[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>can never break the speed of light >can never visit distant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (240 KB, 1100x797) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
240 KB, 1100x797
>can never break the speed of light
>can never visit distant stars, exoplanets and galaxies
>still spend billions of dollars building telescopes and probes to take pretty pictures of places we'll never go to

What an absolute fucking waste of tax payers money. Astronomy is one giant ponzi scheme that attracts money into black hole of its own, but somehow we're all ok with that because "for science!"
>>
We have nuclear power plants because the orbit of Mercury was unexplainable with Newtonian physics.
>>
>>8000129
>muh cherry picked anecdotes
>>
I'm okay with using MY tax dollars to pay for this equipment. I'm interested in the world.
>>
>>8000135
"Worlds" you'll never go to because tbe speed of light is fixed at 300,000m/s. The nearest star is 4 light years away - or 40,000 years if you use conventional rockets to get there.

Keep smoking the Astronomy koolaid faggot
>>
>>8000121
Well, I don't like astronomy or physics in general either as I too believe that it is just a huge scam.

I mean. astronomy and physics at large have been literally meme machines for the past 2 decades. To confirm this we must only remember the fact that the thing about there being aliens in KIC-whatthefuck was actually included in the astronomers' paper, and not fabricated by the media.

The astronomers literally inserted the meme there and happily ran with it, even after being met with huge criticism because they had no fucking clue about what they were fucking talking about.

But what can we do. After all universities were originally made with the purpose of serving scholars and nowadays it is kinda the same way.

As long as there are new morons being bred into choosing physics or astronomy as their major, and paying like 10k every semester each to get their meme studies, the astronomers will have incentive and the capital to keep taking pretty pictures and fabricate new memes that they can then compile into a memebook they usually call astronomy textbooks.
>>
>>8000142
What if we got close to the speed of light? It would then take shorter time.

Also, at that point, time dilation would need to be taken into account, so it actually wouldn't seem like that long from the reference frame of the ship.

Don't dismiss it outright yet.
>>
>>8000121
Better spent than the tissues and lube you would buy for your mother's basement.
>>
>>8000153
How the fuck is physics a scam?
>>
>>8000121
>2016
>not understanding relativity
Don't do this.
>>
>>8000157
Have you got $1,000,000,000,000,000,000 to fund research into an anti matter drive?

No?

Well shut the fuck up and stay in your place (on Earth).
>>
>>8000173
Relativity has got absolute fuck all to building a spaceship that travels at light speed. Its an engineering problem.
>>
File: image.png (142 KB, 2680x1780) Image search: [Google]
image.png
142 KB, 2680x1780
>>8000167
>>
>>8000167
>LE SPOOKY QUANTUM
>LE STINKY THEORY
>LE -1/12 LOL
>HEY, VSAUCE HERE

Upon many many others.

And lets not forget, we definitely need all those yearly donations to keep LIGO going, even though we have nothing that depends on the confirmation of that theory in development.

I mean, if there was some huge engineering project that could ONLY work if gravitational waves were actually a thing then by all means, pour all the money and confirm the theory.

But as it stands, no one knows shit about fuck and they just confirmed something that was really unnecessary.

But I'm sure DNews and minutephysics made a lot of dat youtube money. It is like, everytime the popsci machine starts slowing down, out of nowhere we get a new BIG DISCOVERY TO TALK ABOUT IT.

NOTHING WEIRD THERE HAHA.
>>
>>8000174
>anti matter drive
>>
>>8000186
>the science industry makes money, so physics is a scam
>>
>>8000153
>the thing about there being aliens in KIC-whatthefuck was actually included in the astronomers' paper

False. The discovery paper did not contain any mention of aliens, that paper was completely ignored by the media.

Please don't talk shit.
>>
>>8000183
There wouldn't be so many students loans if U.S. universities didn't charge their students up the ass to build new football stadiums.
>>
>What is the nature of the universe?
>How do galaxies form?
>How did a habitable planet form and are there others like it?
>Is our place in the universe special?
>What is the fate of Earth?

Clearly none of these fundamental questions are interesting because you can't personally visit another star.
>>
>>8000295
Yes it was. Maybe it was not in the center of the paper as the main cause but they cited it as a possibility.

I can only imagine how strong they felt the jewery inside of them as they counted how much money they would make out of talks and contracts with popsci outlets.
>>
>>8000130
Your trolling is weak, work on your game bra
>>
>>8000298
That is not true, you are reversing cause and effect.

Americans are dumb enough to pay 10k per semester so universities say
>We might aswell do something with all this money literally lying around
and so come the olympic sized pools and football stadiums.

And all of this is an effect too, not the cause. This comes from the fact that american universities are now businesses and students are treated as customers.

Where does a customer go in vacation? To the nicest hotel? Where does a customer go to study? To the nicest university!

Which is the nicest hotel? The one with the best rooms and the biggerst pool, etc.

Which is the nicest university? Well, you can figure this out on your own.

But this is also an effect, not a cause.

But to make a long story short, you can trace this all back to the fact that americans are stupid.

Consider this.

americans are stupid -> americans care about stupid things -> americans want to be le cool and edgy faggots -> americans want to study where the most parties happen and where there are the biggest football stadiums and shit -> american universities need to satisfy the high demand of stupidity -> lets satisfy that stupidity demand with stupidity, and lets just charge more -> loans become popular as no middle class citizen can afford to pay for school on their own

So how do you fix the loan problem? Simply put

GIT GUD.
>>
>>8000313
No, it's not mentioned.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1509.03622
>>
>>8000323
and what the fuck does any of that have to do with physics being a scam? You completely forgot the point you were arguing for and just ended up calling americans stupid a bunch of times. I'm not even american, I only said that because your pic was for U.S. schools.
>talks about americans being edgelords
>goes on to spew the edgiest meme of all time
>>
>>8000121
>can never create a gene which gives you the sensation of free blowjobs for life
>can never create a bacteria which will solve world hunger
>can never synthesize a completely artificial bacterial genome from scratch using a computer and then insert it into a bacterial cell and watch it grow & divide (oh wait... that happened in 2008)

Why is biotechnology so useless?

>ITT: perfect world fallacy
>>
Those billions can be used for other things.

And we can go the speed of light we just have to make it seem profitable.
>>
>>8000379
Traveling at c is impossible
>>
File: WAgdgZK.png (423 KB, 610x343) Image search: [Google]
WAgdgZK.png
423 KB, 610x343
>>8000121
>What an absolute fucking waste of tax payers money.
Daily reminder that clerical errors in Medicade cost nearly THREE TIMES as much as NASA's entire budget.
>>
>>8000142
>speed of light is fixed at 300,00m/s

How are people still in this thread
>>
>>8000153
https://webcast.stsci.edu/webcast/detail.xhtml?talkid=4446&parent=1
minute 12+, not worth it?
>>
yes.. there is faster... you hear the light turn on before you see it right...?
>>
>>8000121
What if we travel at c - an infinitesimal
>>
look at the wave length of light... just go smaller right? shortest distance between two points is a straight line... there there is the whole. "bring the two points together"
>>
>>8000662

that isn't how light works
>>
Exotic matter and wormholes are probably our best option as humans. You could get there instantaneously but millions of years on earth has past
>>
>>8000669
so... then how does it work...that makes perfect sense to me. but that's just my perspective. are sound waves smaller then light..?
>>
i think this search for knowledge is good. i also think we should focus more on the here and now. and stop trying to run away. but rather work on what we have right here. instead of trying to get somewhere. lets see what we can do where we are.
>>
>>8000690
lot of roads gettin bad in america...

lot of water main bursts..
>>
You can get to a star 4,000 lightyears away quicker than 4,000 years, once you go "faster-than-light" you actually get to a star system in the future, but quicker.

You could do so by pulse nuclear propulsion, then do fly by stars for gravitational assist maneuvers whilst at high velocities, make a laser-ignition fusion ram engine with stellar wind. The farther and faster you go, the more time elapses at home.

Would be cool to venture through galactic space.
>>
>>8000680
Have you not taken physics II nigga? That's first year level shit
>>
>Dollars mean anything in the galactic schema

Let;s just leave the next generation better than what the last one was. Spend money of science and you get better food and energy production. Even when its all about looking at stars and shit.
>>
>>8000121
My understanding of relativity is that nothing prevents you from traveling to back and forth to another galaxy in a second, it's just that earth would be long gone by the time you're back.
>>
Just attach your ship to a light producing engine, then you can go at the speed of light
>>
File: 1460524928120.jpg (50 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
1460524928120.jpg
50 KB, 500x381
>>8000186
Ah. Physics is a scam, because pop science.

I guess if I promoted Math in a retarded way, you would hate Math too.
>>
>>8000121
Go complain to a politician or something. We don't make the rules.
>>
>>8000129
Frankly I have never looking into physics beyond physics 1, much less the relativity meme.

Is Fg = G((m1*m2)/R^2) obsolete?
>>
>>8000121
>can never
>can never
"never" is a long time Billy,
now go to bed
>>
>>8000773
And what would be the fucking point of that? The entire human race goes instinct in 40000 years while a few explorers age 10 years when they reach the nearest star 4 light years away using a SpaceX chemical rocket?

You space fags are really insufferable.
>>
Go back 20 years and tell to the people that your 12 y old son has a device that has a screen of glass that you tap and move ur finger on to control, is thick as a small pen and weight something like 0.30 lbs and is more powerful than all the Computers invented on the human history combined. Talk about what is unreal and not, if you had any brain and watched the evolution of science and technology and the rate it progress the last years you would realise that this shit will be fucking possible at some point. Earth is here for millions and millions of years and we started counting the years we organize shit for something like 2000 years.

Unless you are some braindead religious faggot that think GOD will save him and shit like that, you should believe in evolution of technology and not whine why the fuck u pay taxes for it.
>>
>>8001018
>Go back 20 years and tell to the people that your 12 y old son has a device that has a screen of glass that you tap and move ur finger on to control,

Touch screen technology was around since the 1970s, you underinformed dolt. It was just not realised as a consumer application until much later.

Infact its hilarious just how much of our so called "technological achievements" in the 21st century are all attributed to research done between the 1950s to 1980s.
>>
If nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, how do parts of the universe that couldn't have been reached by light yet have microwave radiation?
>>
>>8001233
So this is another one of those "I'm a neckbeard butthurt that reality doesn't match up with my pop-sci fantasies so I'll dump on all of humanity's technological achievements even though I've contributed absolutely nothing of value myself" threads?
>>
File: pope-francis.jpg (69 KB, 630x458) Image search: [Google]
pope-francis.jpg
69 KB, 630x458
>>8000121
I know right, better go to mass every day and donate my money to the greater cause of god!

- Sent by my iPhone 5 through 4G internet via Iridium satellite constellation aka things that wouldn't exist if astrophysics were just a ponzi scheme.

Consider suicide through helium inhalation, as it has been proven with science that our body reacts to helium the same way it does to oxygen, therefore it will cause you a peaceful and painless death.
>>
>>8001290
You /pol/ guys completely miss the point of the Pope's foot kissing stunt. The entire point is to show humility by doing something humiliating therefore laughing at him because what he did was humiliating is stupid. He did it with the express intention to humiliate himself in the face of God. In fact you laughing makes his gesture even stronger.
>>
>>8001333
Oh jesus christ...
> pun :D
>>
>>8001252
its generally considered as blasphemy to mention that to physicists
>>
>>8000121
http://zeekyforums.com/thread/8000121/science/what-an-absolute-fucking-waste-of-tax-payers-money.html

fucking weird mate.

I googled "We have nuclear power plants because the orbit of Mercury was unexplainable with Newtonian physics." and found this exact post and replys on another forum.

I've noticed people do this before, transferring discussions to 4chan from other forums by copy pastaing.
>>
>>8001449

they try to generate ad revenue by crawling data from popular websites and mirroring the content
>>
>>8000121
>>8000130
>>8000142
>>8000153
>>8000174
>>8000186
>>8000183

Please leave this board. Perhaps >>>/pol/ is a better place for you

>>8000649
Infinitesimals are not used anymore. I think you mean c - e, where e is arbitrarily small
>>
>>8000121
Nasa is working on a warp drive that can travel faster than light. Space itself can move faster than light, and the warp drive works by bending space-time itself in order to force the space around the spaceship to do this. The result is that the spaceshift travels at superluminal speeds while feeling no acceleration.

Alculbierre worked out how to general-relativistically engineer such a drive using negative mass, which is quantum-mechanically possible. It is via this that nasa is literally working on warp drive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
>>
>>8001550
>negative mass, which is quantum-mechanically possible.
Source?
>>
>>8001550
>negative mass
Do you mean, strange/exotic matter?
>>
"Never couldn't do anything"
>>
>>8001560
Yes. But also, something that could serve equally well -- negative pressure -- is apparently possible quantum-mechanically by the Casimere effect.

>>8001555
See the above.

I learned about it through this PBS documentary on the Alcubierre Warp Drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ed4v_T6YM
>>
>>8000869
It was never completely correct to begin with. It would only work on completely circular orbits (i.e. elliptical of 0.00) which has never been observed yet in the entire explored galaxy so far.
>>
>>8001566
*Casimir
>>
>>8001233
Where do you think a lot of the drive for those "technical achievements" you speak of came from?

What as happening in the 50's and 60's to push science and engineering into uncharted territory?

Oh right, NACA/NASA were being funded at a much higher percentage of GDP than they are now. I'm not saying it is the sole cause for the innovation that came out of those decades, but it is certainly a contributing factor.
>>
>>8001566
I don't have time to read the wiki right now but I've seen that video. Nothing in there claims that negative mass exists or is a byproduct of quantum mechanics.

>>8001568
Casimir effect is not negative mass.
>>
>>8001621
Like I said, it's negative pressure, which can apparently achieve analogous results with respect to warp drive, as stated in the video.
>>
>>8001626
But negative pressure is only observed between tiny distances. In your original post you said negative mass, and claimed it was an effect of quantum mechanics. I just want to point out to you you're incorrect and an alcubierre drive is either impossible or thousands of years away.
>>
>>8001661
Let the neckbeards dream. Meanwhile us patricians will focus on the rocket technology that will get us to Mars in our lifetime.
>>
>>8001669
Venus is a better option for colonization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5KV3rzuag

The main factor is that it has enough gravity. On Mars, human bones would corrode like they do in space.
>>
>>8000121
Obviously OP doesn't know what a ponzi scheme is
>>
>asteroid impacts
>asteroid mining
>satellites
3 good reasons for space exploration
>>
File: 1456433701246.gif (495 KB, 340x275) Image search: [Google]
1456433701246.gif
495 KB, 340x275
>You have to be there to enjoy it
>want to enjoy a movie? gotta be there, waste of money
>enjoy a youtube video? Waste of time
Etc etc
>>
>>8000121
>not understanding warp bubbles
>not understanding generation ships
>not understanding the fragility of the earth
You primitive fuck.
>>
>>8000135
Then go donate YOUR money. Instead of getting the government to steal it from other people you useless cunt.
>>
>>8000121

You are aware that "Can never break the sound barrier" was a term too.

Until we build a spacecraft, load it with fuel and just let it rip we will not know what will or will not happen.

We can sit around a throw hypotheticals around for centuries.

But lets grow some balls and just fucking do it. We will never know if we don't try.

Anything machine we have today didn't come into existience through years of circle jerking. We just did it. And then the circle jerking came to improve upon the idea.

The waste of money is because no one has balls to prove what is and what is not a waste of money.
>>
>>8001866
I respect the fuck out of your opinion
>>
>>8001732
They'd adjust to Mars gravity which is OK cause we won't be coming back to this trash heep
>>
>>8001866
THIS IS HOW PLUMBING WAS INVENTED ;)
>>
>>8000121
You'll never go into a girls vagaina, yet you look at plenty of pictures of them. What's the point?
>>
>>8001866
We have been trying to get faster than light. What do you think particle accelerators do? Why would you spend trillions (yes, trillions) of dollars on a spacecraft that tries to go FTL when we can't even get tiny bits of matter to do it. People may have said we'll never break the sound barrier but those same people had guns that broke the sound barrier with every shot.
>>
File: 1459474588786.jpg (224 KB, 708x847) Image search: [Google]
1459474588786.jpg
224 KB, 708x847
>>8000130
>>
>>8001567
Can we honestly claim to know every single force influencing even a single celestial orbit such that we can exclude the proposition of modifying circumstances?
>>
>>8000323
>And all of this is an effect too, not the cause
It goes both ways, you know.
>>
File: 1420698358378.jpg (9 KB, 348x145) Image search: [Google]
1420698358378.jpg
9 KB, 348x145
>>8001567
>he thinks Newton's theory of gravity doesn't work for elliptical orbits
YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP
>>
>>8003725
You're right, that's actually hilarious.
>>
>>8001567

Your retarded
>>
>>8000142
actually 300,000 km/s
>>
>>8000323
Except there are high barriers to entry to start your own university/school
And its almost impossible to compete with organizations getting big handouts from government or jews or w/e

But yes, its mostly just idiots being idiots and getting scammed
>>
>>8000186
Expand your sources outside common, easily accessible means
>>
>>8000121
the math and the physics are almost always 70 years ahead of the engineering, and in order to keep technology progressing, we have to keep it that way.

letting the engineers run out of theoretical tools to test/abuse means you stall. industry can't have that. its why academic physics and math autists still get funding.
>>
>>8000186
You are fucking retarded if you don't think colleges make construction plans for stupid shit and then hike tuition prices to fit the bill. This is exactly what happened at my college.

Then again, I guess based on this thread you were retarded to begin with.
>>
>>8005599
>Except there are high barriers to entry to start your own university/school

tell that to the gorillion degree mills in the US.
>>
>>8000971
>And what would be the fucking point of that? The entire human race goes instinct in 40000 years while a few explorers age 10 years when they reach the nearest star 4 light years away using a SpaceX chemical rocket?

To establish colonies that have no intention of going back.
>>
>>8000298
I go to a big SEC school and whenever we mention this we're told that some anonymous "they" said the money from sports and related merchandise actually gives more money back to the school than is put into the program.

I can believe it considering we make literally millions off just the ticket sales from a single game, but how much of that "money for the school" is going towards making me pay less, or helping me learn physics? My guess is not enough.

also
>>8000323 is correct too in that pampered faggots do choose to pay too much to go to this school because "I've always been a fan". I'm not an anti-sports edge-lord, but this infuriates me.
>>
>>8000121
We all gotta waste our time on earth doing something.
>>
>>8000153
>physics is a scam
>the absolute, fundamental basis of all natural sciences is a scam

in that case, you ought to be heading on your way

>>>/pol/
>>>/x/
>>
OP gtfo this board
>>
>>8001333
>The entire point is to show humility

what about showing submission to our overlords and their Kalergi Plan?
>>
>>8007697
They told me to come here so I would learn a thing or two :(
>>
OP may have a point here, matter can only be in one place at a time. If you tried to push it faster than light, it might arrive at some point before it left it's current position. THOU SHALL NOT CREATE MATTER
>>
You can with a dimensional shift
>>
>>8000121
>can never actually wander lonely as a cloud
>can never visit heaven, ancient Greece, or abstract dreamscapes
>still spend billions of dollars funding artists and poets to make pretty pictures of places we'll never go to
>>
You can create matter with a fea array
>>
>>8000121
does /sci/ even care about science? sounds like you all take space to be some sort of holiday camp that you desperately want to go to.
>>
>>8000142
300,000m/s is 18,000km/h. Space shuttles do 10,000km/h more than that. At least learn how fast light travels telling others to keep smoking,
>>
I'm pretty sure if we had a WW3 between the main super powers, without he use of nuclear weapons IE WWW style like war now, the technological advancements wouldn't even be comprehend able
>>
>>8001536
>Infinitesimals are not used anymore
Says who? What are differentials (yes, the "d<var_letter_here>" in Leibniz derivative/integral notation)? What is non-standard analysis? What are surreals and hyperreals?
>>
>>8001550
>Space itself can move faster than light

What does space move within? Some meta-space which cannot be detected?
>>
>>8009218
not him, but I think he's referring to the empty space that attracts space to expand. The expansion of space itself is indeed faster than c.
>>
>>8009654
No. The statement assumes no dark energy. It's just a fact of general relativity. Due to the expansion of space, distant galaxies are currently moving away from us faster than the speed of light, and in the distant future we will no longer be able to see them. In fact, in 100 billion years, we will not be able to see a single galaxy outside of our own.
>>
>>8009732
>In 100 billion years, we will not be able to see a single galaxy outside of our own.

It is noteworthy that we are extremely fortunate to have evolved in the relatively early universe. Star formation, and thus the potential for the evolution of intelligent life, will continue for at least a trillion years (possibly as long as 100 trillion), but almost none of those potential future civilizations will be able to see a single other galaxy, and would have an extremely hard time deducing the existence of the big bang, let alone the age of the universe.
>>
>>8009732
Does this mean that if you were looking up at a night sky a few billion years ago, it would've been noticeably more full than what we see now?
>>
>>8008971
Everyone here is just mad because they're never leaving the atmosphere
>>
>>8009751
One can see a few galaxies with the naked eye, but almost all of the dots of light in the sky are from stars within our own galaxy, so no.
>>
File: figure9a.jpg (87 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
figure9a.jpg
87 KB, 600x600
>>8009749
> Star formation, and thus the potential for the evolution of intelligent life, will continue for at least a trillion years (possibly as long as 100 trillion)

Star formation however is in decline. It may continue at some small level but the number of new stars with time will likely continue decreasing.
>>
>>8009761
I wonder if by the point that star formation has long since ceased and most stars are dead or dying if there will be any intelligent species that has advanced past dependency on stars. That's so ridiculously far out in the future that it's not the least bit relevant to humans but it's interesting to think about.
>>
>>8009761
That's true; however, I also heard in a documentary that our planet is among the first 8% of planets that have or will form within the habitable zone of a star. This was actually offered as a potential resolution to the Fermi paradox: we're early, among the first intelligent species to evolve in our galaxy.
>>
>>8009758
kek. dumb nigs need to quit science and do business, make money to pay your way into space
>>
>>8000121
I posted a thread on a realistic way to make an interstellar craft with existing tech and it was ignored. i try to help you guys and you throw it back in my face.
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.