[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Note taking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: note.jpg (400 KB, 851x564) Image search: [Google]
note.jpg
400 KB, 851x564
So /sci/, how does one take notes effectively for class?
I find myself never reading my notes and just memorizing everything, only to dump it all after exams.
This of course only works in the short term and I find myself struggling more and more with courses
>>
>>8040234
I take notes to get rid of the unnecessary bullshit around a topic so that all the things I actually need to remember are in one place. I then focus on rereading the notes/doing problems until I have it all remembered.

1: understand the material
2: distil the parts that need to be memorised and note them down
3: do problems/review notes

simple really
>>
>>8040234
>just memorizing everything
If you have that kind of memory capacity, you don't need to take notes at all. Welcome to the non-brainlet master race.
>>
>>8040234
Why take notes, its redundant. Pay attention and make sure you understand the topic. And just copy notes of someone else....
>>
>>8040234
Taking notes indicators inferiority
>>
Through my undergrad, I just used a laptop and microsoft word to take notes. I used its automatic list formatting to create topics and sub notes on them:

1) Shit
a) Shit stinks
b) It's bad
i) Holy shit

Then I would condense them down into a separate file, noting only the important stuff while trying to reword it. Then I'll print it out and use it to go over any review questions with a pen.
>>
>>8040757
The formatting didn't go through, so pretend there are indentations there.
>>
>>8040234
But that's how it works. I find that I can remember things by the situation and by listening, not by writing. Maybe it helps you memorize.

If you're not as lazy as me, you can find the corresponding book or course notes, and only take notes about what is not in them.
Focus on understanding and try to complete the professor's reasoning BEFORE he actually speaks.
>>
>>8040596
Are you unable to jot down notes and pay attention to what's being said at the same time? That's kind of sad.
>>
How do I self-study from a physics and chemistry book?
For math I just take notes mindlessly and write the proofs and do the exercises, math is easy as fuck.
But I really suck at physics and chemistry.
I'm studying physics from Y&F U. Physics
and chemistry from Chemistry the Central science.
>>
>>8040234
I try a lot harder to listen and digest the lecture, and only write down what I think is something I won't be able to look up in the book. I try to spend at 30 minutes a day looking over my notes and reading through any material. I'm not "smart" so I have to study often, though my attention span doesn't hold for very long, so I study in 30 minute bursts.
>>
>>8040234
I'm considering buying an iPad to take read papers in grad school. I don't want to waste the paper

Anyone have experience takings notes on one?
>>
>>8040896
Took notes on xperia z2 + keyboard, bruh that sucked so much.
>>
File: disgusting.jpg (76 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.jpg
76 KB, 600x450
>>8040757
>bringing a laptop to class
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.