[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
help pls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: sketch.jpg (38 KB, 861x319) Image search: [Google]
sketch.jpg
38 KB, 861x319
Hi /sci/.

I'm sketching ideas for some video game mechanics but my math writing skills are very weak.

I'm curious if you can understand what I failed to calculate and hope you could help me find the appropriate formula for a field, which increases the time intervals (therefore slowmo) near the center (enemy).

the size of the field is connected to the mass of the enemy, so the bigger the enemy, the further away the transition to slowmo begins.

maybe the mass and size could even be seperated so small and dense objects (enemies) will have a big slowmo field, but a small transition range.

I hope you get the idea. It can be simple, I'm not trying to make a physics engine here.
>>
>>8063573
OP, what exactly is supposed to be the mechanic here? the closer you get the slower time flows? A field where time flows uniformly but slower than outside?
>>
>>8063847
>the closer you get the slower time flows

also outside the fields can be considered a constant timeflow zone
>>
>>8063894
linear, polynomial, exponential or logarithmic decrease?
>>
From my understanding you're increasing fps as a relation to distance from the enemy?
>>
No, he's altering speed of the game/movement, but fps number should generally be stable no matter what.
>>
First you need your game to function reliably at a normal speed.

For simplicity let's say you have a tick every second and let's only look at one dimension.

So every real-time second, T, you can move by X meters in either direction.

You are D meters away from the enemy.

If D<MinDistanceForEffect then apply a multiplier to X.

You can make the multiplier depend on D with a formula like
D=<MinDistanceForEffect -> Multiplier=D/MinDistanceForEffect
D>MinDistanceForEffect -> Multiplier=1

You probably want to use a logarithmic instead though, but you get the idea.
>>
>>8063930
>>8063985
>polynomial, exponential or logarithmic decrease?

thats what I was curious about and I wrote down the first two steps of a repeatable equation using phi=1.618 to define at which distance (relative to the start) the framerate doubles.

does logarithmic imply logarithmus dualis or any log?

because I think ld would be too "fast"... can I even say that?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m3xCqBwk7E

Just make the global time dilatation a function of distance from enemies, it really shouldn't be that hard or involve much mathematics. This is more of a /g/ topic really.

You are using UE4, right?
>>
>>8064226
Just try it man, making games is all about iteration. You aren't going to have great gameplay your first try, just keep tweaking.
>>
Just make it so that you dont move every frame.

You're welcome.
>>
File: 1209160402658.png (222 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1209160402658.png
222 KB, 640x480
>>8063573
/v/ here

Shitty graphics. Would not play

No fun allowed etc
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.