[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There is one and only one reason we should be hyped for graphene.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: geodesic_sphere_6'.jpg (662 KB, 600x510) Image search: [Google]
geodesic_sphere_6'.jpg
662 KB, 600x510
There is one and only one reason we should be hyped for graphene. That is the production of macroscale buckminsterfullerenes.

Just imagine a buckminsterfullerene so big you could hold it in your hands
>>
>>7995042
BAZOOPLES
>>
>>7995042
okay what is with all these graphene threads
are we being raided by a shill company or something
>>
>>7995042
Does such a thing have any purpose besides a neat desk ornament?

Why is this the only thing we should be hyped about?
>>
>>7995052
some faggot's butthurt about graphene and elon musk or something
>>7995063
who knows? Maybe you could make a really light balloon from it? Provided you can make it near atomically perfect, it could probably store hydrogen gas for a very long time. Just imagine a balloon that almost never stops floating. Graphene has been should be highly impermeable to hydrogen.

>>Why is this the only thing we should be hyped about?
because transition metal dichalcogenides BTFO of graphene on the electronics front, and graphene has shit structural properties
>>
>>7995616
TMD bandgaps are too large to be practical for many applications and suffer from pretty awful mobility in practice.
>>
>>7995042
How exactly is graphene going to help us do this that when for some reason we couldn't use another material before?
>>
what do you mean by macroscale buckminsterfullerene? Do you literally mean a single molecular structure large enough to be played around with in your hands? Or do you mean like producing a fuckload of buckminsterfullerene enough to have like a jar of them. Because I can't really see how graphene plays any role in somehow making a C60 molecule the size of your hand.
>>
>>7995957
Clearly you've never held a buckminsterfullerene so big you could hold it in your hands.
>>
File: NANOWELD1239.gif (93 KB, 466x449) Image search: [Google]
NANOWELD1239.gif
93 KB, 466x449
>>7995985
A single buckyball big enough to hold. It ain't gonna be C60 that's for sure.

>>7995957
Provided we can make large continous sheets of graphene, we can probably make spheres too. Alternatively, it is known that carbon nanotubes can be 'welded' together using electron beams. Presumably we might be able to do this with large sheets of graphene too. Pic related
>>
>>7996020
DUDE WELD LMAO
>>
>>7996020
>A single buckyball big enough to hold. It ain't gonna be C60 that's for sure.
Oh. I was under the impression that buckminsterfullerene was by definition C60:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminsterfullerene
What it sounds like to me is you're just describing a sheet of graphene that is shaped into into a sphere. And it seems to me that such a thing could be easily crumpled by human hands.
>>
>>7995042
>so big you could hold it in your hands
1) You can hold a normal one in your hands, you fucking mong.
2) If you meant "so big it was on the same size scale as your hands", then hate to burst your bubble, but it would collapse immediately into a crumpled film of carbon so small you wouldn't be able to see or even feel it.
>>
File: 0f0.png (107 KB, 403x329) Image search: [Google]
0f0.png
107 KB, 403x329
>>7995046
>>
>>7996054
Fullerene has a much more general definition:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullerene

>>7996076

If you fill it with gas it won't collapse in on itself. With very gentle handling it might last long enough that you could hold it in your hands once.

Alternatively, we can make it out of multiple layers of graphene making it a bit more durable.
>>
>>7995042
Can't we already make molecules large enough to hold?

Aren't grains of salt a single molecule? Aren't metals a single molecule?
>>
>>7996737
A balloon is millions of atoms thick. Think about it.
>>
>>7996999
Yeah it's gonna be more like a bubble for sure. But I bet someone will make one and they'll get it on the cover of nature chemistry or at least angewandte-chemie.

Might look like a smoky bubble
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.