[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oregon licence plates consist of three letters followed by a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Oregon licence plates consist of three letters followed by a three digit number (each digit can be from [0..9]).
While driving to work Seth plays the following game:
Whenever the numbers of two licence plates seen on his trip add to 1000 that's a win.

E.g. MIC-012 and HAN-988 is a win and RYU-500 and SET-500 too. (as long as he sees them in the same trip).

Find the expected number of plates he needs to see for a win.
Give your answer rounded to 8 decimal places behind the decimal point.

Help me /sci/, it's from project Euler.
>>
Does he win when the order of spotted plates is: 100->500->900?
>>
>>8043405
No, when numbers of TWO licence plates add to 1000 he wins.
>>
So, first plate is random
second wins 1/1000
third 1/1000
n-th 1/1000

Distribution is random, so on average he's gonna find 1000 after 50% of plates?
>>
>>8043447
No it increases with the number of plates, because any n-th plate he sees can add up to any previously seen plate. So the chances increase with number of plats he sses.
>>
>>8043447
By the time he sees the second car his chances have already doubled, since that one is in the pool now as well. Third car is thus 2/999, fourth is 3/999 etc.

This means 1+2+3+...+n=999 where n is the amount of cars needed. Not sure if there is a simple way of solving it though.
>>
>>8043462
>>8043464

>>8043405
>>8043418
???
>>
and is 1000 not 999 bruh
>>
>>8043447
You're not taking into account that the second and the third could win... etc.
>>
Chance of finding second number that works: 1/999 3rd number that works with either of those numbers is 2/999 unless the number you found was the same then it is still 1/999 and the chance the number is the same would be 1/999 so there are two conditions
>>
>>
>>8043372
I bet everyone ignores the letters on the plates even though it is actually relevant. Two license plates can't have the same letter/number combination. This means that a license plate with 500 is slightly less likely to be matched, because this requires another plate with 500 but with a different letter combo. Plates that don't have 500 can be matched with plates with the same letters.
>>
>>8043372
OP here, the result is 40. with decimals behind it, what I cant figure out is how to get it
>>
>>8043574

2/10^3+3(1-1/10^3)(2/10^3)+4(1-1/10^3)(1-2/10^3)(3/10^3)+...
>>
>>8043625
Can you explain the set, I know it's elementary but I just don't know enough probability to follow.
>>
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.