[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Motivational techniques
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (411 KB, 1860x874) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
411 KB, 1860x874
So /sci/, i assume everyone here studies a STEM field and we all know it's very tough and rigorous, but how do you motivate yourself to push when the going gets tough, when you just feel like shit when your mind tells you that you can never get better at what you're doing, that you start doubting that your hardwork will amount you any success, i sometimes get so worried about this that i just lose all motivation in working.
Pic related
>>
>>8043083

I have no motivation

I'm gonna end it soon anyway

There's no point
>>
>>8043083
You want motivation?

Someday very, very soon, you will be sitting in an chair in a cheap suit, sweating bullets, while I or somebody like me grills you on what you learned during college to see if you actually have something resembling a clue and are worthy of being employed.

Then you will be expected to use what you learned, 9 to 5 every weekday until you retire or die, to do something useful. Everyone around you is doing the same and if you fall behind, no promotions or bonuses for you.
>>
>>8043083
>that you start doubting that your hardwork will amount you any success,
theres no doubt, i now know for a fact just how worthless this degree i got was.
>>
>>8043083
Well, basically I was sweating my ass off for something like 10 years and a few years ago realized that was a huge waste of time.

That I've spent all my youth doing useless things instead of having a life.

Now I am fucked up socially, no girlfriend, and my best is already behind me.

I stopped caring and no one even notices. It seems that I will be able to drag along these lines for a while, just going to a bar after work, or getting drunk at home.
>>
File: 1381703639078.jpg (81 KB, 870x766) Image search: [Google]
1381703639078.jpg
81 KB, 870x766
>>8043836
Cmon anon, it may not be as bad as,you make it out to be
>>
>>8043083
Bump
>>
because if you dont try your hardest you end up graduated and unemployed
>>
>>8043083
Because physics is fun. If you have no motivation I'm sorry for you. I just love doing physics.
>>
>>8044759
>I love doing physics
>I can do it forever
Nice meme
>>
>>8043083
Bump
>>
>>8044759
>sophomores
>>
>>8044807
It isn't much of a meme. Or rather, it isn't entirely false. In order to pursue some research field at any decent level, you have to be willing and capable of devoting large amounts of time to it, which is much easier if you actually enjoy doing it. Everyone that I knew in grad school that mostly went on just because they were good at it or didn't know what else to do ended up miserable because they didn't enjoy doing the work and making any significant progress in research requires a massive time investment.
>>
>>8043098
If you are doing the same job till you retire or die, you are fucking stupid. People should keep pushing forward, acquiring more skills, and climbing the ladder. I will admit that the majority of people are lazy, and just get comfortable where they are, but that just makes it easier for people like me. And before anyone calls me young, i am 32. And have been the best person at everything i have ever done, simply by giving a fuck.
>>
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 1366x768
Two things that I think about to keep me going when suffering through a hard study session are as follows,

1) Is it that I don't want to do it, or that I can't? Because it's always that I don't want to. But so what? Why does that matter? How you feel about things is just a way for your brain to help itself make decisions, but if you already know the best thing to do, why bother listening? It's like eating - taste is there to help you know what you should eat, but if you can use your brain to work it out and your objective is a healthy diet, whats the point of flavour? You shouldn't care if you don't want to revise, you shouldn't care if you want to. You just do.

2) How many people actually enjoy revising things they don't want to? None. How many people revise things they don't want to? Millions. There's no special distinction between those people and you, everything you feel they do too. But they still do it. You might distance yourself from them, but there is no distinction. It is within you too.
>>
Why does certain people lack this motivation? Overthinking? Worry? Anxiety? Other stuff?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.