start on people. Seriously this happens a lot.
>>
theres no need to do anything. University professors are miles up their own arse, they never take anything done by an undergraduate seriously.
>>
>>8080675
Sometimes /sci/ lets me know how great my education was with all of their absurd horror stories about academics.
>>
>>8080462

Others make it illegal for you to profit on your idea at all, claiming that if you came up with it on university time, the university owns all rights to it.

I fucking hate this, but almost every major company as well as university has this is some sort of ambiguous writing, and then their expensive ass lawyers know exactly how to rape you in court with it, if it ever makes it there.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.