[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trivial
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (153 KB, 1300x863) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153 KB, 1300x863
On average, I eat one apple an hour. If I wait 3 hours, what is the chance I have eaten 3 apples?
>>
None, because you were waiting and not eating apples.
>>
>>8054970
You understand what I meant, however.
>>
>>8054989
It was obvious af nigga
>>
>>8054994
I meant that ammount of time has passed, not that I wasn't eating any apples during that time.
>>
>>8054998
How do you know that you weren't not eating apples during that time? Were you watching?
>>
>>8055017
I forgot. That is why I am asking you guys.
>>
How many apples did you have available at the start of the three hour period?
>>
>>8054959
0.224 assuming it fits a Poisson distribution
>>8055017
Don't worry it's a weirdly set out question anyway
>>
Also: do you want to know whether you have eaten exactly three apples, or at least three apples?
>>
>>8055024
I thought it was 100% because I eat one apple per an hour?
>>
>>8055028
Exactly 3.
>>
>>8055032
Key word is on average. Let's say I eat 24 apples in one hour and none in the other 23 hours of a day. I average 1 apple an hour for a day but I am more likely to have had no apples in any given hour.
>>
>>8055050
Pretty sure you average one twenty fourth of one dude.
>>
>>8055032
>I thought it was 100% because I eat one apple per an hour?

You said on average.

If in an hour you eat 2 apples, then in the next one you one apple and in the next one eat none then you have eaten 3 apples in 3 hours so in average you eat 1 apple an hour but in reality you ate 2 , then 1 and then none.

Are you too stupid to even understand your own construction?
>>
>>8055059
Are you too stupid to understand inferential statistics?
>>
>>8055068
I used the 3 hour example for simplicity but because you claim that it is 100% then it is so easy construct a counter example.

In the entire day you ate 24 apples, on average 1 apple per hour, assuming a 24 hour day.

The process was that you are no apples for 23 hours and then at the 24th apples your autism kicked in and you ate 24 apples.

Then from say 7PM to 10 PM you ate 0 apples, which contradicts your 100% retarded guess.
>>
>>8055073
But there is a 100% chance I ate 24 apples in that day.
>>
>>8055068
If you had said you eat one apple per hour FULL STOP, then after X hours you have a 100% chance of eating X apples.
However you said AVERAGE, which implies there are some hours in which you eat no apples, or more than one, leading to a non 100% chance of eating X apples in X hours
Honestly if you're not underage you should know better tbqh familia
>>
>>8055085
>If I wait 3 hours, what is the chance I have eaten 3 apples?

But that is not a chance, that is just that you did. I am not describing a possibility, I am describe one of the possible situations that comes from your 'every hour' statement.

That is like saying that I just took a shit so I have a 100% chance of having just taken a shit. It makes no sense to say it like that.

Plus, your question was just after 3 hours, not 24 hours.

I am now sure that you do not even comprehend the nature of the question you are asking. Back to /b/ my friend.
>>
>>8055085
Ok you're fucking retarded.
>>
What's the standard deviation of your average apple consumption?

How hungry were you?

How many minutes does it take you to eat an apple, and do you always eat apples without pause once you begin to eat?

What kind of apples do you have? Pixo rosso?
>>
>>8055095
>>8055102
>>8055107
>Replying mutiple times
What, are you taking highschool statistics?
>>
>>8055111
Pretty sure that's all irrelevant
>>
Your question should specify "median" as the type of average for your interpretation to be correct. If it's a mean, then it only means you eat 24 apples in a 24 hr period.
>>
>>8055124
I meant the mean average.
>>
>>8055136
Sure you did, Einstein.
>>
>>8054989
Say what you mean.

>>8054970
/thread
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.