[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Sci/, why the doctor hate? Sure, 4 more years of schooling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 14
/Sci/, why the doctor hate?

Sure, 4 more years of schooling after undergrad, but all my med school friends have time to go out, exercise, activities, etc.

>Long hours
Yea, but not too bad depending on specialty. Dermatology is 45 hours per week. PMR and Psychiatry are 50. Options to work part time.

>Bad pay
Except not. Not God-tier, but high job security and ability to live comfortably.
>>
File: image.png (33 KB, 399x368) Image search: [Google]
image.png
33 KB, 399x368
>>8002685
>dermatology
>psychiatry
>real doctor

Pick one
>>
>>8002685
I remember an anon that wanted to kill himself because of how horrible and stressful the job was, how bad the decision to go into the long journey that med school is, and how narcissistic his colleagues had to be to ever enjoy being a doctor.
>>
>>8002685
I think the general consensus is that we have great respect for medical doctors but the vast majority of us would absolutely not want to be one unless it's one of those relatively less stressful ones, like an optometrist or pediatrician
>>
He probably went into an intense field like surgery.

>Go into optho, derm, PMR, radiology, etc.
>Work 40-50 hours per week in outpatient center, outside of a hospital
>Make good money
>Enjoy your cush lifestyle
>>
>>8002685
Med school is like the engineering of biology, and we all know biology isn't science

The reason we hate this shit is because it's just not challenging or interesting enough to care about. Anyone can do it. Med school is just memorizing flash cards. True /sci/ scotsmen prefer meaningful science over vapid feminine memorization based ''''''''''''''''''''''''biology science''''''''''''''''''''''''
>>
>>8003840
I've never met a "hard science" fag who could survive in biology. They all bitch and whine about even having to try to memorize half a word.
>>
>>8003840
that meme's been dead for quite some time now, stop forcing it in every thread. cringy
>>
>>8003840
>med school is like the engineering of biology
I don't get that reference. I'm new to this board. Care to explain?
>>
>>8004670
Not the guy, but it's pretty simple. Engineering is the application of scientific principles. Physics paves the way, and engineering builds stuff in its wake. Similarly with biology and medicine. Biology is the field of science that expands our understanding of life, and medicine applies that knowledge of the human body especially to help people.
>>
>>8004681
Thanks for clearing that up, but why are application based fields like medicine and engineering usually not appreciated by the scientists? I've often come across physicists condescending engineers, and almost every body on this board condescending doctors.
>>
>>8002734
Optometrists aren't proper doctors, they go to a special optometry school which is not medical school.
>>
>>8002685

>but all my med school friends have time to go out, exercise, activities

they're lying anon

However, any field in which you have to actually interact with the patient is godawful. You'll get soccer moms, screaming tards, demented elderly, drug addicts trying to trick you into prescribing them meds.

Going to a doctor does something to people's mind, they turn into the most bilious, hateful version of themselves.

Otherise, any kind of field when you do not have to actually talk to people is great.

Surgery is a bit boring to me, pathological anatomy is god tier, diagnostic imaging is nice.

Cardiology/gastroenterology/nephrology are the big NO if you're worried about stress

>>8003840

This guy knowledge of medicine comes from Scrubs and/or Dr.House
>>
>>8004701
The idea on this board goes something like this:

"anyone can become an engineer or doctor, all it takes is hard work, but not everyone can become a scientist or mathematician which requires mostly smarts"

Now, they're not wrong that science requires brighter minds for breakthroughs, but keep in mind that a lot of bitterness towards engineers and doctors on this board stems from the fact that they get all the jobs and money, while getting a degree in pure science will not guarantee jobs or a good salary. The bitterness is even worse with very insecure mathematicians and physicists, some of which are insecure enough to treasure their degree title as proof of their intelligence, hence the condescension towards anyone else. Not everyone is like that though, this board has good people in physics and mathematics too.

Don't pay too much mind to what they say, people are going to speak their mind and most of the time their words are not going to be genuine criticism, but will usually stem from personal agendas and complexes. If you want to be an engineer or doctor, nothing like this should dissuade you, you should do what you like for your own reasons.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>8004719
Well thanks, that was very helpful.
>>
>Fourth year of MD-PhD
>10 year program in my university, including 3 terrible years of B.Sc+M.Sc in medical sciences (we usually take USMLE step 1 at this point), 3 years of intense PhD, 3 years of completing the PhD while finishing Med-school and 1 year internship
>Started when I was 23 (average age to stat med-school in my country is 24)
>People on /sci/ complaining about how old they will be when finishing Med-school at 26

Nigger please
>>
>>8004670
>>8003840
In my understanding, medicine is not only the application of medicine, it is a science in itself and a sub-discipline of biology, just like microbiology is a science in itself, but still a sub-discipline of biology.
>>
>>8002690
I consider a dermatologist more of a doctor than a GP. But then again, I am a dentist.
>>
File: thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg (44 KB, 500x406) Image search: [Google]
thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg
44 KB, 500x406
>>8004719
>>
>>8004760
I have never met any doctor who was condescending towards dermatologists. In fact, in my country the students with the highest grades in med-school usually go to dermatology or ophthalmology. The guy who wrote that obviously knows very little about medicine.
>>
>>8003840
>"I do it for the prestige"
Please tell me that this is a minority view on /sci/?
>>
>>8002685
>bad pay
said literally no one ever

>long hours
sick people dont wait for you to get your 8 hours anon. If someone is in trouble and you are the attending, you go in. This is the reality for the majority of doctors

>why the doctor hate?
Because premeds use education as a means to an end. They start undergrad taking about how they are going to be a doctor and dont give a shit about chemistry, physics, math, etc. despite those all being fundamental ideas to understand. Then, when the chaff is separated from the wheat they complain about how their shitty biology or psych degree only qualifies them for a lab tech degree (at best) in a field they didnt care about in the first place. They wont go to grad school because they never cared about biology to begin with. anyway
>PhD in biology
what did you do? look at a deer/plant population for 5 years and write a paper about it?

The ones that do get into and finish med school dont find the glory they were looking for. everyone may look upon them as exalted, but in reality at least 50% are just wiping runny noses and tickling teenage boys' balls. The incredibly successful ones faced long hours and extremely stressful work where more than a few people have died under their care. They are the ones that have to break that news; "i fucked up and now your husband/brother/sister/wife is dead. pay me $$$ now please"

i saw a chart posted on here a couple weeks ago that showed something like 45% of doctors in high stress areas regretted going to med school and say they would do something different if given the option.
>>
>>8004789
>>PhD in biology
>what did you do? look at a deer/plant population for 5 years and write a paper about it?
wat
>>
>>8002685
>4 more years of big pharma indoctrination

fixed
>>
Other majors have a negative view of doctors because our only experience with them is during their few years as undergrads before they go off to medical school. During this time, premeds are notorious for caring only about passing classes with A's, rather than understanding the material and getting an A.

They obsess over grades, but have a throwaway mentality when it comes to the actual material.
>>
>>8003840
this desu
>>
>>8004803
I was being meme worthy.
>>
>>8004803
That's pretty much what biology PhDs do.
>>8004789
At school because I was good at science I was pushed to do medicine. boy I'm glad I didn't. High-level stuff like medicine, engineering or law gives you lots of money but it's not worth the stress. Right now I am looking for a job that has decent pay but isn't 60 hour weeks. "muh prestige" kids are in for a huge shock.
>>
>>8002685
>Unironically acting like Dermatology and Psychology are actual specialties.
Enjoy being a faggot dude. Do Neurosurgery or Cardiothoracic man or Urology or General. Transplant if you're a badass. I don't hate doctors , I hate "doctors".
>>
>>8002685
Enjoy paying half your paycheck for malpractice faggot. Also enjoy never sleeping ever.
>>
>>8004833
Ah, well meme'd then.

>>8004846
I hope you're memeing all the same. For /sci/'s sake.
>>
>>8002685
>/Sci/, why the doctor hate?

>8 years of university
>Every year more competitive and soul crushing than the last
>then after the 4th year you have to fight once again against the geniuses of your country, and you end up attending somewhere that was once your 5th option, killing you inside even more
>But that is not even the end, 4 years to go
>Competitiveness still killing you
>Now doing your professional practice under a doctor that has already endured all that shit and as such is a jaded sadistic old man who makes you do menial shit just for fun
>reminder that as you do this, you hear your friends talking about their careers, one of them is already a PE, the other has already published in his field of specialty as a PhD, the other is an entrepreneur that is doing pretty well.
>then you graduate
>you come out with all this hatred inside of you, just a complete lack of care for humanity after you have endured so much shit. You lived the 50 holocausts.

And now who do you think they are going to take this out on?
>>
>>8004864
I'm half memeing. Last time I did biology I had to write a report on the number of bubbles given off by an underwater plant. Despite averaging 98% in the exams this caused me to quit biology. First time science ever bored me and I think Lagrangian mechanics is fun. Therefore while he was memeing there is some element of truth to what he says, biological investigations can be tedious.
>>
>>8002685

There are perks, strategies, opportunities, and choices that can be made within each profession that can ease the burden and the memes about certain job types being ridiculously soul-sucking originate with people who don't take advantage of these opportunities.
>>
>>8004936
In my experience, I'd say all sciences have very tedious parts. For biology, that part might be ecology (at least for me and you). But it's kind of ridiculous to compare a silly project like that with what PhDs do. Who do you think will develop stem cell treatments, for example?

Anyway, a point I want to stress is that people here often make the mistake of equating biology with ecology, which couldn't be farther from the truth. You choose which field you will pursue within biology.
>>
>>8004978
True, and it also bares mention that the various fields of biological research use very different methodologies.
For instance in my lab alone (which is microbiology bioinformatics) we have people from many different fields: Molecular biologists, Chemists, Computer scientists, Mathematicians, Physicists, Chemists, Agriculture (yup), Medicine and more.
>>
>>8005002
Also I think the Statistician deserves special mention
>>
>>8002698
Yeah, one look at the world, job security sure, but the odors, the sights, the relentless moaning about shit when all most people need is a good smack upside the head.

My great grandfather was a MS, blew his brains out with a shotgun soon after retirement. Apparently got Asian fever and the little slant eye ripped his heart out and shat on it, he was a real romantic.
>>
>>8004719

Slight blog here; currently in my first year PhD in physics, but I did half my undergrad as an engineer, basically for all these reasons -- just flipped over. Everyone I met thought of basic science research as a dead end, mental self-wankery, and basically of no use to society, so I got pushed into engineering when I entered college (especially bad for me since I knew I wanted to do theory).

I hated it enough to switch into physics and start doing basic, rather than applied, research, but goddamn do I regret ever listening to others' opinions. The problem is that I agreed to an extent -- it certainly did seem like mental masturbation, with plenty of inflated egos just because "I do pure science", so I wanted to avoid that culture. But in all honesty I haven't experienced it much anyway, but then again I'm at the bottom of the academic ladder for now anyway.

Basically, the converse of your last paragraph applies too, and I just wanted anyone who's currently in my situation to know the same.
>>
>>8004978
I wasn't making fun of biology I was just saying that I personally found ecology boring. You're right I shouldn't have generalized it to all of biology.
>>
>>8003840
>Med school is like the engineering of biology, and we all know biology isn't science

Underrated post.
>>
>>8002685
The only people I don't really like who are doctors are the people who major in Philosophy or Arts, or some easy bull shit and then go to Med School.

They basically take a four year break, and then go to med school to coast their way through by memorizing into a role of a Doctor.
>>
>>8005503
Why do you hate them?
>>
>>8002685
I don't hate doctors. I just hate the ones who say bullshit like "I became a doctor cos I wanted to help people".
>>
>>8004846
Do people even get graduate degrees in "biology" anymore? That is such a wide net to cast, even at the undergraduate level, that it is almost entirely uninformative.

Are you just shitting on field biologist/ enviro. sci/ oceanography types? If so, it's hit or miss. I'm a bench biologist and although I occasionally have to deal with these people, they are a mixed bag. Some are truly smart, while others are glorified vacationers getting their trips comped by funding agencies. Uniformly, all these types hate biomedical researchers like me and the funding we pull compared to them.

>gee sorry my blood biomarker discovery program for neurodegenerative diseases got fully funded while your proposal to see how boat traffic scares whales didn't. I have no idea why that could have happened!
>>
This is why you go in to Pharmacy. Can either do research, clinical testing or distribution and all three of them will make great money. This also includes less stress and even more time in ones life.
>>
>they cure people
>keep the human race from having proper natural selection
>>
>>8002685
because my high school friend who want to become doctors are faggots who learn mainly by memorizing, which low animalfags can do
>>
>>8005002

I'm interning in a Bacteriology and Immunology research group and we have a wide margin of people from different fields, though mostly microbiologists and doctors. I'm a laboratory analyst myself so I find myself doing a bit of everything, from inoculation to microscopy to PCR and sequencing and to making solutions. It's interesting work.
>>
>>8006178
What else are they supposed to do? It is all about memorising large amounts of information, and that is basically all subjects in med school too.
It's not physics or math where they can think up stuff on their own or solve problems.
It is the application of all the learnt stuff in a nutshell.
>>
>>8006200
then how come they're so smug about it
>>
>>8006200
> muh Medical Doctor degree
> muh ability to memorize
> look I'm "smart"
seriously medical doctor is not the appropriate to describe them, something like a "health worker" would be more suitable
>>
>>8006135
Is it the same for Pharmaceutical Sciences?

Also, what is your location? In the Netherlands pharmacists make poor dosh.
>>
>>8006191
>laboratory analyst
How did you become this?
>>
>>8006210
Jesus Christ it's no wonder so many people in the math department seem so autistic.

The classes may be mostly memorization but actually being a doctor takes a variety of skills and deductive reasoning. People are not going to come in and perfect list off all their symptoms. It is up to the doctor to coax out the right information, know what is useful and what is coincidence while considering all the multiple possibilities. Apply that for the need of behavioral training that is becoming almost required for doctors so that you can convince the patient to actually follow through with the treatments and you see how much plasticity is needed in the field. Also add in the fact the skill in being able to apply these techniques in high stress situations.
>>
>>8006241

It's just a fancier name for lab technician, so nothing special, studying it as my major.

Planning on doing my masters either on radiochemistry or microbiology, depending on how my last year and a half goes.
>>
>>8004719
One of the more honest posts on /sci
>>
>>8006607
>asking questions is a super special skill
>telling people to take x,y drugs is a unique talent
you sound really retarded. is pumping gas also incredibly difficult?
>>
>>8006607
>deductive reasoning
Not really

You could literally replace a doctor with a giant flowchart with drug dispensers at the end
>>
what about psychologists?

"A Psychologist earns an average salary of $70,650 per year."
>>
>>8002685
>Psychiatrist
>only 45 hrs

45 hrs of dealing with people that can't reason, can get away with violence, murder bc muh mental illness and are unpredictable.

General practicioners look at sick, crazy and dying people for 12 hours, six days a week. it's a secure job because nobody else wants it.

>Pro tip: most doctors are depressed or become drug abusers.
>>
>>8004733
In some countries they skip the 3 years of B.Sc, what are your thoughts on it?
>>
File: Dr.png (380 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
Dr.png
380 KB, 480x720
>>8002685
People hating on doctors are justifying to themselves why they never tried to go into medicine themselves. Everyone knows that being a doctor is the most respectable profession there is, and that hardworking, ethical MDs are fucking saints.
>>
>>8007263
they aren't real doctors. They're social workers and therapists
>>
>>8007945
>ethical MDs
they exist?
>>
>>8007945
> Medical "Doctor"
> "Doctor"
> "DOCTOR"
> "respectable"
topkek
>>
File: 1460682176065.gif (2 MB, 229x230) Image search: [Google]
1460682176065.gif
2 MB, 229x230
>>8002685
I don't hate you guys. I need you guys for now.

That said I could never do your job. Be around infectious people all the time? No thanks, I want to live.

And what I meant by for now is that I am working on automating you out of a job, nothing personnel (both puns intended).
>>
OP was looking for the word "Medic" anyone with a doctorate is a doctor, just saying...
>>
>>8008003
> automating you out of a job
nice AI meme m8 :^D
>>
>>8008005

AI isn't what is killing doctor jobs

It's legal minimum doctors offices like minute clinic at CVS
>>
>>8007116
Eventually, yes. Evidenced based medicine and a litigious society (in the US at least) that necessitates a justification for any decision will eventually replace doctors with algorithms.
>>
>>8002685
>Except not
it's relatively awful.
>>
>>8007116
Then next time you get sick, break an arm or get cancer just use WebMD and see how well that goes. The symptoms are not always going to be present, they will conflict with each other due to pure coicidence and as such you must figure out what to filter and what to focus on. Basic skills of critical thinking.

It may not be same the kind of critical thinking needed to figure out a new equation but can you seriously not appreciate the complexity of the highest respect job on the market?

>>8008069
If algorithms can somehow become advanced enough to replace such a wide array of skills and knowledge such as doctors then a vast majority of jobs will be replaced already. Hell that list by Oxford computing what jobs are most likely to be replaced put doctors as one of the lowest.
>>
>>8008330
wheres the money lebowski?
>>
>>8007263
>mfw I make more than that starting as an engineer in the comfy Midwest
>>
>studying the most complex object in the universe is pathetic

well meme'd

>>8008584
>US
>comfy

Ted Cruz 2016
>>
>>8008633
>studying
>doctors
Kek, most of them don't do research

>>8008540
WebMD doesn't have the same amount of information a doctor memorises. But, it's still the same process every single time with no mental act except recall. A well developed flowchart would replace doctors easily
>>
>>8002685
It's 90% memorisation, no critical thinking required.
It's also very straight forward - nothing in medicine is ever going to require you to think in a fundamentally different way, but this kind of conceptual revolution is commonplace in science and mathematics,
>>
>>8008785
Then please stop wasting your time on whatever you are doing and make one. You will make billions, save millions of lives (allow anyone instant medical access), and change the world completely.
>>
>>8008842
I never said creating it would be easy, but that's due to the sheer volume of information, not any complicatednees

It would need a computer with a huge ssd and a mediocre processor to follow the flowchart, so it wouldn't be that cheap. There'd be opposition from doctors (job displacement),and opposition from some patients who are worried.

That said, it's a fully functional theoretical concept
>>
>>8003840

Spotted the guy who any remember his own address.
>>
Who cares, their jobs are slowly going to be replaced by AI/ML systems. ML algorithms are already more accurate in correctly diagnosing from images, the main problem is legal issues and lobbying from the medical industry.
>>
>>8002685
>5-600k/year for some specialties
>bad pay
>>
>>8004803
If you get stuck with a biology degree, pursuing graduate education in genetics is undoubtedly the way to do.
>>
>>8004812
This is cultivated by the nature of med school admissions, med schools don't care about what you know, only rather or not you seem likely pass the board exams and be off their hands.
>>
>>8002685
All the kids who cheated their way to the top in my highschool went to premed and medical school. My highschool AP courses were saturated with incompentent students, so they all developed a pretty elaborate cheating ring, but cheating is against my personal morals so they all had extremely high GPAs while being unable to score higher than a 1600 on the SAT. So I have a slight disdain for med students, I see them all as extroverted retards, but I am probably just autistic.
>>
>>8009105
>cheating is against my personal morals
Translation: I am too stupid to cheat effectively.
>>
I don't hate you guys, I just hate everyone who doesn't make it to med school because they never took getting into med school seriously enough.

All those pre-med degrees are do or die and if you're not the best, you shouldn't even try.

T. Engineer
>>
>>8004870
underrated post. you're kidding yourself if you want to go to med school "to help people". that's literally what every singleperson has ever said. just be honest and admit you want to study "how to get money, power, and glory"
>>
>>8011114
No I honestly don't agree with cheating. I never have and never will. It's not even a practical long term strategy. That's why 50% of CS grads are absolute retards.
>>
>>8008795
>It's 90% memorisation, no critical thinking required.

it's the "biology isn't a science" guy!
>>
>Doctor just memorize thing, they don't know shit
With what kind of shit doctor you people go? Have none of you never actually know one that knows his shit?
>>
>>8011163
It's literally just a BS in biology or chemistry.

The typical Pre-med failure still has at least a 3.3 or 3.4, meaning they can still enter post-grad study when they wake up.
>>
>>8004710

this guy knows what he's talking about

praying that I be a radiologist one day
>>
>>8004719
>the idea on this board
I would say it extends to the real world as well. Either way nicely put anon
>>
>>8008955
The key word here is "some", "when" and "where.

>(Private practice) plastic surgery
These are a bitch to get into and even worse to flourish in. You are a wageless slave well into your late 30's until you've established yourself and the clinic you work in. Malpractice insurance for these is in the 100 000+ dollar range and lets not even talk about student debt.

>neurosurgery
There are big differences in pay, but only the very, very experienced chief consultants and the few internationally recognized people get paid this. And these people have qualifications that stack up to 3 PhDs. Also, you have no life. Every day from 6am to 9-10pm. No exceptions. "What is a family? Can you buy it?". Let's not even talk about malpractice insurance, because it might start with a "2"...
>>
The only and ONLY true annoying trait most insufferable in doctors ESPECIALLY clinical ones is having the audacity to act as if they're scientists and at the forefront of medicine.

>>8003840
This is accurate. They are applying what SCIENTISTS develop and research. They are given tools and data they CAN use to diagnose an illness. Most times they are FORCED to use because of regulations.

Too much prestige given to narcissists who might go on to specialize in an insurance leeching speciality like derm or anesthesia

On the flip side, doctors who volunteer or work for non profits are heroes
>>
>>8013852
Hospitals often pay malpractice insurance now that surgeons with private practices are becoming dinosaurs.

And I've shadowed a cardiothoracic surgeon who makes at least 450K year in bum-fuck Alabama. It should also be noted that 530k is the median income for CT.
>>
>>8014251
>Hospitals often pay malpractice insurance
Still quire rare.

Even at Ivy League schools professors have to get down and dirty and be on call (sic) just to get decent money to pay for insurance.

>530k is the median income for CT
May well be, but we talked about 600+. And thoracic is still very, very difficult to get into and not mention long. The lifestyle is also crippling, as you probably saw. There is a reason why people are hitting the ROAD.
>>
>>8014322
It's not as rare as you'd think, in fact most doctor's working for hospitals have at least some portion of the insurance covered by the hospital.

You'll note I said 500 to 600k, both being realistic.

They require a 6 year residency, only 2 more than for most standard specialties. Separate fellowships are no longer required.

>The lifestyle is also crippling
Not for him at least. Keep in mind you aren't obligated to cover some absurd number of cases unless you just want the money. He only worked 4-5 days a week other than coming in to do rounds and he threw parties most weekends.

I'm not saying it's not difficult, nor that it is entirely practical to have a life, nor even a good idea just for money, especially since profits are likely to shrink considerably in the future, but it was a damn good racket for a while.
>>
Let's be real here. Being a doctor is not bad at all.

Education:
- If you don't live in the USA you won't have to deal with any of this two parts bullshit. In Germany for example you simply have to have great A-levels and can start studying immediatly for 5 years, same time as you'd need for a Masters Degree.
- Studying is mostly memorizing, but what's the problem about this? If you think the topic is interesting, which many people do, you're gonna have fun learning it anyways

Job
- it's a hard job with long hours
- depending on where you live, it might get paid shitty (not everywhere)
- the Prestige isn't a fucking meme. Seriously, doctors having this kind of prestige isn't something that happened randomly. People need to trust their doctors, so they naturally put on a huge show to make you think that they are superheros, starting from the point where you enter the building. Just google it if you want to know more, but basically it's just natural. Which is a huge plus in my book. Tell anyone you are a doc and they immediatly respect you a little more just for yoing your job
- lot's of options and different fields to go into
- easy opportunitys to be self employed (in some countrys like germany the state will actually pay you money to help you get started with that)
- you're actually helping people - most people don't do it because of that even if they say so, but no matter why you do it, you're still actually helping people
- it doesn't get boring that fast
- your knowledge can be used in your every day life as well - you don't need to go to a doctor that often, you know very well how to life a good healthy life if you wanted to, you can take care of your family
- you're gonna see a lot of shit that is not easy to deal with
- sometimes you have to tell people bad news (but also good news)

Overall I think it's a good job. I wouldn't want to do it myself but I have a lot of respect for the people that do.
>>
>>8015636
>doctors get paid shitty
oh i am laffin. are you in europe? i hear the salaries are low there. Becoming a doctor in america is like winning the lottery for being smart.

>prestige
why are you putting so much emphasis on this as a positive trait of the job? this is one of the larger reasons why people are signing their lives away for a shitty job that was glorified in their TV Dramas. No, you arent going to be the cynical genius doctor that gives everyone shit. No, you arent going to fuck nurses and other doctors on the regular. No, you arent going to go home fulfilled. you will go home miserable, jaded, and depressed. you work in the place most of the population goes to die. It's not going to take long for that reality to envelope your feelings of pride.

I think you need to have respect for doctors for a different reason than you are claiming.
>>
Why the fuck would you get an M.D. (In the USA) if assisting sick or hurt people doesn't give you an immense positive feeling? I don't understand people who work only for money, because then you're eating a shit sandwich without even the promise of happiness afterwards.

T. nursing student with flight nursing aspirations
>>
>>8016124
The overwhelming cynicism on this board is hilarious to see, because I rarely encounter doctors that appear to hate their jobs, especially in the moment when they're putting their skills to use. It's like 4chan as a whole is utterly disconnected from reality.
>>
>>8015636
>you're actually helping people
Why can't docfags ever shut the fuck up about MUH HELPING PEEPUL

Literally every fucking premed I hear keeps saying I WANNA BE DOCTOR BECAUSE I WANNA HELP PEEPUL IM BEETRR DAN YOU BECAUE I HELP PEEPUIL

WANNA HELP PEEPUL WANNA HELP PEEPUL WANNA HELP PEEULEOTRP

US DOCTORS HAVE A MONOPOLY ON HEL:PING PEOPLE ONLY WE CAN HELP PEOPLE NOBODY ELSE CAN HELP PEOPEOEOPEL

Not even people in social work use this phrase as much as docfags, and even then they probably help people more than doctors
>>
>>8016127
I figure there are just few people here who have actually shadowed or observed doctors.

Most all I've seen were extremely happy and laid back, even when operating.
>>
File: filename.jpg (29 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
filename.jpg
29 KB, 720x720
both parents and siblings are doc's

i'm a dropout, drug addict and this is my blog
>>
>>8016133
holy fucking shit, can anyone explain what this is?
>>
>>8016687
some schizo being a schizo

they're pretty common on /sci/ unfortunately
>>
>>8007263
>psychologist
>doctor
pick one
>>
>>8016515
when your mom dies of breast cancer because nobody treated her, rethink this
>>
>>8008851

Imagine four different rashes that look almost identical, taking years of experience to notice the subtle differences in texture and colour that underlie them.

Now try to get a computer to figure out what condition the rash is indicative of.

Could be life-threatening, could be trivial.
>>
>>8002685
I don't really trust psychiatrists, you have to do regular med school on top of specialized psychiatry training and end up making substantially less than a regular doctor who has less training. The majority of people who go through that shit are people who have some childhood trauma or a disorder and they can't get over. In summary, they are as fucked up as their patients
>>
>>8016133
I fucking love reading this shit. Every few months these youtubers actually come up with pretty neat stories. I like the "despair code" one going around right now.

>worms the size of 1000 galaxies
i got excited reading that but as soon as the person developed on the idea they faaaaailed at it
>>
>>8016776
when your entire family dies from a house fire because there were no firemen, rethink this

when your girlfriend dies in an airplane crash because the mechanic left a bolt loose, rethink this

>B-BUT MUH DOCTORS are the only ones who HELP DA PEEPULZ and who have PEOPLES LIVES ON THEYRE HANDZZ

>muh DOCTORS ARE ALL SO EGALITARIAN

when no doctor bothered to abort your retarded mouth breathing ass before you were born and do the world that favor, rethink this
>>
>>8016515
Because the procession revolves around that retard, sure many profession help other in many ways but you must be autistic if you can't see why people on the health sector say this.
>>
>>8017729
>Because the procession revolves around that retard, sure many profession help other in many ways but you must be autistic if you can't see why people on the hotel porter sector say this.

>Because the procession revolves around that retard, sure many profession help other in many ways but you must be autistic if you can't see why people on the janitor sector say this.

>Because the procession revolves around that retard, sure many profession help other in many ways but you must be autistic if you can't see why people on the garbageman sector say this.

>Because the procession revolves around that retard, sure many profession help other in many ways but you must be autistic if you can't see why people on the valet sector say this.

>Because the procession revolves around that retard, sure many profession help other in many ways but you must be autistic if you can't see why people on the waiter sector say this.
>>
>>8017770
I didn't realise all of those jobs required you to be surrounded by death all day all the while cognizant that your efforts, though routine to yourself, are the only chance most of these people have to return to normal live.

Shit, I've seen 4 people die in hospitals, and the doctors have seen hundreds. Save for nurses, but the accountability doesn't fall on them.

I knew a cop who quit after seeing one person die knowing he was involved in trying to save him.
>>
>>8017791
>I didn't realise all of those jobs required you to be surrounded by death all day all the while cognizant that your efforts, though routine to yourself, are the only chance most of these people have to return to normal live.
>I need 10 years of schooling to know how to watch people die

Wow. I guess I just learn faster than most doctors.

>Shit, I've seen 4 people die in hospitals, and the doctors have seen hundreds. Save for nurses, but the accountability doesn't fall on them.

So by that metric, Auschwitz prison guards must be the most respectable profession then.

>I knew a cop who quit after seeing one person die knowing he was involved in trying to save him.

And I know a cop who shot and killed someone and didn't give a fuck. Your point?

It's funny how you try to defend an overrated profession and still can't come up with a coherent argument.
>>
>>8017860
Doctors are basically mechanics for the human body. Except the cars they are dealing with are much more complicated. I don't like fags that try to make docs out to be gods and that's not the reason I want to be a doc. I honestly just like the process of figuring out what's wrong with someone and doing something to help them out. Basically, I want to spend the rest of my life doing ER medicine: basically keeping people alive long enough that they can get the help they really need(or just lessening their pain depending on how bad things are).
>>
Alot of the idiots repeat the same calculations, memorize some scientific 'passages', and automatically assume their inherently superior because of that choice (They need to justify their special-snowflake complex).

Fact is, modern medicine is within the realm of genetics and biochemistry, and requires creative thought during diagnostics, not memorizing and regurgitating mathematical definitions or solved problems, ad infinitum.
>>
There is nothing wrong with being a physician, but they're not scientists and people need to stop acting like they are.

They should also stop using the title of doctor desu
>>
>>8002734
Optometrist isn't an MD though, that's an opthamologist. And that could be just as stressful since you have to perform emergency surgeries on people's eyes and have the constant risk of getting sued because somebody went blind even if it's not your fault
>>
File: postsofshit.gif (2 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
postsofshit.gif
2 MB, 300x169
>>8003840
0/10 for edgy elitist memepost, all the people agreeing just shows how autistic this board is
>>
File: Delete This!-1.png (121 KB, 920x279) Image search: [Google]
Delete This!-1.png
121 KB, 920x279
>>8004719

>actually being a kind and considerate anon
>thoroughly explaining one of the parts of meme culture on /sci/
>helping your fellow man

What are you doing anon!?
>>
>>8018104
>They should also stop using the title of doctor

>The first three doctoral degrees avaible were theology, law and medicine.
>>
File: jD7m7oc.jpg (131 KB, 640x787) Image search: [Google]
jD7m7oc.jpg
131 KB, 640x787
>I'm sorry, there's nothing we can do.
Or
>Oh shit, there was something I could have done.
Or
>Well, not exactly, our anesthesiologist...

Too much for me. I found that such a dire tone didn't mesh well with my personality. This is, of course, coupled with the grueling nature of med school, internship, etc before becoming a doctor. In addition, there was the cost of going to med school. Further, there are terribly long hours involved with being an MD. That was all because I wanted more money than I knew what to do with 30 years later and a fancy title as Doctor. I talked to my friends mom and a few of her colleagues and shadowed a doctor: it wasn't for me.

I'm going for my graduate degree for hopes of pursuing industrial microbiology. It's the kind of thing you can do, go home, go to BJJ and still be able to laugh.
>>
most people here are undergrads, and pre-med undergrads are some of the most arrogant, unbearable assholes around
>>
>>8018292
Well going only by this thread I just see butthurt people, I guess it comes with the natural elitism of this board.
I don't know why, most medfags I know are alright.
>>
>>8017860
One might if you had an argument to begin with, you're just casting your opinions and scewed interpretations of various professions as if there's truth to it.

Sorry you are apparently mad about doctors being respected, or claiming they help people when they do, don't know what to tell you. I don't think doctors claim theirs in the only profession which does so, just one of many, and its worth taking pride in.
>>
>>8017534
>>8017860
Fucking savage, man

Yeah it really is just shitty people being shitty doctors, I have a gp who really did seem like he loved being a doctor, I have to go very early because he takes his time and waiting is very long

I also have had private specialists totally disregard my existence and then send annoying texts to remind me to make another appt

I imagine there's going to be different fortitude between say a plastic surgeon and a pediatrician, but it is disheartening and frankly a bitter pill to swallow when encountering a doctor for profit
>>
>>8011114
>not being able to do minimal study and get good
Brainlet detected
>>
>>8018242
>a verb root (English teach-, Latin doc-),
>an agentive suffix (English -er, Latin -tor).
>>
File: 1444594586761.jpg (12 KB, 231x363) Image search: [Google]
1444594586761.jpg
12 KB, 231x363
>>8018840
>I don't think doctors claim theirs in the only profession which does so, just one of many, and its worth taking pride in.

OK, lets take a look at some of the other professions that help people. How often do you hear a policeman bragging about how serving society makes him God? How often do you hear about a fireman bragging about how much lives he saves and how that makes him better than everyone else in the universe? Do you ever hear a bus driver say some melodramatic shit like the fact that he has the fate of all his passengers lives on his hands because if he falls asleep at the wheel or something he kills them all potentially?

No.

You know the only profession of the bunch that help people that can't just can't shut the fuck up about helping people?

Doctors.

You know the only profession of the bunch that help people that has the largely unwarranted superiority complex and inflated ego?

Doctors.

Because if you ask a premed why he wanted to become a doctor, he'll probably reply with the fucking buzzword I WANNA HELP PEOPLE. Then ask him why didn't he or she go into charity instead, join UNICEF and feed malnourished kids across the globe or something. You don't need to be a doctor to help people...

So guess the real reason why that person wants to become a doctor. HINT: It has nothing to do with helping people. That's just something they say to cover up their true intentions.

But what's really telling is the way they say it. They say it because they want the attention and respect. Helping people gets you no respect unless you are a doctor and that's what they're really after.

Doctors are just so selfless right? Taking other people's lives above society's opinion of them. I've never met a doctor who wasn't a humble servant, who wouldn't take the wage and respect of a janitor if it meant to be able to save more people's lives!
>>
>>8019385
This is some next level anal devastation.

I'm truly sorry for your pain.
>>
>>8019414
I'm truly sorry for your retarded ass :)
>>
>>8019419
You're anger is distorting your mind.

I'm worried about you, friend, go see a doctor. :^)
>>
>>8019385
>cops
>helping people
Lol'd heartily.
>>
>>8019422
Your retardedness is distorting your mind.

I'm worried about you, friend, go to med school and open your mind :^)
>>
>>8019434
You know, to perfectly desu, I don't even disagree that many doctors don't care about helping people and are just reciting a meme.

I can't comprehend the level of autism that could compel one to care so much though. It's pretty cute. :^)
>>
>>8003840
So doctors are the fags of biology?
>>
>>8019385
>people cannot want to help people AND want money/prestige/community respect at the same time
>the only jobs you can do if you want to help are shitty charity jobs. Why bother with an education at all?
>>
>>8007850
I actually enjoy psychiatry quite a bit. It's going to be great using new modalities to investigate what's going on to produce these syndromes.
>>
Why is so many here butthurt about doctors?
>>
>>8004708
>>8018143
Oh whoops.
Well anyway the guy who looks at my eyes and tells me what my eyesight is and what glasses I need seems to have a pretty easy job.
>>
>>8004936
>First time science ever bored me and I think Lagrangian mechanics is fun.
But they are fun.
>>
>>8019441
You know, to perfectly desu, I don't even disagree that you're retarded.

I can't comprehend the level of autism that could compel one to care so much though. It's pretty cute. :^)
>>
Hey you medicine/chemistry cunts.
Atkins vs Brown, Lemay

Have to go through one of those in 2 months, choose my path.
>>
>>8020008
Atkins
>>
>>8020031
ok, thanks.
>>
>>8019385

>I've never met

muh anecdotes

You're quite right, no, you don't NEED to be a doctor to help people.

tho I don't see why you need to have a fractured ass because this the way I choose to do that. I simply find medicine and biology profoundly interesting.

People get the help they need and I get an interesting, satisfying and rewarding career.

And tbqh the money is also quite welcome, I highly value financial independence and the freedom that enables.

If you just want to do medicine for the money you're a complete fucking retard. Having purely greed as motivator is /not/ going to help you weather the demands of the career. Do you have any idea how many interns commit suicide each year?

My father is a doctor and I have met many of his colleagues who got into medicine for money and they are utterly burnt out.
>>
>>8016800

You might also not have a lot of time to figure out what the rash means either. In certain conditions rashes only appear when the person is well underway to being BTFO
>>
P R O T I P

>There can be assholes and saints in /any/ profession

I have met lazy, shitbag, powertripping cops, I have met exceedingly polite and helpful cops.

Same for plumbers, firemen, paramedics, electricians, judges, teachers etc...
>>
File: thisnigga.jpg (20 KB, 312x560) Image search: [Google]
thisnigga.jpg
20 KB, 312x560
>all med students' motivation is muh helping peepl :)

Most of those annoying cunts were weeded pretty early on, at least in my uni.

I mean, wanting to help people is nice, but if thats your only motivation you probably wont make it through all the bullshit and competition.
You have to fucking want to be a doctor, and wanting to be better than everybody else is even better.

Its the same with the people in first year/not even in med school who talk about wanting to be a neurosurgeon. Like, kys man, tell me that when you have gone through the most miserable six years of your life and you actually have a chance of making it.
>>
>>8003840
>biology isn't science

>most medicines
>theory of evolution
>agricultural advancements

>all achievements by the arts? or what?

I am not sure you are really understanding that biology is much further reaching than your handful of highschool lessons...
>>
>>8019446
Doctors more or less have nothing to really do with biology per se. You can easily get into med school without taking anything but med school pre-reqs and Classical Studies courses so I wouldn't classify them in the realm of biology in 98% of circumstances.
>>
>>8004808
underrated post
>>
>>8016800
>>8020087
That's what captcha is for
>>
>>8011482
Not him, but he's right and being a doctor is very distinct from Biology
Biology is a (softer) science with actual scientific elements, but being a doctor is almost entirely memorisation
>>
>>8008867
Spotted the doctor who's better than him at his only skill, memorisation
>>
>>8020457
>Biology is a (softer) science

Memes aside, no, it's not. If it was a "softer science" it wouldn't have achieved so much or become a pillar of modern science, unlike psychology or economics.

You've been spending too much time on /sci/.
>>
>>8020483
As in, softer than Chemistry and Physics, because it's more wishy washy and estimate-y, which is an inherent part of a science more complex than chem and Physics
>>
>>8020485
Looking at the wiki seems to support my point

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_and_soft_science
>>
>>8020485
I take my post back then, since I misinterpreted yours. Your answer is what I would expect from a non-meme spouting poster, and you actually delivered. Thin line separating memers and non-memers these days.
>>
>>8020494
>I take my post back then

Probably the same way you take back your boyfriend's semen when snowballing with him, since biologists now officially are the engineers of science

There is no line.
>>
>>8020500
>There is no line.

dubs confirm
>>
>>8020460
The study of almost everything science related comes down to memorisation.
You need to know the rules of the game to play it mate
>>
>>8020702
A lot more application in the Sciences, and more understanding required

Just rote recall for doctors
>>
>>8020729
>implying you know anything aboutthe practice of medicine
>>
>>8020702
>The study of almost everything science related comes down to memorisation.
Yes, but it doesn't feel that way.

Anatomy, for example, is pure cramming, there's no room for thinking.
>>
>>8020741
I did medicine for a year and shadowed 5 doctors for week periods, and made decisions (with supervision) and talked to patients on the 5th shadowing

Fuck you
>>
>>8020751
>I shadowed, so I'm basically a doctor with absolute familiarity of every aspect of the clinical application of medicine.
>>
>>8020759
Not absolute but I probably know a shitload more than you

I looked at 2/5ths of the whole medicine syllabus (though memorised less)

I also stayed in contact with the doctors I shadowed

Now what do you have to show you know shit about medicine?
>>
>>8020764
I'm not the standard for medical knowledge, so that's meaningless. Regardless, you do not know enough to make the assessment you wish to make.

I will say, however, basting your mother regularly taught me quite a lot.
>>
>>8020809
But you have non existent/negligible knowledge, whereas I have significant partial knowledge and the knowledge that medicine isn't significantly variable, so the type of memorisation and what I saw the doctor doing (and did a bit of myself) I had to do is applicable to the overwhelming majority of medicine

>ur mum xd
Fuck off
>>
>>8020833
You must be meming if you think you have the credentials to make a sweeping assessment of clinical practice from such limited exposure.

You must be retarded if you genuinely believe all of medicine is the regurgitation of memorized material whichout need for critical thought or in-depth assessment of specific circumstances, though specialties vary.

If you genuinely think this, you'll not make it past M2 or M3, the limit of reliance on memorization in medical education.
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 640x640
>>8020751
Jesus, i feel ashamed when i think i once was a first year medical student.

You know shit.
You are capable of doing shit.

Fuck mane I mad as fuck, are you actually that deluded? Did you learn that little in that year that you didnt grasp the magnitude of the pile of shit you need to know in order to be a doctor?
>>
>>8020745
There is always room for thinking.
The topology of many organs becomes much easier to understand if you know its surroundings.
A basic understanding of mechanics helps a lot with the muskuloeskeletal system.
The structure of many things is related to their function etc etc

I have many people fail because they tried to study anatomy like it was a telephone listing.
>>
I for one don't consider all doctors to be scientists, per se - but it's no less respectable a profession for that. Doctors are still responsible for their patients at the end of the day, and for me it's the responsibility they take on that's deserving of respect. If you're a mathematician and your paper gets rejected from a journal that might hurt your pride (maybe your career?), and that sucks. If you're a doctor and you make a mistake, someone can die. It's totally fair to take issue with cynical people in medicine who have god complexes, but surely it has to be a coping mechanism for the stress involved in the job? Not to excuse that behavior in any way, of course.

Premeds are the devil, and there's no arguing that. So are bad doctors. Good doctors, the ones who actually care, actually make the effort to improve their skills, and aren't just in it for the money, prestige, or whatever, are worth their weight in gold. They do exist.
Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.