[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sci/, how can I help bring forth the singularity? Plan is to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: SHODAN_1.jpg (26 KB, 250x269) Image search: [Google]
SHODAN_1.jpg
26 KB, 250x269
/sci/, how can I help bring forth the singularity?

Plan is to become an AGI researcher; almost done with my master's (compsci) but not sure how to find a fitting phd position - there is at best tangentially generic "machine learning" shit available, and I don't have any special qualifications to expect to be accepted anywhere else over the expected hordes of I-want-to-suck-deep-learnings-cock-cucks.

I am a German citizen only if that changes anything.

Is there any other way to become a (reasonably paid) AGI reasearcher than aquire phd, gobble google dick? Additional constraint would be that it should work as fast as possible (emphasis on the last word).
>>
>>8066554
No, working for google deepmind is the best thing you could do.

Sure, you could try Ben goertzel "hey guys lets open source AGI xD" or the many other even less respectable initiatives in AGI.
>>
>>8066581
And how praytell am I getting accepted there with just a master's in compsci? It's not like everyone wants to work there...
>>
>Feel when everyone is obsessed with making cold, unfeeling, unconscious superintelligent oracles but you just want a socially-oriented companionbot of intelligence comparable to that of a cat's but in an attractive humanoid frame with behaviors that are spontaneous and interesting though not at all times useful

Fucking singularity shitters ruined everything
>>
>>8066650
Every problem will be solved by cold, unfeeling, unconscious superintelligent oracles, including that of your stupid unnecessary robot cat you stupid shit. Just get a real cat instead of asking scientists to kill us.
>>
>>8066774
Maybe but then there's the fact that it's incredibly unlikely that we will know how to build let alone be capable of building said oracles within this millennia.

>instead of asking scientists to kill us
What.
>>
>>8066819
Theoretically once we are uploaded our body is disposed of....thus killing us...
>>
>>8066819
>mfw instead of arriving inside a perfectly simulated anime world a copy of our brain goes to do that while our actual consciousness dies and we have to go to the main menu (or heaven and hell) of life again...

>all I wanted to do was be Mario, visit the pokemon and digital world and travel with Vash the Stampede...
;-;
>>
>>8066902
Uh, sure, but the sentence "Just get a real cat instead of asking scientists to kill us" doesn't really make sense in this context.
>>
You should get a PhD, since it will get you experience and connections to doing actual research.

If everyone works for one company then we are being slowed by an artifical bottleneck to entry. Make your own company or find other funding for your research. Crowdsource the god damn singularity if you think it will work. If this is really what you want then you will be able to accept not being a pampered pet of our Google overlords in exchange for getting to do some real work.
>>
>>8066774
>Every problem will be solved by cold, unfeeling, unconscious superintelligent oracles,
>implying all problems have solutions
>>
>>8066930
Stop trying to bring reality into a thread about the singularity!
>>
>>8066554
somebody please develop a sitcom/band/media outlet named 'gobble google dick'
>>
>>8067265
Additionally, would anybody be willing to inform me on how good of a chance someone embarking upon a Phys&Phil MSci follwed by a PhD in particle physics will have in securing a career within this field? I'm thinking of quantum computing mainly but are there any people more experienced than myself to educate me on my chances/level of practicality?
>>
>>8067278
Ask again when you're not underage
>>
>>8067291
Additionally, would anybody be willing to inform me on how good of a chance someone embarking upon a Phys&Phil MSci follwed by a PhD in particle physics will have in securing a career within this field? I'm thinking of quantum computing mainly but are there any people more experienced than myself to educate me on my chances/level of practicality?
>>
>>8066930
>"Multivac, can you reverse entropy?"
>>
>>8067299
Cute, kid, but you're still 15
>>
AGI should be banned just like human cloning. We can still get all the benefits from non-neural machine learning techniques, without all the risk of AGI.
>>
>>8067332
why?
>>
>>8066819
They kill us by not inventing the oracles but instead your stupid shit cat toy. The cat problem is already solved on top of that.

>not in this millenia
>humans will not be able to fly because they are heavier than air
>512mb ought to be enough
>hucka hacka bum bum! human never into findings way of openings coconut without smashing head against!

>>8066902
I am not my body but my consciousness, also I am not talking about uploading but sweet nanowizardry.

>>8066930
You stupid piece of shit of a defeatist moron. You can roll over and emprace your destiny as worm fodder, I at least intend to die fighitng.

>>8067340
Ok professor, may I ask for citations? Also noone says AGI = neural shit, it is just the golden boy right now.

>>8066926
Thank you for the motivation, seems like the right path to me too. Thing is that I am not an extraordinary student (at least grade-wise, I think my motivation is extraordinary) and my home university has nothing related to AGI; and the chances at being accepted anywhere else for a phd are significantly lower if it is as I hear.

>>8067278
I know almost nothing about quantum computing, so only strategical advice. First step would be to read up on it, current challenges, chances etc. and then decide. But then it seems confusing that you planned your path out so far ahead but still want to get into this field. Maybe re-plan? Heard a talk a few month ago about neural quantum computing, there is a paper so maybe start by searching for that and work backwards from there.

A general thing which really grinds my gears is that there is the possibility that we unlock immortality for the assholes who spent their lives maximising their wealth with unnecessary shit noone needs, who will in turn use their power to ensure nobody else can enter olympus. What do we do against that? inb4 feel the bern. As if there remains an un-hacked part of your shitty "de-muh-cra-tuh"
>>
>>8068180
>You stupid piece of shit of a defeatist moron. You can roll over and emprace your destiny as worm fodder, I at least intend to die fighitng.

Instead of insulting you and commiting a painful typo I should just have suggested you google "continuum fallacy". Sorry. (The fallacy is that yes, very likely entropy will devour us all, but a day more is a day more, and boy is it a long time until the heat death of the universe. Fixing this stupid hardware problem we have right now with our meat should give us enough time to think about that also. maybe we could use some black hole wizardry to cheat time. Maybe something we relative ants can't fathom right now. Maybe there will indeed be no way out, but then I'd still prefer to die by heat death of the universe in some bazillion years instead of the blind idiot god's errors during the start of the tutorial)
>>
Just lock yourself in a basement with no connections to the outside world for a few years and do nothing but create and improve AI, eventually you will create true sentience and you can turn your creation loose on the world.
>>
>>8068307
And how do I pay the cluster?
>>
>>8066554
>read a Modern Approach
>still talking about the singularity

Why
Why would you think an algorithm that general even exists, or that you could overcome combinatorial explosion?
>>
>>8067349
Your mom had sex with your father 15 years and 9 months ago
>>
>>8068337
You can work from remote as software/Web developer
>>
>>8068619
This is actually plan B.

Would be better to not work as a computer plumber but actually have a position where you can do the great work AND get paid for it.
>>
>>8068614
>Modern Approach
>How to open a coconut
>>
>>8067340
>AGI should be banned just like human cloning. We can still get all the benefits from non-neural machine learning techniques, without all the risk of AGI.
I'm inclined to agree, but China will just build one in secret.
>>
>>8068180
This would be sad if it wasn't so funny. Angry nerds with too much time on their hands praying for robot Jesus to save them. Strange world.
>>
>>8068644
I know anon, buy you have to realize that most company only work on "weak" AI because that's where the money are

AGI is still pie in the sky...but I know that there are some groups working on it, it's not just deepmind

For example once I've heard about a small, 10-15 people company working on AGI in Czech republic, can't remember the name tho
>>
Don't take my job you nerd.
Beware of my robots armies. World domination is no longer a dream.
>>
>>8068180
Pretty short-sighted to think that the only AI that could ever be useful to us is one that is more intelligent than we are, when most of our civilization was built on the backs of animals of lesser intelligence than us. Where would we be without the horse, the ox, the sheep, the dog, the pig, the messenger pigeon, even the cat, which historically exterminated disease-spreading mice?

There's still a lot of room for cognitive agents at the level of intelligence of most of the world's mammals.

>The cat problem is already solved
Good one.

You're naive enough to think that achieving this goal wouldn't be much of a challenge but we are currently about as far away from such a thing as alchemists from nuclear power, though that's still the blink of an eye compared to how far we are from superintelligent oracles, if such things can exist at all.

Your only gripe seems to be that these kinds of agents won't cure death for us. That's incredibly childish and misguided.
>>
>>8068732
>cat problem solved
You misunderstand. I meant that we already have cat-like agents. They are called cats. Cats are the solution to having cats.

>childish and misguided
I think for first-worlders this is the only relevant thing left. But instead we spend our time building elaborate masturbation devices and running around in circles acting busy for food, status and access to fleshlights.
>>
>>8068618
Got it

>>8068180
>But then it seems confusing that you planned your path out so far ahead but still want to get into this field.
That was the question, mainly. Was wodering if there were any physicists who'd bridged the gap personally.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.