[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could such a city ever exist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: infinite-6.jpg (132 KB, 600x321) Image search: [Google]
infinite-6.jpg
132 KB, 600x321
Could such a city ever exist?
>>
No. We know of no means to levitate buildings like that.
>>
>>8065104
magnets xD topkek lel
>>
>>8065094

Anti gravity.
>>
>>8065104
Could, not can

Dumb shit
>>
File: magnetic_levitation.jpg (15 KB, 544x445) Image search: [Google]
magnetic_levitation.jpg
15 KB, 544x445
>>8065108
seriously though, can someone tell me why this would be impossible?

magnetic levitation is completely possible, why wouldn't it work on a bigger scale?

obviously not miles up in the air, but still
>>
>>8065127
Seems kind of unstable.
>>
I wish to believe
>>
>>8065127

Like everything in the world, energy is the limiting factor.
>>
>>8065127
You need room temperature superconductors. Even if you ignore energy demand, it just isn't viable otherwise.
>>
>>8065130
It's not.
>>
>>8065139
>>8065140
wait but can a magnet not levitate at room temperature?

where exactly is the energy coming from that causes the repulsive force of magnets?
>>
>>8065094
No
>>
>>8065094
with AI it can
>>
>>8065144
Get a couple of magnets like in the pic and try it. Report findings.
>>
>>8065144
Violent J, pls go.

fuckin magnets..
>>
Just make a gravity wave generator that destructively interferes with Earth's gravity waves.

Can't believe I am the smartest person on /sci/
>>
>>8065108
As I said like that described in bioshock infinite.

Earth's magnetic field is VERY WEAK. It is in theory possible to build a device that can levitate at Earth's magnetic poles using big superconducting cables.

Only problem is that we don't have superconductors that can support enough electrical current to do so. Second such a system is unstable meaning we'd have to change currents in the cables. For superconductors this is really hard. Superconductors, because of they work, do not like changing currents.

>>8065112
Does not exist, and we do not have any theories on how we could make it without requiring exotic matter (ultradense matter or negative mass)

>>8065127
It is possible, it's just not gonna be like bioshock
http://www.startram.com/startram-technology

>>8065144
Yes a magnet cannot levitate at room temperature without dynamically controlled magnetic fields. Superconductors are able to levitate magnets because of the way they work. Remember the part above about how superconductors hate having changing currents? Same thing. Magnet can't move cause otherwise it would change current in superconductor.

It does not take any energy to levitate stuff with superconductors as no work(F×D) is done. Force is constant, but distance does not change.

>>8065164
The earth emits gravity waves with a frequency of zero. IE they aren't gravity waves. Besides making gravity waves of any appreciable values takes enormous masses.

If you really want to lift a city, but not like bioshock, make a cloud 9. A cloud 9 is a giant geodesic sphere, like a mile in diameter. With a slight temperature increase inside the sphere said mile wide sphere could lift a huge amount of weight. IE you could put a small city in it and keep it afloat with solar heating
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Nine_(tensegrity_sphere)
>>
>>8065094
Disregarding the lack of ability to levitate a city in the clouds, the air at altitudes where clouds form commonly is way too thin and too cold for extended living. There would not be enough oxygen, and the pressure would be so low that it would make activities like cooking very difficult. For instance, at pressures such as those at the top of Mt Everest, water boils at 88 degrees C, rather than 100 degrees. As a result, your pasta is going to be very crunchy.
>>
>>8065094
On Venus.
>>
>>8065192
>cloud 9 is a giant geodesic sphere
wouldn't a small leak in the exterior cause the whole thing to crash down? doesn't sound too safe
>>
>>8065119
>>8065094
No.

>>8065192
>It is possible
>cloud 9

No.
>>
>>8065219
The volume of air inside is huge, so a small leak results in a slow change in buoyancy.
>>8065219
And what makes ot not possible?
>>
That game was awfull
>>
>>8065327
It isn't the temperature that needs increasing, it's the density of air. You would heat the air then let some escape, like in a hot air balloon. You would also need to let in fresh air constantly, which would affect feasibility calculations.
>>
>>8065379
Increasing the temperature of air decreases its density.

You have to let air in and out to regulate altitude. You don't need to let fresh air in constantly, the volume of air inside the sphere is huge.
>>
>>8065094
Could it? I guess.

Would there be any reason for it? No.
>>
>>8065410
>Increasing the temperature of air decreases its density.

No.
>>
>>8065410
Remember PV=nRT.

Ya pvnrt.
>>
>>8065094
vacuum baloons
>>
File: abtube2.png (22 KB, 812x265) Image search: [Google]
abtube2.png
22 KB, 812x265
>>8065539
electron balloons*!:
https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0805/0805.0230.pdf

*I would really like to know why this doesn't work. In short, it's a tube full of electrons, coated on the inside with a dielectric, and on the outside with metal that maintains a positive charge. The negative charge of the electrons is balanced out with the positive charge on the outside. Electrons supposedly stay inside the tube, because the voltage does not exceed dielectric breakdown voltage.
>>
>>8065094
Not in the ingame form.
But one could glue some Zeppelin togater to build something wich could ne used like an floating airbase or so...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-PdbfkA7LM
>>
>>8065573
does it work or not?
>>
>>8065130
>Seems kind of unstable.

That's not a science problem, that's an engineering problem.

To answer OP: Yes, such a city could exist within the laws of physics. It is uncertain whether it could exist within the laws of economics.
>>
>>8065094
We discovered the wavelength of a gravitational wave from between two colliding black holes.

Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory (LIGO) had detected gravitational waves.

Now that we can detect them...
We can manipulate them.
And hopefully one day.
Control them and generate them~
>>
File: 1345118659168.jpg (42 KB, 363x326) Image search: [Google]
1345118659168.jpg
42 KB, 363x326
>>8065794
>>
>>8065094
On Venus, yes.
>>
>>8065094
Fuck yeh. Cloud cities in Venus are possible my nigga.
>>
>>8065094
Yeah, on Venus.
>>
>>8066272
>>8066269
Fuck, didn't scroll down before posting
>>
>>8065140
Superconductance at RT is not sufficient on its own. We'd still need new and exotic SC materials to do anything meaningful.

Critical field strength and critical current density both scale inversely on temperature, so even if you did have superconductance at room temp, the amount of current it could support would be insignificant.

In other words, it would never be viable enough to replace our current technologies, and wouldn't be practical for anything cool, like levitating buildings.

It would be much better to use traditional superconductors which operate at very low temps for that, assuming they found a way to do it in the first place.
>>
>>8065094
Maybe if you were to do it on venus
>>
>>8065094
well, EM drive
>>
I think it would work on Venus. The atmosphere is like almost all CO2 so balloons full of air will float there.
>>
>>8065573
K-Keep me posted...
>>
>>8065094
Theoretically, but not realistically.
>>
>>8066548
>>8065804
I dunno lol.
>>
>>8065094
Physics grad here
It's impossible. A city in the air will fall down and hit the ground.
>>
>>8065127
It is possible and a grown man has been levitated.

Problem is you need a lot of energy to maintain the cryogenic temperatures and also the magnetic field is likely to be too strong for anyone with a pacemaker.

>>8065144
>repulsive force
Look up Meissner Effect.

>>8065192
>Superconductors are able to levitate magnets because of the way they work. Remember the part above about how superconductors hate having changing currents? Same thing.
You too, please look up Meissner effect. It relates to exclusion of magnetic field from the interior of a superconductor. A perfect conductor in the normal state would freeze in the field.
>>
>>8065573
>https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0805/0805.0230.pdf
Man, this guy raises red flags like a real hero.
>The electron gas in the
tube has very low density and very high conductivity,
Really? Hopw is that possible?
> close to superconductivity
Noooooooooooooooooo. Superconductivity is a quantum phenomenon, it has noting to do with really, really good conductors. Otherwise the Meissner effect would not be a thing.
> And so on
I have never seen this phrase in a real scientific article.
>The author’s first innovations in electrostatic applications were developed in 1982-1983
This smells like the author is trying to bolster a level of credibility but is utterly irrelevant in scientific articles. An paper stands on its own or falls down, no matter who the author is.
> (without space flight!)
exclamation marks in papers are, umm, shall we say not common. It is worse than laughing from your own jokes. And he sure likes to sprinkle these exclamation marks all over the place.
> Nanotubes have the tube structure and electrons can free move along axis
(they have only a friction on a tube wall).
Friction? Electrons?? Perhaps we can use lube...

That was page 1. And it does not get any better.

I am kind of looking forward to seeing his patent application that evidently has been filed.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.