[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>analytical chemist job opening >$12-14/hour >requires
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 18
File: al-bundy.jpg (95 KB, 1019x768) Image search: [Google]
al-bundy.jpg
95 KB, 1019x768
>analytical chemist job opening
>$12-14/hour
>requires at least TWO years experience

Jesus fucking Christ. There are entry-level sales associates making more money without commissions.
>>
>>7997300
Tell me about it, I did chem eng and its been impossible to get a decent job. Honestly the only """ job""" I've found so far is what is effectively an internship. I'm a graduate with a 3.7 GPA and I've already got experience, is it just the job market right now that's not looking for chemE?
>>
>>7997300
LOL

meanwhile, as a software developer, I will make at least $50k a year out of school.
>>
>>7997300
College is a scam bro.

You can get an entry level job working at the docks for like $20/hr, no experience needed just have to have at least a GED.
>>
>>7997300
Hey, you don't have it as bad as biologists. Some months ago there was a post just like yours, instead that the guy posted the entire list of requirements AND responsibilities, and they were a fuckton. All for 10$ hour. Had to do with animals and shit, idk. Biologists are starving man.

But what did you expect anyways? Chemistry is the second meme science right after biology.

At my university it kinda looks like this:
200 biology majors
50 Chemistry majors
30 Physics majors
15 Mathematics majors
>>
Is chemical engineering worth going into right now?
>>
You make better pay at Trader Joe's. The real reason is gramps is still holding onto his job even though his skills are outdated. If he doesn't leave, nobody gets to move up. Entry-level with mandatory experience is bullshit.
>>
>>7997321

Was your experience in a petrochem facility? That is a must. Also, consider moving to a different part of the country. Must grads think they can be near where they live. Most of the good jobs are on the gulf coast or in remote areas. Start in the crappy areas and work your way into the good locations.
>>
>>7997399
I has doing some job research today and ChemE has a very low growth rate at the moment. The median pay is nearly $70k, but the jobs available are only expected to grow by 4-6% annually. However, jobs related to ChemE are growing much faster. Look into petro engineering, biochem engineering, biomed engineering, and power cell engineering.
>>
>>7997300
Should've read this:

http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/bachelors?page=22

Anything in the top 50 is acceptable and a good idea.

Chemistry is not even in the top 100.

Get ready to live under a bridge.
>>
>>7997453
>Early career pay: $45,300
>Mid career pay: $81,400

There's nothing wrong with this.

OP's job opening, if you assume 50 weeks of full time work, is $24,000 to $28,000, which is significantly lower than on your list.
>>
>>7997523
>Hey, I am a payscale statistician. What is your major?
C-chemistry...
>Great, how many years of experience do you have?
O-one
>Great, so early career. And finally, how much do you earn
Eh... eh... 10k... I-I mean 45k! It would be dumb if I had spent 4 years of my life killing myself with molecule diagrams and reaction mechanisms to then only earn 10k LOL. I was just messing with you. W-write down 45k please.
>Thank you sir, have a nice day.
>>
>>7997529
Heh. This global economy is great!

Probably the worst time to be alive in the first world with a race to the bottom going on.
>>
>>7997453
Why is nursing so low? Don't nurses usually make, 6 figures starting?
>>
File: hope.jpg (36 KB, 500x368) Image search: [Google]
hope.jpg
36 KB, 500x368
>>7997300
Hope Globalization is destroying all first, second, third worlds and soon will be only one world. There is no reason why at one place someone gain $12 and at second place $5 for equal work.
>>
kek, I make more at fucking gamestop
>>
>>7997694
No, doctors do.
>>
File: derplo_01ur892.png (18 KB, 600x441) Image search: [Google]
derplo_01ur892.png
18 KB, 600x441
>>7997300
I have a buddy who went through marines, then got a masters in chem... the typical starting job was a lab tech. that was all he could get anywhere (in midwest USA)
he said that all he did was reading step-by-step tests from a manual while doing them. the pay was good but the actual work was boring as fuck. a high school kid with a bit of chem terminology could do it easily.
after about five months he asked how long he would be doing this until he could move into something more interesting, they said at least 3-4 years.
he said "thanks, buh-by" and became a cop instead (he was a MP in the marines and liked doing that way better)

>>7997335
>meanwhile, as a software developer, I will make at least $50k a year out of school.
good luck, bra
>>
File: 1457400278031.jpg (32 KB, 360x345) Image search: [Google]
1457400278031.jpg
32 KB, 360x345
>>7997300
>get a 2.6
>get a bs in bio
>get a job like two weeks out of school as a regulatory associate
>pays 15 an hour and get bump in pay every three months
>tfw competent enough to fool anyone in a job interview into give me a job
>>
File: homepage-bg-clock-2.jpg (296 KB, 1538x838) Image search: [Google]
homepage-bg-clock-2.jpg
296 KB, 1538x838
You deserve it, you stupid faggot, for not being a good capitalist.
>>
>>7997825
>2.6

i guess you earned that 15 dollars an hour
>>
>>7997825
>2.6
Sorry for your diagnosis, when did it occur that you were retarded?
>>
>>7997453
tfw my major is 28.
guess all hope isnt lost
>>
>>7997832
>>7997834
At least I have a job faggot. Go ahead and jerk off to new series of prime numbers you found out while living in a cardboard box.
>>
File: NCZiK.jpg (45 KB, 453x604) Image search: [Google]
NCZiK.jpg
45 KB, 453x604
>>7997854
>>
>>7997300
Analytically chemistry is a shit field. It's no surprise. Seriously most of your pubs are just focused on keeping the field alive rather than discovering new stuff.
>>
>>7997335
>I will
But you have not, therefore you have no audacity.
>>
>>7997859
Excellent reply friend.
>>
File: IVCGfAj.jpg (34 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
IVCGfAj.jpg
34 KB, 600x800
>>7997870
>>
>>7997877
wonderful post pal
>>
>>7997453
>tfw Actuary master race
>>
>>7997300
>go to school for chemistry for 4 years
>can't scrape together 2 years of chemistry experience out of that

what did you even do?
>>
>>7997968
>he thinks this is about the experience
>not the fact that 4 years of chemistry + 2 years of experience is worth $12/hr
>>
>>7997300

I feel your pain. I'm in a PhD program for chem because I couldn't get a job without moving with just a BS for the same reason.
>>
>>7997300
>tfw just got offer for 40k job when graduating with a b.a. in chemistry with a 2.0

Being attractive and charismatic sure is great
>>
>>7998756

You really need to consider moving to less than desirerable locations for a job when you start out. With a phd, you'll be even more limited in your choices.
>>
>>7998756
You did a dumb thing.
>>
there any way to just be an engineering jack of all trades?
>>
>>7998898
Mech engineering, but if you don't have an actual passion just shoot for petroleum engineering
>>
>>7997854
>i work at mcdonalds
>at least i have the job xDDD boy i sure showed him!

the funny thing is i actually know people who make 15 an hour at mcdonalds
>>
>>7997356
At my school
1500 bio
300 Physics
100 biochem
30 chem
15 math

Chem is hardly a meme
>>
>>7998898
Mech E or Civil. they are the oldest disciplines and the most entrenched in society.

>>7999112

>just shoot for petroleum engineering
not with oil at 40$ a barrel. the petrol niggas at my school have a 7% placement rate in their field right now. shits locked up.
>>
>>7997854
lel i made 28$/hr plus company car and living stipend on my summer internship. they want me to come back this summer and are offering 35$.
>>
>>7999128
what school?
>>
File: UniversitLogotif.gif (10 KB, 305x308) Image search: [Google]
UniversitLogotif.gif
10 KB, 305x308
>>7999140
>>
>BS in chem from a pretty high ranking university
>praying I get an interview for a job that's a 2 hour commute
>probably will pay less per hour on average than current job, which is delivering pizza on the college campus.
>three months left before I have to start paying back loans

I won't kill myself because that's far too boring, but I'm strongly considering packing my shit up and driving south until I die, run out of money, or hit the ocean that separates chile and antarctica.
>>
>>7999159
school?
>>
>>7999159
do a stint in the military as a clerk or something. they'll pay off all your loans, and you'll be a shoe in for some cushy federal job once your done.
>>
>>7997453
>tfw major is 3: actuarial maths
I can breathe again
>>
>>7997321
>is it just the job market right now that's not looking for chemE?
Not now and not in the forseeable future (not even if petro picks up again). The truth is the market has always been oversaturated as a recent study has shown, there's been a lot of lies and bullshit about ChemE as a profession especially in the last few years propogated by organisations like IChemE (who used our membership money to destroy the profession by getting more people into it/imported; they are either the most incompetant retards on the planet or they have an agenda).

I'd recommend going finance or business consulting, even IT/CS if you can get your certs. Just leave engineering and science in general, it's not going to be unfucked as a profession in our life times.

I also graduated with 2 good internships (one at a national lab) and a 3.6GPA. Couldn't find a job and I stupidly did grad-school instead of finding work in other areas.
>>
>>7997694
Why the fuck do people unironically believe that? It's was only a very small subset of nurses who did a postgrad in anesthesiology and that ride is over now anyway (it's regulated so only full MDs can do it now).

Nurses are paid extremely shit with regards to pay/hours.
>>
>>7997694
Not unless they work more hours than a investment banker, and even then that would require a few years under their belt. They also hit the ceiling pretty hard too only after a few years. You need to get a NP or similar designation.
>>7997813
Maybe after residency.
>>
>>7999182
>IT/CS

fuck that, I'm already balls deep in my major.

I'll just become a CLS

how many stem majors end up killing themselves after college? Everyone seems really really really depressed
>>
>>7997300
kek I get paid 15 an hour to shitpost of 4chan
>>
>>7999204
>I'm already balls deep in my major.
I had the same sentiment. But the market is dead, don't make the same mistakes I did, I'm a prize winning research and I can't get a job, you don't know just how bad it is.

>how many stem majors end up killing themselves after college? Everyone seems really really really depressed
Our generation got fucked basically.

In the past if you couldn't get a professional/academic job it was at least possible to start a small business or something. In fact engineers started small companies straight after graduation which lead to more job creation, that's why they are shilled as being so vital to the economy in the first place.

Today the market crushes your startup like a shitty piece of polystyrene, getting loans is impossible and the venture capital is locked up with old people who are too smart to take risks, especially if they can invest in the established market.

>tl;dr: There's too many fucking boomers hence no jobs.
>>
>>7999182
>they are either the most incompetant retards on the planet or they have an agenda
Their agenda is, that industry can cherrypick the best graduates for an extremely low amount of money.
>>
>>7999196
Medicine in general is shit work and the pay is much lower than you expect...but at least they have a fucking job market to begin with...
>>
>>7999225
there are plenty of "jobs" m8. they are all just soul crushing cubicle gigs.

anybody with an engineering degree can get a job as a CAD monkey or "cost analyst". its getting the good job thats hard nowadays.
>>
>>7999225

Damn man. Life sucks, the job part at least. Truth be told I wanted to be an artist before college but decided to go to college since making a living as an artist is incredibly hard, a few later I come to find out it is just as hard to become a chemist as an artist!

I geuss I can become a chemistry teacher at least.
I LOATHE IT and CS.

Best of luck to you m8
>>
>>7999234
>there are plenty of "jobs" m8
Yeah..."jobs"...I've gotten plenty of """offers""" that wouldn't cover my fuel costs just to commute in. The worst part is some of my graduating class is retarded enough to take these jobs which just fucks up our market even more. They live with their parents and earn less than my stipend and it's all justified as gaining "experience" which is such obvious fucking bullshit given the work is less complicated than undergrad.

I've have some people in my network from one of the big consulting firms show some interest so I'm pursuing that and giving up on tech entirely. People who are still working in engineering are fucking retarded, the salaries aren't going to pick up with experience if everyone hangs on and the market stays saturated like this.
>>
>>7997300
>be math major
>really lazy since high school, 2.7 GPA
>got 60K starting offer this summer after graduation

Feels good to win
>>
>>7997338
isn't that type of labor heavily unionized and inherently nepotistic?
>>
>>7999237
I don't complain, food costs are super low, we have internet and health care is decent if you can afford it. Hell even on my shitty stipend I'm living better than my parents did my age earning full time salaries.

Life isn't that bad for us, just the job market, it's probably even less shitty if you can get a gf.
>>
>>7999246
yeah thats the point. Union is fucking nuts. when you compare engineering to trades on a per hour basis, Union labor BTFO's engineer salary just on overtime alone.

you go to college to not be a pleb, not to get a job.
>>
Graduated as a Mining Engineer (with a glorious 3.0 GPA) in a market where there were no mining jobs.

I did manage to find a job as a mill operator up north for ~$30/hr, but I lost that job when the mine shut down. I moved on to doing feasibility studies for mines in Ireland for a little while, but the pay there wasn't great (~$15/hr) so I moved on to a civil engineering job - did a lot of data analysis, beam sizing, and other basic engineering stuff for ~$24/hr there. 8 months into that job I realized that I could make a career in civil but didn't want to, so I found a job as a metallurgical EIT working next to a new makerspace. I'll be starting that job in a week and a half and should be making ~$55,000 per year. I think I'll stick with this one for a while. Not a fantastic pay rate for somebody who has been graduated for 1.5 years, but pretty reasonable.

What I'm getting at is it shouldn't be too hard for you guys to find work. Any of you would have had a better chance than me to get my current job as a metallurgist - I'll be working with zone refining systems and doing some metal crystal growing, work far more related to chemistry than to mining. What are you guys doing wrong? Are you not networking hard enough or applying to enough jobs?
>>
>>7997335
>at least $50k a year out of school.

Isn't that a pretty shitty wage in the US? I mean turning that to euros 1-1, is still below average wage for above-analyst level coders in EU. NVM that you yanks have higher wages, lower taxes, and weaker currency in general.

You should be making like twice as much AFAIK. Unless you're talking in terms of internship salaries.
>>
>>7999252
I mean good luck getting a job if you aren't the chief union guys boss
>>
>>7999256
50k a year is either great in the US, or it is terrible.
It depends on what part of the country. If you are in silicon valley making that much you probably live in a dumpster. If you are in the midwest you are making a very comfortable living.
>>
>>7999253
Dudewat, metallurgical engineering is literally a synonym for mining engineering in my home language, the programmes are very similar.
>>
>>7999257
yeah, getting in is the hardest part, but its still easier than STEM right now.

i was a union electrician before i went back to school, and i took a hefty pay cut doing so. but at least i get to poop in a real toilet and i don't freeze my dick off walking around some industrial plant at 2 am.
>>
File: 1428716566990.jpg (52 KB, 600x334) Image search: [Google]
1428716566990.jpg
52 KB, 600x334
>tfw Forensic Science major
Am I fucked?
>>
>>7999273
if you're good at it, i doubt it

people are always committing crimes and not many people are lining up to study forensic science. seems like a cool major
>>
>>7999264
Mining and metallurgy are absolutely related. A lot of mining knowledge will be useful for metallurgists, and vice-versa holds true as well.

However, this really isn't the case for the work I'm doing now.

As a mining engineer I learned:

>how to cost-effectively and safely remove rocks from the earth
>how to grind and crush rocks until the minerals of interest are liberated from the gangue material
>how to separate the minerals of interest out such that I end up with the highest grade and recovery possible
>how to manage all of these systems effectively, producing as many tonnes of material as possible for the lowest possible cost without losing social license

As a metallurgist I will be:

>Taking a metal that is 99.99999% pure
>Producing a metal that is 99.9999999%-99.999999999% pure
>managing this system such that I can produce as many grams of material as possible for the lowest possible cost, without introducing deleterious contaminants

There's some cross-over but it's pretty minimal.
>>
>>7999288
Eh, whatever, you know the ironic thing is as a ChemE I actually did some reactor control optimization work for a mining company in my final year of undergrad. Took their piece of shit refining reactor designs that they were so embarrassed about not being able to figure out for the last 4 decades and I solved the physical chemistry and control model, ended up saving them millions on both duties and reactans and getting a purer product.

Of course, being an undergrad I got "credits" and "experience" and the fuckers didn't even extend me so much as an internship offer. All I got was a shitton of NDAs I was forced to sign while they patented my work.

Jokes on them though, faggots went bankrupt before I did.
>>
>tfw get paid $15.50 an hour to shitpost on reddit at my office job as an advisor at a college
>only have a shitty associates in arts degree
>from the same college I work at

I wish I could use 4chan at work
>>
As much as I hate to say it, the classic 4 year program is pretty much dead.
Sure you'll get the one guy that has a connection get a good job, and the guy with a perfect GPA, but there simply aren't enough applicable jobs available.

IMO specialize as much as possible and move away from the popular degrees
>>
>>7999162
UIUC
>>
>4 year Biology undergrad
>40k debt
>0 jobs
>Going back to college to become MLT

Just fuck my finances up senpai
>>
>>7999305
Did you get no credit for your work?

Improving system efficiency like that and having a measurable effect on the company's bottom line is incredible. The people you worked with should have recognized your value - have you kept in touch with any of them? They might know of some opportunities for you. At the very least having something like that on your resume should make you an obvious hire/give you a great anecdote for an interview.

What mining company were you working for, one of the bigger ones? What do you mean by reactor, some kind of gold leaching operation?
>>
>do military for 5 years
>get out
>get engineering degree
>get plenty of good offers from companies doing interesting stuff
>however, i can roll my military time towards a federal job retirement

i did the math, and i would have to make 150k$ a year starting to offset the financial benefit of retiring in 15 years from a federal gig, and thats not going to happen for a Mech E.

don't know what i should do desu.
>>
>>7999338
Part time both? Is that even possible?

I wish there were more part-time professional jobs. Working 20 hours a week is awesome even if I'm broke as shit. Seems like there's quickly be 2x as many jobs available if they split the work between two part-timers, too.
>>
File: (IT'S X 2) DIE.png (129 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
(IT'S X 2) DIE.png
129 KB, 500x375
>>7999283
>tfw almost done with 2nd year of uni
>tfw enjoy analytical chem lab
>tfw all my other teachers look at me like I'm insane when I tell them this
>tfw analytical prof is based as fuck
>tfw he also uses 4chan
>tfw when I tell him I enjoy smelling 18 M concentrated ammonia he says "Great! You're on your way."
>tfw he makes fun of bio majors and their lack of mathematics
Life is pretty OK, right now.

>people are always committing crimes and not many people are lining up to study forensic science
I guess that's one reason I might be safe, if not as worse off as people in other fields might be.

I feel for people here, man. Seems like everybody's field is more interesting than mine, but they get fucked hard by the current system, so they can't make money and have fun doing what they want at the same time.
I should lurk on /sci/ more often. Only other threads I even go on are /vg/, /x/, /an/, /wg/, and /p/
>>
>>7999355
>Part time both? Is that even possible?
nope.
>>
>>7999323
I can't even put any details on my CV due to the NDA, I only have my adviser as a reference too and the title of the project (a part of which actually needs to be censored), the company engineers were pretty impressed, but obviously egotistical they just took my work and didn't want to have too much to do with me. Didn't even get the name of my direct contact.

I don't really care that much I've done more impressive projects in the meantime, worked for a biotech company and did some great work on another reactor that's been an open problem since the 60s. I didn't get to see it through, but this company was less full of shit and I have good references from them. They offered me a job at their research lab unfortunately it was a """job""" (cf. >>7999240).

Before you criticize me for not taking it anyway; I literally couldn't afford it, I worked it out and I would've had to burrowed money just to not starve.

>What mining company were you working for, one of the bigger ones?
Yes. I can't/don't want to say which, let's just say international.

>What do you mean by reactor, some kind of gold leaching operation?
Refining by chemical dissolution of a fairly valuable metal from its ore, can't go into details which, basically they were throwing half the product away into efluent while spamming unnecessary reactants because no one really understood the process.
>>
>>7999374
That NDA sounds like horseshit. I've had to deal with a couple, but I've always been able to utilize the experience I got to further myself. Sounds like you couldn't even really work with the company engineers. Good on you for finding other, more interesting, projects in the mean time.

I had an opportunity to work under the guy who developed bio-leaching a year or so ago but missed out on it because I procrastinated too much.
>>
Chem E here. Just landed summer research with stipend from professor (just barely covers housing and good expenses). The key to STEM is you can't go in just for the money, you have to go in to enjoy the work.
>>
>>7997300
The up side is that you don't have to work in sales.
>>
>>7997356
My best friend graduated with a Bio degree. Got a job making $12 an hour at a waste treatment plant. He got his commercial drivers license and drives trucks for that company now making $20/hr.
>>
Problem with analytical chemistry is it developed itself out of the field. Modern instruments are so robust and dummy-proof that you can have biology interns do all the analytical chemistry your company needs.
>>
File: Sides = Shot.png (412 KB, 580x658) Image search: [Google]
Sides = Shot.png
412 KB, 580x658
>>7999486
>trusting biology interns to do analytical chemistry
Anon please. I shouldn't be laughing so hard in a library, barely managed to hold it in.
>>
File: 1364181664622.gif (903 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1364181664622.gif
903 KB, 300x200
>>7999117
this
i think the ratio of chem/biochem/chem at my school is 1600/50/10

what's even more strange about this whole situation with lack of jobs in chemistry is people will tell you there are no jobs anywhere, yet if you ask r/chemistry or any other source, they will attest to taking these shit tier jobs (~$35K starting) and reaching 70 - 80k in less than 5 years. that's not bad at all, just a difference in where you'll be starting relative to other majors.

I'm currently starting a PhD in organometallics. I'm not sure if I want to go into materials, catalysis, or energy (battery applications). Whatever the case, I hope i can find something when I finish. There's an absolutely atrocious market for organic chemists so i just avoided that altogether.
>>
These threads sure do know how to make me start thinking about regretting my life decisions. I still don't even know what I want to get into and I'm paying for the college meme already. People keep telling me that everyone switches their careers all the time but I don't want to be stuck paying for this shit when I don't even know where to go with it.
I'm just going for a general biology degree right now. Any advice?
>>
>>7999739
Do engineering. Just save yourself and do some kind of engineering.
>>
File: what the fuck chappelle.jpg (16 KB, 427x320) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck chappelle.jpg
16 KB, 427x320
>implying biology is a "meme science"

Protip: More than half those bio students want to get into medicine or some medical field.

All my 3rd and 4th year plant biology courses had under 20 students, and my 4th year plant stress course had around 10.

Meanwhile, my 3rd year neuroscience course had almost 150 students. My 4th year animal physiology course easily had over 50. I'd heard the human physiology classes were always packed.
>>
>>7999338
Take the federal job.
>But what about interesting stu-
Take the federal job. I am 80 % sure whatever you think you will be doing will be much less interesting than you imagine and you will hit a glass ceiling.
>>
I'm currently a sophomore in pre-med, but this semester is quickly proving to me that I won't make the grades for med school. I'm thinking I want to switch to a chemical engineer or astronomy or astrophysics major.

To be honest, I only reason why I chose pre-med was because I fell for the bigbucks meme. I just want to enjoy the work with a comfy pay.

Should I switch my major?
>>
>>7997300
>sales jobs
>be woman, be a qt (or fat actually) wear a shit ton of makeup
>grin constantly and yell at people
>make big bucks

welcome to america m8
>>
>>8000645
Yes.
>>
>>8000645
The hours you work will be insane and will ruin your life. People will tell you that's OK because you're pursuit is noble and god's work, it's not.

Fuck that shit, become a pharmacist. Chill at Walgreens and find out who has STDs in your town.
>>
>>8000659
Thought about pharmacy before, my area is flooded with them though and I can't afford going out of state. But finding out who has STDs would be fun.

>People will tell you that's OK because you're pursuit is noble and god's work

Kek, my dad said it would be noble. I kind of believed him because I was younger and stupid.

>>8000655
Looks like it's time to take the SAT again so I can get a better school.
>>
>>8000659
This.

I remember when I was premed. It wasn't till my dad died in the hospital that I actually got a look at what a shitty day at work looks like for doctors. Coming in on Christmas Day, watching people die under their watch...it doesn't justify any fat paycheck. Sorry to hit you with heavy shit, but most people these days who go to med school are after money/glory/or both. Sooner you figure that out, the happier you'll be.
>>
>>7999860
It's been a similar experience here. I'm a bio major in my 4th year, most of the people in my classes seem to be premed/nursing or didn't cut it for the nursing program and are doing it anyway. Very few seem to have an actual interest in a lot of the topics.

I am looking at concentrating on plants, though I honestly have no idea what I'll be able/want to do job wise. I still have a year left of school to figure that out though I guess.
>>
>>7999243
I'm a math major as well and would like to hear how you did this. What field were your internships in (if you had them) and what field is your job in?
>>
just be white and teach English in Asia. housing provided and above average salary in most countries
>>
>>7999159
Lol what the fuck is wrong with you people. I went to a tech school for regards and hicks who wanna learn how to work on their trucks better and I'm in a retarded building automation systems major that's netted me a $14/hr internship in Denver with my housing 100% paid for. I'm only in my second year of school. I don't know how you guys have all of this advanced learning and still can't net a reasonable job.

>Tech school
>
>>
File: fuck no sound.webm (130 KB, 452x404) Image search: [Google]
fuck no sound.webm
130 KB, 452x404
>study biology
>want to be a plant breeder/geneticist
>all decent jobs require M.Sc. or better
>literally shitty jobs like OP's for B.Sc. graduates or even worse... working farm equipment and doing manual labour which shouldn't even require a degree but somehow they require it

Fuck it, I'm going to teach biology or chemistry in China at an international school.
>>
File: 1439147937562.jpg (3 KB, 103x125) Image search: [Google]
1439147937562.jpg
3 KB, 103x125
>>7997300
Damn. Glad I have mechanical engineering on the side

>mfw about to work as a chemical engineer with an ME degree

Eat it, ChemE nerds
>>
>>7997300
>>7997321
>>7997822
This is why I ultimately decided to go with Computer Engineering because atleast I enjoy it and it has better job prospects. But chemistry will always be my first love :'(
>>
>>7999191
What are you talking about? My dads an RN without a bachelors and he makes 100,000 a year. Granted that's above the average but still, nurses can make good money.
>>
>>7999253
For the most part, the jobs don't exist. I'm close to getting one due to knowing literally everyone that is in upper management in a plant, which is the only way I'm even getting considered.
>>
File: wordsgohere.png (205 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
wordsgohere.png
205 KB, 500x280
>>7997453
>TFW Major is 154
>>
Honestly, I've ranted about this on /sci/ multiple times before

There's going to be a decline of employment in america. it may not even be a crash, more like a slow death, but it will be noticeable. We went through the era of business majors getting rich quick, we went through the era of law, the era of stem, the era of PhD wealthy...

We are currently in the era of students frantically banging on the doors of med schools to let them in so they can make good money and have good job prospects.

Engineering is next. A lot of you even say it is beginning already. ChemE from what I hear is going down the toilet.

Problems are:
-Too many people going to college
-Students flooding areas with the promise of success
-over saturating those fields in the process

people will wise up eventually and realize that incurring all this debt for shitty job prospects isnt worth it. that's when trade jobs will become the next big thing again.

Then the process will repeat.
>>
>>7997300
Hahahahaha, you'll just spend your first five years washing labware too.
>>
>>8002155
Don't forget the H1B workers, they are imported specifically to depress the labor market.
>>
>>8002155
By the time they try to go back, the trade jobs won't exist.

America will live off of everyone bringing each other coffee.
>>
File: 1450919674721.jpg (33 KB, 512x323) Image search: [Google]
1450919674721.jpg
33 KB, 512x323
>>7997300
If you can't say on your Interview that you want to get those two years in theri company you are not worthy of this job.

Pathetic idiot.
>>
Going into graphic design right now. I'm going to be poor. Should I just switch to physics like I want to?
>>
>yfw my job at the local furniture store started me $13 an hour
Chemfags getting cucked on
>>
>>7997335
>50k annually
Meanwhile in EU 2 of my friends, both graduated in Copenhagen, got Masters and I'm guessing for the same job you said you will get 50k USD one of them is earning 61k euro and the other 55k. Also none of them had prior experience and both of them got their jobs under 5 months of graduating. (one of them only has bachelors btw)
>>
>>8002463
>one of them only has bachelors btw
>both graduated
>got Masters
Care to clarify?
>>
>>7999182
Why is grad school stupid?
>>
>>7999213
Die shill scum.
>>
>>8002515
I assume you dont understand because amerifags use "graduate" for anything after a bachelor's, which is completely retarded.
>>
>>7999237
Shit man, you are me but older. And i was just about to apply for chemical engineer major, hopefully focused on biomedical area, be2cause it seems that the shitty state uni im going after doesn't offer biomedical engineering degree.

I hate circuits so no EE although i thought it may be useful to pick up some coding so maybe I'll choose computer science

Al in all i feel it's devastating even to find a major that i'll not killmyself over. I just want something bearable and capable of get me job
>>
>>7999252
>>7997338
>Be in 20's
>Get a union job
>better pay then 90% of college grads
>crazy benefits
>zero debt
>living the life
>fast forward a decade
>you've blown out your knees, back, and hips multiple times
>you've been replaced by a robot
>no marketable skills and no education
>Social security ran out
>you die homeless

but at least you didn't fall for the STEM meme right guys?

Seriously though, the chem E guys have it pretty bad but i'm tired of people pretending doing manual labor your e
>>
File: bluecollar.png (191 KB, 1387x890) Image search: [Google]
bluecollar.png
191 KB, 1387x890
>>8002667
ntire life is a worthy option. not sure why my post got cut off
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.