[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Favourite/recommended sci fi novel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 31
File: 316094.jpg (114 KB, 900x770) Image search: [Google]
316094.jpg
114 KB, 900x770
Favourite/recommended sci fi novel?
>>
>>8009531
The book of the new Sun. The patricians at leet approve of it.
>>
The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin
>>
Dune
>>
The Culture Series by Iain M Banks
>>
Anything Heinlein
Dune series(read the son's books at your own risk)
Currently reading David Weber's Safehold series.
>>
>>8009590
>Anything Heinlein
My brother
>>
Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, all five of them. Amazingly hilarious, godlike space opera.

Runner-up is Ursula K. Le Guin's The Dispossessed. Very thought provoking.

2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C Clarke is the oft-recommended one from the Odyssey quadriology, but IMO 2010: Odyssey Two is the pinnacle of the series. By all means, read 2001 first though.

Should give Asimov's Foundation another read...
>>
>>8009531
>Favourite/recommended sci fi novel?
Any Culture Novel or other Scifi by Ian M Banks.

Except Inversion.

Excession is my favorite, but they're all good.
>>
>>8009531
Avid sci fi reader here
Asimov:Everything is worth it, Foundation, the robot series has some really satisfying small stories

Clarke:Space Odyssey as >>8009598 recommends, and Rendezvous with Rama, again everything is worth it!

Try Phillip K. Dick, he has weird style of writing but is quite captivating, minority report and "Do androids dream of electric sheep?"

Heinlein's Time enough for love, somewhere there is this awesome story about the laziest man in the world, it was quite inspiring to read that tale...

Joe Haldeman's The Forever war

Some Orwell maybe? Irrelevant but Lovecraft is really atmospheric, if you want something to draw you in totally give him a try.

Gonna start Greg Egan's diaspora and some of Carl Sagan, sure gonna check anything mentioned in this thread!
>>
The Invincible by Stanisław Lem
>>
Forge of God and sequel Anvil of Stars by Greg Bear
>>
B L I N D S I G H T
>>
OP you must read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.
>>
The Bible
>>
>>8009700
Totally not worth the read lol
>>
>>8009579
this.
>>
dune is absolute shit that makes no goddamn sense, if just one of the villains, protagonists, or side characters weren't complete retards the story would be resolved in 5 minutes

the first book of they Hyperion Cantos is great[the rest of the series fucks off into the wtf zone in the third act of the second book], Revelation Space is also great, the trilogy is amazing, but because nobody gets a good end another book? was written and some deus ex machina shit was pulled for an ultimate bad end. Neuromancer was also pretty good, haven't read the rest in that series though.
>>
File: A good book.jpg (171 KB, 432x585) Image search: [Google]
A good book.jpg
171 KB, 432x585
this is just me, but I like the Alex Benedict series by Jack McDevitt. first one is called "A Talent for War".
>>>/lit/ though
>>
File: StarshipTroopers.jpg (78 KB, 948x1529) Image search: [Google]
StarshipTroopers.jpg
78 KB, 948x1529
This
>>
File: 1423581738443.jpg (388 KB, 1100x1470) Image search: [Google]
1423581738443.jpg
388 KB, 1100x1470
I'm reading The Expanse by James S. A. Corey, loving it so far. Hyperion is also great
>>
>>8010289
Is that the one with the tv adaptation on Syfy?
>>
>>8009736
>dune
>people acting retarded

It is like you don't understand the story of the books at all.

People were acting dumb because of thousands of years of stagnant culture. The Atreadies Emperors saw the future and the doom of humanity. Paul unleashed a bloody jihad across the galaxy. Then was incapable of bringing himself to the actions needed to it and save humanity. Then Leto II manned up and did what was necessary. He became the worst tyrant in history. So that when he died, humanity would flee across the stars and never fall back into the old ways.
>>
File: chaos tactics trent falls.jpg (66 KB, 309x494) Image search: [Google]
chaos tactics trent falls.jpg
66 KB, 309x494
>>8009579
>>8009582

Dune is great and so is Culture series^

Also check out my sci-fi book :)

http://www.amazon.com/Chaos-Tactics-Reckless-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00X0KFCCS

got a few decent reviews http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25475915-chaos-tactics
>>
>>8010343
Did you make that picture yourself?
>>
Asimov - Anything
Heinlein - Moon is a harsh mistress, Starship troopers are the ones I've read
Clarke - Anything
Ben Bova - Mars
PKD - Favourite author, not too scifi but A Scanner Darkly is GOAT
Any hard scifi recommendations?
>>
>>8010343
I thought it said Chad's Tactics.
>>
>>8010289
>>8010315
yes

I just finished the second book, it reads very well
>>
File: the_shrike_by_silberius-d6tsvi0.jpg (185 KB, 1280x712) Image search: [Google]
the_shrike_by_silberius-d6tsvi0.jpg
185 KB, 1280x712
>>8009736
Hyperion was some shit. I delayed reading it for almost 10 years after hearing about it, and I regret that. The structure of the story is fantastic. It's perfect. Couldn't stop thinking about it for several weeks.

The rest of the series is alright and probably a worthwhile read to finish the story, but none of them approach the first book. Still enjoyed them because of the universe they were in though.
>>
>>8009695
Anyone read Anathem? No one I've recommended it to enjoyed flipping to the glossary to look up his made up vocabulary and in-story references that aren't explained anywhere else. Took like 200 pages to get into the swing of it for me, but thought it paid off in the end. Same deal for Cryptonomicon.
>>
>>8010801
For hard scifi, read almost anything by Stanisław Lem, but I would argue 'The Invincible' is his hardest, lots of mechanical descriptions and juicy details.
>>
>>8010315
Fucking belters not keeping up with the best scifi show on tv.
>>
>>8010801

>Reading Starship Troopers when I was a wee lad

>Wanting to be in drop ships landing in the thick of the action

>Wear the insignia and patches of some fascist govnermint

>Mom reads this book

>whatthefug.jpg

>Introduces me to Asimov and Clark

>mfw I read of a non discrete sex scene in I Robot at the age of 12
>>
>>8010927
Thanks!
>>
File: 3664.jpg (401 KB, 750x844) Image search: [Google]
3664.jpg
401 KB, 750x844
Hyperion.
>>
>>8010812
The only person who loved my recommendation for Anathem happens to be one of the few people I respect.
>>
Elsewhere around the web I see Kim Stanley Robinson's books recommended a lot. I haven't read them myself yet. What do folks here think about her books?
>>
>>8011195
Dude just about to finish Anathem, blew my damn mind. Glad I finally got around to reading it, first book I read by him was The Diamond Age.
>>
File: 15270587._SY540_.jpg (57 KB, 384x540) Image search: [Google]
15270587._SY540_.jpg
57 KB, 384x540
Ringworld
>>
>>8011422
Something I read the other day that was pretty good was a book called "The Fresco" by Sheri S. Tepper. kinda follows the whole babysitting aliens thing but I liked it quite a bit and had some interesting characters.
>>
File: 23349435.jpg (128 KB, 318x473) Image search: [Google]
23349435.jpg
128 KB, 318x473
Something is alive inside Jupiter's ice moon Europa. Robot probes find an ancient tunnel beneath the surface, its walls carved with strange hieroglyphics. Led by elite engineer Alexis Vonderach, a team of scientists descends into the dark... where they confront a savage race older than mankind...
>>
File: moteingodseye_1741.jpg (20 KB, 234x390) Image search: [Google]
moteingodseye_1741.jpg
20 KB, 234x390
The Mote in God's Eye might be one of the more realistic depictions of a first-contact story. The discovery of alien life is sudden and unexpected, and most of the book deals with the diplomatic/military/espionage group that is sent by the humans to meet the new species. A great deal of tension arises between the humans and "Moties" who have a very dim understanding of each other at first, and between the xenophiliac scientists and the xenophobic military personnel with the human expedition.
>>
Roger Ramius MacClintock was young, handsome, athletic, an excellent dresser, and third in line for the Throne of Man. It probably wasn't too surprising that someone in his position should react by becoming spoiled, self-centered, and petulant. After all, what else did he have to do with his life? Then warships of the Empire of Man's worst rivals force his crippled vessel out of space and Roger is shipwrecked on the planet Marduk, whose jungles are full of deadly predators and barbarian hordes with really bad dispositions.
>>
File: 899392.jpg (46 KB, 288x475) Image search: [Google]
899392.jpg
46 KB, 288x475
3.91 · Rating Details · 4,882 Ratings · 144 Reviews
The colonists from Earth have spent a century in cold sleep to make the first journey, one way, to settle a planet in another solar system. Avalon seems perfect, a verdant, livable world still in its prehistoric age. The biologists and engineers who busy themselves planting and building scoff at the warnings of professional soldier Cadmann Weyland until a large, unnaturally fast and cunning predator begins stalking the colony. Learning how to kill the beast is only the first step, for they must then reevaluate their entire understanding of Avalon's ecology. (
>>
File: 26219432.jpg (132 KB, 317x475) Image search: [Google]
26219432.jpg
132 KB, 317x475
When Captain Caleb Shepperd is released from prison, all he wants to do is keep his head down and earn a living smuggling illegal cargo through the nine systems. So when a synth stows away on his ship, and brings with her a crap-ton of problems, including guilt-ridden secrets he thought he’d escaped, he’d prefer to toss her out the airlock. The problem is, she’s priceless tech, and he’s fresh out of credit.

#1001 is not meant to exist. Created for a single purpose, she has one simple order: to kill. But not everything is as it seems. Buried deep inside, she remembers... Remembers when she was human. And she remembers what Shepperd did to her. She’s not ready to die, but she is ready to kill.
>>
>>8010812
>Anathem
>flipping to the glossary to look up his made up vocabulary

Your friends are plebians. No /sci/ denizen would fail to suss out the meanings on their own.
>>
>>8012761
>Empire of Man series
>Sci-fantasy adventure novel

Not that I didn't enjoy the series but that's about as sci-fi as Star Wars.
>>
Daniel Suarez "Daemon" and "Darknet"
>>
>>8011412
Similar to enders game, first book is good, sequels get wrapped up in politics between characters you don't care about. The author must have gone rock climbing at some point , there's a part where he goes into excruciating detail about it, and not in a good way.
>>
>>8012752
Seconding this one, one of my favorite niven stories.
>>
GitS.

Anime4lyf3
>>
>>8009551
fuck off sammy boi
>>
>>8009531
>Good books for beginners and inexperienced readers (no particular genre)
Dune, Ender's Game, Starship Troopers

>Dystopian Future
1984, Brave New World, A Scanner Darkly, Logan's Run, Fahrenheit 451

>Hard Science Fiction and Space Opera
Tau Zero, Hyperion, Solaris, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Robinson's Mars Trilogy

>Cyberpunk
Neuromancer, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Snow Crash,

>Asimov
I Robot, Foundation, The Caves of Steel, The Gods Themselves, The End of Eternity
>>
Hard science sci fi novels are the best. These novels invented original ideas.

For example time machine, grey goo, journey to the moon, dyson sphere, warp drive, etc.
>>
>>8009531
The Commonwealth saga.
>>
>>8013217
'best be trollin
>>
>>8013195
snow crash is garbage though
>>
>>8009531
Isaac Asimov's The Foundation series.
>>
Rendezvous with Rama
>>
File: Uplift series.jpg (139 KB, 702x400) Image search: [Google]
Uplift series.jpg
139 KB, 702x400
>>8012752
I will third it.

Recommendation: Uplift series, it is a mix of galactic zoo and genetic uplift.

The Uplift series
>>
>>8014197

A good book, better than Childhood's End.
>>
No mention of Stephen Baxter wtf.
>>
>>8013389
Nooooooooooooooo
>>
What about Gateway - Frederick Pohl?
>>
File: canticle-leibowitz-4.jpg (207 KB, 849x597) Image search: [Google]
canticle-leibowitz-4.jpg
207 KB, 849x597
>>8009531

A Canticle for Leibowitz is a post-apocalyptic science fiction novel by American writer Walter M. Miller, Jr., first published in 1960. Set in a Catholic monastery in the desert of the Southwestern United States after a devastating nuclear war, the story spans thousands of years as civilization rebuilds itself. The monks of the fictional Albertian Order of Leibowitz take up the mission of preserving the surviving remnants of man's scientific knowledge until the day the outside world is again ready for it.
>>
>>8009531
Hyperion, Mistborn, Dune, Jack Vance
>>
File: content.jpg (17 KB, 128x211) Image search: [Google]
content.jpg
17 KB, 128x211
Felix is an Earth soldier, encased in special body armor designed to withstand Earth's most implacable enemy-a bioengineered, insectoid alien horde. But Felix is also equipped with internal mechanisms that enable him, and his fellow soldiers, to survive battle situations that would destroy a man's mind.
>>
I loved the first two Foundation books, but I dropped Second Foundation after reading a few pages. Should I pick it up again?
>>
A Fire Upon The Deep, by Vernor Vinge, is a really good science fiction novel. I would even say it's hard sci-fi, everything in there is really realistic.
>>
Seveneves because hard science
Calculating God because good book

>>8010343
Degenerate garbage.
>>
greg egan diaspora some hard shit
>>
>>8014564
I personally can't stand too much clutter. How hard is it to just put it on a shelf? But if that's your thing go for it.
>>
>>8009531
Too many to list

Old Man's War series
Star Carrier series
Honor Harrington series (wish he would write that 14th book, left off with a cliffhanger)
Ender's Game
The Forever War
Wool
Revelation Space series (only 1st two books)
>>
nth for Hyperion Cantos

Altered Carbon motherfuckers
>>
>>8009531
Star Wars
>>
>>8015695
>sci fi
>>
>>8010804
Same. We really spend too much time here.
>>
File: 1450710597860.png (59 KB, 576x507) Image search: [Google]
1450710597860.png
59 KB, 576x507
>>8015672

Anyway, just finished The End of Eternity a few days ago and it was quite good.
Would definitely recommend.
>>
>>8009632
PKD all the way,
recommend "a scanner darkly",
his first book off the amphetamines.
>>
>>8009582
Can someone explain why? I started the first book and so far it has read like a pulp novel.
>>
>>8017178
this
>>
>>8009531
Has anyone read
Firestorm: Descent by Alan porter?
>>
>>8009598
I love Asimov!!
>>
THE GAP CYCLE

First Book: The Real Story

Angus Thermopyle is the most interesting psychopath in the universe
>>
>>8009531
>she will never set her actuators to `turbo jerk` and have her way with you
wtfelmaf.qm (why the fuck even live m8 and fa.m ?)
>>
File: fantasmas-de-gaunt.jpg (91 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
fantasmas-de-gaunt.jpg
91 KB, 600x375
Gaunt's Ghosts
>>
Blindsight by Peter Watts

Really unique view of aliens
>>
Scientific Humility/Absurdism:
Martian Chronicles
Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

Comedic eye openers.
>>
>>8013195
Solid list
>Dune, Ender's Game, Starship Troopers
are among my top recommendations, but
>Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Isn't cyberpunk. You're thinking of bladerunner.

Recently finished SevenEves by Neal Stephenson. Slow paced but alright. Science black guy is a main character. Has some solid descriptions of what near future surviving in space would be like. Main issue I had with the books was that it was actually two separate books pasted together. The last 1/3rd of the book has completely different tones/themes from the first 2/3rds. I wouldn't recommend the book to someone unless they like reading about space stuff and already read the Martian (does what seveneves does well but better without the melodrama). The book has qt waifus which might be relevant considering where this is being posted.

Other book I recently finished was the Windup Girl. Biopunk book set in a post fossil fuel future (almost all of it has run out). It is now more efficient to genetically engineering giant beasts to do labor, and use microbes for processing/manufacturing. Book is alright. Very soft sci fi. Most interesting character dies 1/3rd in. Has a waifu in it but the handling of azn culture/mannerisms is going to detract from the experience for anyone as exposed as the average 4chan poster. It's a fresh take on sci fi but you can tell it won its awards for political reasons.

overall, aside from The Martian, sci fi is shit right now. Stick to the classics.
>>
>>8017700
Oh, I forgot. I also read Redshirts. It's a Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are dead style story told from the perspective of unimportant crew members on an original Star Trek style vessel where people always die on away missions. If you like classic Star Trek and tropes, it's worth a read.
>>
>>8009559
best book i've red recently.
did you read the second book?
>>
>>8009531
legend of the galactic heroes. the first 3 are guaranteed to come out in English, with the remaining being translated if sales are strong.

there's also a 100+ episode anime of it if that's what floats your boat, but having read the first book i kinda like it more.
>>
>>8014442
>Mistborn
>sci fi
Are you fucking retarded?
>>
Greg Egan, especially Diaspora, Schild's Ladder, and Permutation City

Cory Doctorow, Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom

Charles Stross, Accelerando

Rudy Rucker, Postsingular
>>
>>8017700
>sf is shit right now

>>8019226
Is me. What do you think of recentish nanopunk/posthumanist stuff like this?
>>
>>8018767
>>8014442

Mistborn and every brian sanderson novel are horribly repetitive.

They are written for middle aged people who think they are reading something "totally new" that has to remind them of the characters' backstories and singular, boring internal struggles every single paragraph after introduction of a new sequence (which always ends in a battle that is as formulaic as Dragonball Z).

I suffered through the first few books (I think 4...) of Mistborn, hoping in vain that Sanderson would kick into gear and stop being pedantic and stop spoonfeeding alcoholic fans that can't remember the last paragraphs they read...........I was wrong.
>>
Asimov's short story collections are full of gems
>>
>>8014545
>armor

Yes... a personal favorite. Felix is one of the best characters ever written.
>>
>>8011412
>>8013131
>The author must have gone rock climbing at some point , there's a part where he goes into excruciating detail about it, and not in a good way.
That's not in the main trilogy but a little anthology book. Fucking ruined it too.

Only read Red Mars, the other two have their moments but you will want to kill yourself when slogging through the politics in Green+Blue.
>>
>>8009531
1984 and Brave New World. They are the only books I still think about from time to time.
>>
>>8019226
>Greg Egan, especially Diaspora, Schild's Ladder, and Permutation City
Exactly those are my favs too, I'm reading Incandescence and the Orthogonal trilogy at the moment and while nice they're not really doing it for me.
>>8009559
It's shit.

Also pic related is very good.
>>
File: metamorphosiz.png (16 KB, 413x343) Image search: [Google]
metamorphosiz.png
16 KB, 413x343
>>8013195
>Solaris
Worth a read if I've seen the (non-remake) movie already?

>>8014235
Were you the guy who said "not enough appreciation for David Brin novels" in a thread recently? Read the first uplift book because of that it was pretty good.

Also I enjoyed pic related
>>
File: 2faces.jpg (62 KB, 286x475) Image search: [Google]
2faces.jpg
62 KB, 286x475
James P. Hogan

Manga version is good too
>>
>>8009656
>>8017676
seconded. very interesting ideas about transhumanism, biology, consciousness and lots of other shit. also great charcters and plot

i also recommend The Quantum Thief, if you like very hard sci-fi.
>>
File: 1461198011749.jpg (42 KB, 375x592) Image search: [Google]
1461198011749.jpg
42 KB, 375x592
>>8009531

ctrl f "Black Cloud", no results

SCI WTF

READ IT NOW. BEST HARD SCIFI NOVEL EVER. And also was written by an actual physicist.
>>
>>8015676
Seconding Wool.
It's sci-fi for sure, also dystopian, with a touch of 1984.
>>
>>8015676
Wool isn't sci-fi as much as it is sy-fy, if you know what I mean. Still a well-paced and interesting read though.

The forever war was just painful to read through, especially the "director's cut" version they dropped.

The first Ender's Game is fantastic. OSC started running out of ideas for the series though and things started venturing into wtf territory throughout the sequels.
>>
my reactions to this thread
>all these first-Ender's-book-only plebs
children's fiction, completely outshined in ambition and content by the sequels

>>8015676
>Honor Harrington
the man can't write for shit, every piece of dialogue reads like he ran it through several machine translations

>>8017700
>DADoES not cyberpunk
only by the most incredibly narrow and uselessly specific definitions of cyberpunk

>>8020067
same, mistborn really disappointed me. a handful of neat ideas with a really lackluster package and execution

>>8020769
yes, solaris was an amazing book

>>8011422
>>8011195
anathem is like, the first book of stephenson's when he actually became worth reading. i still really love diamond age for its concepts but it wasn't well written, and snow crash, the less said the better
>>
>>8009531
Here's the little I read:

>Hitchhikers Guide

Absolutely hilarious, loved every page of it.

>Solaris - Lem

Brilliant, Fascinating, Gripping and Emotional, widened my understanding of Intelligence

>Asimov - The Complete Robot

The I, Robot stories are meh, some of the newer ones are better. It was okay.

>Ender's Game

For kids, but it's okay.

>>8010961
>>mfw I read of a non discrete sex scene in I Robot at the age of 12

there is none
>>
>>8013195
Robert L. Forward: Dragon's Egg
>>
>>8010801
>PKD - Favourite author
mai negro

Yeah Philip K Dick runs the gamut from easily accessible to hardcore drug-induced whackjob wtf

>Beginner/getting in to sc-fi:
Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

Honestly, everyone should read the above two imo
Flow my Tears and Galactic Pot-Healer are also good and easily accessible

>Otherwise Recommended:
Now Wait for Last Year
The Man in the High Castle
A Scanner Darkly
VALIS (read A Scanner Darkly first. Not same continuum but I feel like the first book at least is a spiritual successor)

Almost everything is good from PK Dick.
I'm a Dickhead, though so take that as you will
>>
>>8010315
Watch it senpai

It's fucking great

>tfw no new Expanse eps till 2017
>>
>>8020067
He is so repetitive and repetitive and can't write action sequences
>>
>>8025864
i wouldn't count man in the high castle in the sci-fi column at all
>>
>>8026440
to expand on that comment so it's not just hanging in mid-air

i view science fiction pretty broadly, but even under the broadest definitions i don't think mithc really fits. it's not a book about science, or about technology, or the impacts those things have on society. it's a book about religion, about how we use mystical and political oracles to guide our decisions, and a pointed statement about racism in post-war america. the alternative history aspect definitely puts it under the speculative fiction umbrella, but it's not sharing space with science fiction
>>
File: STARSHIP TROOPERS.jpg (78 KB, 948x1529) Image search: [Google]
STARSHIP TROOPERS.jpg
78 KB, 948x1529
>>8009531 A fucking classic, worth a Read
>>
>>8025673
>my reactions to this thread
Who cares?
>>
>>8009656
Everything else is shit compared to Blindopraxia
>>
>>8026549
i did
>>
>>8009531
Frontlines series, marko kloos
>>
File: throne1.jpg (413 KB, 1000x1409) Image search: [Google]
throne1.jpg
413 KB, 1000x1409
>>8009531
ASIMOV
S
I
M
O
V
>>
>No Strugatzki
>Only 2 mention Lem
And you faggots dare to shit on /lit/
>>
Good thread, but how the fuck is this on /sci/ and not /lit/?

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch is pretty good.
>>
>>8027265
>Good thread, but how the fuck is this on /sci/ and not /lit/?
/lit/ is shit
>>
File: 1402368017371.jpg (1 MB, 839x1199) Image search: [Google]
1402368017371.jpg
1 MB, 839x1199
>>8009531

Prometheus Rising
>>
>>8009531
Any good sci fi comic books?
Jodorowsky's The Incal is great but I need more outside comics outside of the Jodoverse
>>
>>8012774
That sounds terribly corny and cliche.
>>
Schild's Ladder is definitely the worst among those three. Try his short story book Axiomatic, since Egan is much better at exploring speculative science ideas than creating long novels with decent characters.
>>
S E V E N E V E S

Best book I have read in a long time
>>
the forever war/enders game/the moon is a harsh mistress
>>
many years ago (south american here) I made a international request for the "Do androids dream of eletric sheep?" book via Oxford. It was so fucking expensive because no one buys any of Dick's books here, and I had to wait about 4 months.

When the fucking book finnally came, I found out it was a watered version for students.

Fuck me so hard
>>
>>8028375
>S E V E N E V E S
That book drives me nuts. Anyone who hasn't read it yet, I'm going to be doing some spoilers, but not more than you'd hear if you basically learn anything about the book at all before you read it.

I get that he wanted to turn Kessler Syndrome into a global apocalypse by making some big satellites, but the way he did it was dumb. If the moon got knocked into a few big chunks, and they were orbiting around each other, there's no way they'd keep breaking up smaller and spread out into a ring. When the big chunks came together, they'd lose orbital energy to friction and stick together.

We might get some spray on Earth, and it might be devastating, but it wouldn't look like Kessler Syndrome. Anyway, if impact spray or orbital chaos was ejecting stuff in random directions, more of it would be headed out of Earth orbit than on collision track with Earth.

Then there's the spectacular dumbness of trying to survive in Earth orbit with all this crazy megascale Kessler shit going on.
>They'll just dodge it all, or use an asteroid for a shield. It'll be fine.
NO
>>
>>8028735
South american here, when I was a kid I bought a couple of books in English (Jurassic Park and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes) in a specialized store (Kel editions). I'm Argentinian btw. Now I simply bought a Kindle and it was the best purchase I've ever done. I highly recommend it if you like to read and you aren't one of those faggots that say "I like how the book smells and feels"
>>
>>8028680
Forever peace and forever free are shit though
>>
>>8029210
>kindle
I got one like 5 years ago
It was great investment, it payed off in several months, on top of the convenience.
But today I would definitely buy other brand e-book reader, Kindle has really horrid software and interface, supports only few formats, you have to register it, adds are annoying (I got a discount for it, but still...)
>>
>>8029369
>horrid software and interface
It's not a tablet, it's meant only for reading, and it delivers that.
>supports only few formats
Sure but you can convert everything to .mobi with Calibre
>you have to register it
Not really, I pirate every book
>ads are annoying
Only when you turn it off, they don't bother you when reading

I've got a Kindle 3 first and now I have a kindle paperwhite (the built in light is a great feature)
>>
>>8009531
I really do enjoy Ljukjashenko, he wrote the Watch series, but also some sci-fi stuff. Look him up, really enjoyable stuff, kinda philosophical.
Also Nik Perumov Technic of the Great Kyjev (rough translation), imagine a fantasy novel bzt with guns instead of swords and cars, boats etc. instead of magic creatures
>>
>>8029395
>It's not a tablet, it's meant only for reading, and it delivers that.
every e-book is like that, I'm well aware of that
point is, there are better ones out there
>Sure but you can convert everything to .mobi with Calibre
Calibre can't do .doc, so you have to first manually convert it to .rtf, .docx or .odt via Word and then convert it again into .mobi via Calibre (I tried other methods, but this seems like the only one working), which can take a lot of time if you have hundreds of .doc books
Pocketbook (for example) don't have to convert anything to anything ever to begin with
>Not really, I pirate every book
I have older Kindle, not sure if new ones are like this, but it wouldn't let you do anything with it at all, until you registered the device itself
pirated books work normally of course
>Only when you turn it off, they don't bother you when reading
and if you buy anything but Kindle, you won't be bothered at all and can change the pictures as you please
>>8029398
just reading Labyrinth of Reflections series and like it, it's not as good as Gibson's Neuromancer, but it's still pretty good cyberpunk
I really tried to read the Technic, but it seemed too silly/bizarre to me
>>
File: flowers.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
flowers.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
Flowers for Algernon

Genuinely haunting, one of the best books I've ever read
>>
File: 1344056562912.png (2 MB, 1173x1389) Image search: [Google]
1344056562912.png
2 MB, 1173x1389
I just wanted to tell you guys this thread is fucking great, loads of suggestions, months of reading. Cheers /sci/.
>>
>>8012792
Just ordered Daemon and Freedom™, I hope they're as good as the Amazon ratings make it seem
>>
>>8010812
Loved Anathem. Was actually skimming this thread to see if anyone recommended it.
>>
>>8029582
>Flowers for Algernon
Dehumanized people with disabilities and claimed they were incapable of improvement on their own.

It also promoted psychiatry, which was at the time, and some still argue still is, a barbaric sport, not art or science, it attacking people with fallacies and biases, often followed with intentional torture, psychological abuse, applied force and extreme oppression.

Shit book.
This is one of the few cases where the film was actually better than the book.
The film Charly actually took a critical look at the presumptions made by the characters in the book, and the speech given by Charly, different from that in the book, is considered one of the most profound and prophetic speeches in cinematic history.
>>
>>8009656
I just read and can recommend. It's a relatively fast read and decent enough first contact type fiction.
>>
>>8030842
You're saying mentally disabled people are capable of increasing their IQ on their own?
>>
File: TheTimeShips.jpg (92 KB, 392x648) Image search: [Google]
TheTimeShips.jpg
92 KB, 392x648
This is my recommendation, it is a continuation of Well's classic (written in the same tone which helps keep it together) but taken to even more astonishing heights so it keeps pace with the modern sci fi very well, nothing is dated. Great great book.

>>8011426
ringworld is great, the entire series is worth reading if you really wanna get more into the setting but the first book is a must read of any sci fi buff - the scale will blow your mind.
>>
File: rZKUF.jpg (20 KB, 300x324) Image search: [Google]
rZKUF.jpg
20 KB, 300x324
>>8030836
The progression is fucking insane if you think about it. Love it when something that's set in such close and personal quarters turns into a massive epic naturally.
>>
File: headspacecover4-small.jpg (2 MB, 1563x2500) Image search: [Google]
headspacecover4-small.jpg
2 MB, 1563x2500
>>8009531
Weird tech-noir story about artificial realities and corrupt corporations. Its in the style, tradition or vein of Philip K Dick. Worth a read.
>>
>>8030836
>>8031542
>Major themes include the many-worlds interpretation
Will I projectile-vomit? It sounds vomit-inducing.
>>
>>8011426
Just read Protector by Larry Niven.
Would highly recommend as well.
>>
>>8029446
>using micro$oft format for ebooks, ever
>registering your kindle
>allowing ads to get downloaded to your kindle

Kindles go in airplane mode on first arrival and stay that way. No ads ever, even on the ads versions. No registering and certainly no amazon account

Fucking Microsoft Word is not an ebook format and never has been. It's hard as shit to convert to one because its fundamentally different. Imagine printing out a website and expecting the hyperlinks to work when you paw at them with your greasy ham fingers
>>
>>8029369
>Kindle has really horrid software and interface, supports only few formats, you have to register it, adds are annoying

Idk, never had a problem with any of that. Just torrent everything, converting books from epub to mobi takes like 45 seconds. Never dealt with ads, easily worth the $15. One of the best purchases I've ever made. Got about 200 books so far, haven't paid for one of them. It's amazing. Paperwhite 2 btw. I don't know how older models are, but this one is fantastic. Worth every cent.
>>
>>8030787
Absolutely loved these. Definitely wouldn't recommend to "hard" sci-fi readers, but they're just great fun. Daemon was super, super cool, but Freedom is my favorite. I love the augmented reality route it went (not really a spoiler, you'll see).
>>
>>8030842
>Dehumanized people with disabilities and claimed they were incapable of improvement on their own.

Found the autist.
>>
>>8009590
Leto II got me in my feels. Just got done reading God Emperor Of Dune.
Hwi on the otherhand, pissed me off for sleeping with Duncan. Fuck that hoe. Even if Leto planned on mating her with some other dude, still though.
>>
>>8009637
tovarich!
>>
>>8010804
heh, I read it as "Chess Tactics, Reckless Chronicles"

(subtitle: memoir of a speed chess hack)
>>
>>8012784
yeah, this is the kind of military wank that Jerry Pournelle and Heinlein loved to write
>>
>>8013171
it is a very good sci-fi cop show, and it gets thoughtful on the nature of consciousness at times.

Planetes is good for near-term space settlement
>>
>>8014572
one of my favorites, I reread it every couple years. It also makes me nostalgic for the old UseNet newsgroups.
>>
>>8020807
>manga version
whaat? tell me more
>>
>>8025864
one thing I wonder about. PKD has had a huge number of his works adapted for film or TV movies compared to other SF authors. How did that happen?
>>
>>8024894
Fuck this was amazing.
>>
>>8017178
The genre is called "Space Opera": huge events, vast extent in time &/or space; only a few individuals are capable of saving populations/ worlds/ universe(s).
Read on, it is worth it.
>>
>>8036438
His stories often don't have a huge amount of 'science' to mock-up for movies. Not that the producers haven't added in stuff when it suits them - think of the second "Total Recall" movie with robot factories and the thru-the-earth tube shuttle.
>>
>>8010812
It was great. I should reread it sometime soon.
Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.