[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
geology thread. What kind of math is useful for geologist, outside
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13
File: 1449020160383.jpg (428 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
1449020160383.jpg
428 KB, 2048x1365
geology thread.

What kind of math is useful for geologist, outside of the usual differential equations and linear algebra?

What specialty of geology, interests you?
seismology, geochemistry, geophysics, marine geology, paleontology, hydrology etc.
>>
>>8007856
Yourmomlogy
>>
>>8007856

Statistics

The only geologists that get paid are the ones finding gold, oil, iron ore etc and you need some pretty advanced stats to do that
>>
I'm into biology & chem but I've encountered some geologists when working with diatoms. I even have a meteor piece from Dr. Richard Hoover at the school's lab.
>>
File: shock.png (1 MB, 1527x1039) Image search: [Google]
shock.png
1 MB, 1527x1039
>>8007856
wooo finally a thread on /sci/ that is about my major!

Math's to take are:
>Statistics
>Calculus 1 and 2
>Diff Eq
>Super statistics
>super dooper statistics
>extreme statistics 2017 edition
>calc 2 again

But I am still a pleb end of freshman year geology major, so maybe I know nothing

taking stats over the summer so I can take a paleontology course in the fall. taking mineralogy in the fall too

Taking physical Geography and a GIS class in the fall too.

not sure what I want to do yet, but I am planning on getting a Geology major + 2 geography minors (or a dual major if I can fit the extra few classes in my schedule) Then I am planning on going to grad school so I dont end up super poor.

I am probably gonna use family connections to get into the oil industry when I get out.
>>
>>8007856
>geology
Awful
>>
>>8008131

okay so statistics are important, I get that. From what I have read GIS is a very employable skill. It has been a saving grace for many geography majors.

Oddly enough my geology major does not require stats

>Then I am planning on going to grad school so I dont end up super poor.

can you make 40k u.s dollar salary with a geology bachelors? That seems pretty decent.
>>
>>8008131
Could you explain how the fuck did you end up liking something like geology?

I like pure math and I see a perfect reason for that.

I kinda understand people who like physics, chemistry and all the engineerings.

But I cannot even begin to comprehend what kind of twisted serial murderer would like shit like biology, history, geology, geography, etc.
>>
>>8008442
Geology is a way to study the surface expressions of incredibly dynamic past events. Our earth is a violent, changing place, but the timescales that these changes occur over are too long for us to observe them. Geology allows us to investigate where the physical fabric of our world came from, why it is like it is, and where it's going
>>
>>8007856
Depends on what you want to do. Geophysics you'll need calculus and more calculus, and the suite of fun that follows, namely PDEs and their numerical solutions. Other shit (pretty much anything at the surface), you're trying to describe broad spatial patterns and you'll need statistics. That said, I didn't take stats in college, and my gut feeling is that calculus-series classes are going to look stronger if you're applying to grad school. In a PhD program now, but in oceanography, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt
>>
>>8008451
Well, that's a definition, not why you like it.
>>
>>8008472
It's a definition, yes. But it's my personal definition, highlighting the shit about geology that I think is cool
>>
>>8007856
Bắc Sơn, Lạng Sơn, Vietnam
(aka Bắc Sơn Valley)
>>
>>8008472
I mean, try to put into words why you like math
>>
>>8008474
Fair enough.

>>8008480
I like math because it studies the most complex structures our brains can imagine and every time I write a clever proof or solve a clever problem I get a strong rush of adrenaline that fills me with determination.
>>
>>8008477
>Bắc Sơn, Lạng Sơn, Vietnam
Bắc Sơn district, Lạng Sơn province, (Northeastern) Vietnam
>>
Tell me about GIS.
I'm not even a STEM guy, but we're starting to do a lot of plotting geographic data for stats wonks to play with. Is there any benefit to studying it/getting a certification if I really don't like stats?
>>
>>8008483
Okay, so you did me better and actually gave a personal reason. I enjoy physical natural sciences because the world seems like a grand, incredibly complex puzzle, and I want to be part of the solution: I want to figure out how and why the little pieces fit together
>>
>>8008484
http://www.vamvo.com/DuLichBacSon.aspx
>>
>>8008413

No

See >>8008067
>>
>>8008485
I don't know to much about it. I didn't even know there were certificates for GIS, as long as it isn't from a for-profit institution it should look good on a resume.

If you aren't a STEM guy why are you plotting geographic data?
>>
>>8008413
40k is shit
I will feel disapointed in myself if i make less than 80k after the first 4 years of getting my career started.

>>8008442
I have always been interested in nature and have been to plenty of different parks, forests, and beaches. I want to know how all that shit got the way it is.
I also have always been interested in rocks and gemstones.

Math has never been easy for me, and although i am not an idiot so i am able to do it, i hate every minute of math classes
It just doesnt make sense to me and solving equations puts me on suicide watch.
However i am probably mildly autistic because i love categorizing and memorizing large dumps of information such as the geological time scale or the names and descriptions of rocks and minerals. I also enjoy analyzing what is going on in a map or data set to extrapolate more information.

Also i have never been a good student, but i can consistently get A+ marks in my geology courses when the people around me are getting B's and C's
>>
>>8008442
Oh yea, funny thing too, my absolute best friend is a pure math guy too.

We laugh because of how little we are able to understand eachother's major but how we both like our own.
>>
>>8009767
>Math has never been easy for me, and although i am not an idiot so i am able to do it, i hate every minute of math classes
I think you have preconceived notions about Math.
>>
>>8009745
Simple form-based data associated with specific addresses. We collect it, and it's so simple to geocode that I just do it myself.
>>
>>8009850
Such as?
My algebra skills are terrible, i dont pick up the material or understand it very easily and none of it "just makes sense" like most people who have tried to help me will say. Niether of my parents are very math minded, and my mom will even start yelling at me to stop if it try to explain a simple algebra problem to her.
I am just not very talented at learning and doing math that requires problem solving, i can follow a formula, or convert units, but i cant solve a derivative without fucking up a lot.

Rocks and nature stuff comes hella easy tho, and is simple enough for me to study and memorize.
>>
>>8009905
math skills can be developed, it just requires practice. Practice until you get better at it. You might have just had shit teachers. Sometimes youtube videos can explain better than teachers. Also try to use every resource at your disposable, office hours, TA office hours, sometimes there are study halls and groups.

Math skills can also separate your from the pack and make you a more valuable employee.

Don't expect math to be something that makes sense on the first pass.

I plan on making my niche as a geologist who is good at math.

A question to any geologist out there, would a numerical analysis course have been of use to you guys, or should I concentrate on stats.
>>
File: content_1392588907.jpg (75 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
content_1392588907.jpg
75 KB, 640x448
>>8010065
>niche
more like extremely high demand
a few of the grad seminars I have gone to have had some extremely high level math. Geologists who are good at making computer simulations and data models do great professionally. there just arent a lot of them, because geologist tend to not love math.

I need to try harder at math for sure though, you are definitely right. It probably doesnt help that my uni has a 60% fail rate for Calc 1. I am just happy our geology department has it's shit together really well. too bad we aren't nationally ranked very well but that is probably because we are a smaller department.

posting pretty stones to liven up the thread
>>
>>8010083

moar gems
>>
File: Dioptase-36918.jpg (73 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Dioptase-36918.jpg
73 KB, 600x400
>>8010096
ok
I might post a rock or mineral that isnt a gem though
>>
>>8010100
mmm spicy dubs

mmm spicy feldspar
>>
>>8010103
>>
File: Torbernite-120981.jpg (68 KB, 469x500) Image search: [Google]
Torbernite-120981.jpg
68 KB, 469x500
>>8010113
i had a lot less pics than I anticipated.
4/4
:^(
>>
File: 2.jpg (197 KB, 800x608) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
197 KB, 800x608
>>8010116
mmm oh yeah baby im ROCK HARD right now

black opal <3
>>
File: black-opal-gem-352955a.jpg (17 KB, 290x290) Image search: [Google]
black-opal-gem-352955a.jpg
17 KB, 290x290
>>8010134
>>
Bump
(From mobile so i cant post rocks)
>>
File: DSCN6446.jpg (727 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
DSCN6446.jpg
727 KB, 2048x1536
Swapping major to Geology next semester, can't wait.
>>
Geology major here:

Hydrology and Geophysics are what interest me the most.
>>
>>8007856
>pic
>all that sloppy organization of crop fields

My OCD can't take that image.
>>
>>8012798
Swapping from which major? What made you want to change major.

I am doing the same thing as you. I was a comp sci major, but I couldn't imagine working for some douche making some who gives a fuck app along with other comp sci majors. I want to do something that is very "real" and applied. Even if they pay me 30k a year to go collect water related measurements from streams, someone has to do it, I'll be happy. Making a new app on the other hand is totally pointless to society. Society doesn't need a new bullshit app, but it does need information and analysis about the Earth and its resources.
>>8013186
same here. I want to focus on hydrology since it is the most important natural resource. I know many geology majors go work for oil companies but I don't want to do that.
>>
So lads whos a britbong here? What university would you recommend? And what course?
>>
>>8007856
PDEs, numerics and stats have been mentioned, but for more geophysical stuff complex analysis and Fourier analysis/some other integral transforms would be very useful.

Seismology is basically Fourier analysis.
>>
>>8008442

geology is solving a mystery that's millions of years old.

Also you have autism.
>>
>>8013502
Same reason as you basically bro, I'm an Information Technology major, and after doing this for a while, I've realized, that I don't want to spend my entire life working on computers. In fact, that sounds awful. Plus, i loved Geology in highschool and I really enjoyed the I intro course in college.
>>
>>8013593
I personally studying Geology(Msc) at Plymouth, where the seem to be pouring loads of money into the Geo department (all the other deps. seem much less cared for). It's certainly a nice place, though the university as a whole isn't ranked particularly well.
Lots of fieldwork though and Dartmoor (other moors are available) is ~20 miles away, which is good in my book.
>>
>>8013735
>I can tell you which kind of dinosaur took a dump here 200 million years ago! I'm like Scooby Doo!
>>
>>8013807
ur you frum down earr boiy? Or ur you one o them big ciiy folk?
>>
>>8013807
My uni is pretty low ranked too
Which is weird cause our department has a really nice building and facilities, along with some great proffesors who arent shitters
>>
Anyone here have any experience working in seismology? How is it? I was thinking about trying to go into it.
>>
>>8013593
Camborne School of Mines
Keale
Birmingham
Or as >>8013807 said, Plymouth; Iain Stewart is a bro.

>>8013859
Wes' Cun'ree. Bes' Cun'ree.
>>
File: Biotite.png (2 MB, 1080x744) Image search: [Google]
Biotite.png
2 MB, 1080x744
Bump
>>
>>8014331
is it possible to get into seismology with only a bachelors degree? Seismology is pretty dope, but I feel like a grand total of 10 seismology jobs are created a year.
>>
>>8016659
I'm not sure, I would think you would have to go to grad school.
>>
>>8013502
>>8013186
>tfw shitposting on /sci/ instead of working on your master thesis in hydrology
>>
>>8008442
>But I cannot even begin to comprehend what kind of twisted serial murderer would like shit like biology, history, geology, geography, etc.

yet you like "pure math"
>>
File: Baryte-Galena-Pyrite-203072.jpg (76 KB, 600x440) Image search: [Google]
Baryte-Galena-Pyrite-203072.jpg
76 KB, 600x440
Bump
>>
File: Geologist's weapon of choice.png (508 KB, 1020x875) Image search: [Google]
Geologist's weapon of choice.png
508 KB, 1020x875
mah nigga

paleofag reporting, currently doing M.S. thesis on trilobite morphometrics
that's right, bitches: I'm doing a bio thesis in the geo department.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.