[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Space General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 230x144) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 230x144
Can you guys explain how the u.s made it to the moon. I can't find a clear answer how.
>>
this little thing called the cold war
>>
F=GMm/r^2
>>
>>8005663
They flew there on a rocket-ship.
>>
>>8005663
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon#History_of_exploring_the_Moon
>>
>>8005663
contrary to popular belief, the US didn't land on the moon, they lowered the entire moon to about sea level, climbed on top of it, took some pictures, and then put it back in space
>>
>>8005672
This

Without the geopolitical driver nobody would have dropped $110 billion (in todays money) on such a wasteful endeavor like walking on the moon
>>
File: MJ on the Moon.gif (724 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
MJ on the Moon.gif
724 KB, 500x381
>>8005787
Drop a good beat and we can all walk on the moon
>>
>>8005663
>I can't find a clear answer how.
... because your search-fu is weak.
>>
>>8005787
>NASA lands on other worlds
>"Wasteful!"
>NASA stays in LEO
>"Wasteful!"
the more I browse this board the more it becomes obvious that you hate NASA because they havent commercialized space. You dont really care about pushing the limits of human knowledge and engineering, you only care about getting your own fat ass into space.

Calling NASA inefficient for costing $110 billion to going to the moon is like criticizing an inventor for his invention costing more than the commercial product years later. One-offs cost more than the commercial version, thats how economics work. You cant get to the commercial version without the one-off, thats how engineering works.

Its funny that /sci/ always laments that the early pioneers like Tesla are ignored in favor of buisenessmen like Edison yet you love trashing NASA in favor of a businessman out to make a quick buck out of rehashing their technology.
>>
File: SpaceDebris2016.png (248 KB, 1239x869) Image search: [Google]
SpaceDebris2016.png
248 KB, 1239x869
NASA's Orbital Debris Quarterly was just released. Many explosive events in the last few months, nearspace is getting pretty littered.
>>
>>8006620
Hmm this just made me think of something. Couldn't that giant laser array for the Starshot bullshit also be used to disintegrate space debris?
>>
>>8006437
NASA's wasteful because they spend all that money & have literally nothing to show for it
>>
>>8006437
I wouldn't call anything NASA did up until the Voyager missions wasteful. Everything since is another matter. Really, the biggest problems with NASA stem from political dependency and corruption in old space corps more so than from NASA itself.

I don't think NASA should be privatized but it wouldn't hurt if the government treated NASA bit more like the NSA where their every action isn't mandated or babysat by congress and getting funding isn't like pulling teeth.
>>
>>8005663
What's more surprising is that we haven't killed an astronaut (in space) yet. I'll put good money on a U.S. astronaut dying in the next 20 years.
>>
>>8006720
Never really thought about it like that. Pretty amazing actually.

>Earth is the most dangerous part of space exploration
>>
>>8006720
It's not all that surprising. Excluding ambient dangers like radiation, launches and landings are far more stressful on crafts than space travel itself. The worst thing that can happen while you're in space, assuming your craft has been appropriately designed, is system failure which barring a malfunction, has no reason to happen in the relatively stress-free environment of space.

>>8006736
>Earth is the most dangerous part of space exploration
Yep.
>>
>>8006740
You forgot the (unlikely) danger of getting hit by something in space though.
>>
>>8006640
not a bad idea. The concept is called a "space broom". You shoot the laser at debris and vaporize the leading edge, which not only makes it smaller but also gives it some thrust to lower its orbit. So you often don't have to disintegrate the whole piece of debris to get it low enough to reenter the atmosphere.

One problem is making the laser strong enough to penetrate the atmosphere, not to mention accurate enough to hit a tiny chunk of debris.
>>
>>8006640
Youd ignite the ozone layer in our atmosphere and kill us all
>>
>>8006785
It would have a negligible effect on the total ozone.
>>
>>8006792
Not if its all on fire.

Look up HAARP.
>>
>>8006795
You can't set the ozone on fire retard.

>>>/x/
>>
>>8006795
>look up...
You won't gain anything from looking anything up when you have zero critical thinking skills.
>>
Japan is known for anthropomorphizing their satellites and probes. Has anyone seen a dizzy Hitomi-chan now that their astronomy satellite is spinning out of control?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.