[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://askanaturalist.com/do-we-rep lace-our-cells-every-7-o
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1451413700969.jpg (308 KB, 1216x1920) Image search: [Google]
1451413700969.jpg
308 KB, 1216x1920
http://askanaturalist.com/do-we-replace-our-cells-every-7-or-10-years/

So it turns out I've been wrong about this. All that philosophical talk about "is it really me anymore if all my cells are replaced" is just useless.
>>
>>8058458
We knew that already

Sage
>>
>>8058458
I understood that was bullshit since first time I heard it in elementary school. Who even belived that?
>>
>>8058458
Why does it render that question useless?
>>
>>8058851
some people might consider it being evidence for the existence of soul that makes you you if all your cells are replaced many times in a lifetime
>>
>>8058862
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_neurogenesis
>>
>>8059009
Apparently this can be a response to inflammation and doesn't necessarily increase cognitive function.
>>
>>8058458
Who is this semen demon?
>>
>>8060561
park choa
>>
All 4chan members were replaced by Redditors in the last 5 years. It's still the same 4chan.

Or is it?
>>
>>8058458
>askanaturalist.com
/x/

>Fat cells are replaced at the rate of about 10% per year in adults. So you could say that on average, human beings replace all their fat cells about every ten years.
Oh god, the math.... it burns....

>All that philosophical talk about "is it really me anymore if all my cells are replaced" is just useless.
What philosophical talk?
You mean what you and your friends talk about while gathered around the bong?

Besides, cells aren't really "replaced" exactly.
You don't go down to Walmart and buy new cells.
Every cell in your body is the result of mitosis (or meiosis), and can be traced back to the original zygote.
>>
>>8058458
Humans are points in a mechanical waterfall.

And no, you can't reconcile dualism. Yet, or possibly forever. Sorry. You should handle your personal existentialism on your own instead of trying to primarily argue it out on the internet.
>>
>>8058817
I believed it but I understood that the brain was an exception, hence why people would make a big deal with the expression, "you just killed some of my brain cells"
>>
>>8058458
Seriously, who didn't know this at the very latest in 6th grade?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.