[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this a /sci/ approved show?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 63510507.jpg (328 KB, 800x1130) Image search: [Google]
63510507.jpg
328 KB, 800x1130
Is this a /sci/ approved show?
>>
It's pretty good to watch while high, but the science is questionable at best.
>>
>>7994693
>pop-sci
>/sci/ approved

Also don't make faggoty threads like these, that's what >>>/v/ is for.
>>
>>7994701
>but the science is questionable at best

I agree with this. There was an episode about the hypothesis that the universe is "alive", as in an organism.
>>
>>7994693

no, this is vsauce tier at best
>>
>>7994693
>/sci/ approved show
There's no such thing.
>>
>>7994973
Well at least vsauce covers his ass with sources and doesn't say anything too out there
>>
>>7994693
better than pleb-tier Cosmos
>>
>>7996422
What about the older Cosmos by Sagan?
>>
>>7996422
No, cosmos was definitely better. It had all sorts of history of scientific discoveries, and actual science. Through the wormhole had little to none of that.
>>
>>7996482
i liked it a lot more than neil degresse's just because sagan seemed more respectable as a scientist. he wrote some pretty good non-retard tier books as well (see broca's brain). sagan wasn't extraordinary by any definition, but he was a smart dude and has some decent accomplishments besides his communication of the subject.

it could be argued that blacks in the USA need a role model like neil to encourage more of them to study sciences, but beyond that i don't know. black science man is pretty much a visible minority that knows how to communicate ideas a bit. a guy like feynman blows his ass out of the water because he was a communicator of science that also made groundbreaking discoveries in his field and didn't just ride off of the fame of making some mediocre pop-science television series and getting likes on clever twitter posts.. and the new cosmos just seemed kinda shitty. i liked the episode about faraday, but beyond that the whole thing didn't really wow me.

in any case, even if you had a "perfect" communicator that was respectable in their research and didn't just use it as an opportunity for fame, you still have the problem of people completely misinterpreting the science.. .. so-called "popularizers" will always be controversial, i think.
>>
File: engcon.jpg (60 KB, 600x240) Image search: [Google]
engcon.jpg
60 KB, 600x240
>>7994693
>>
>>7997133
Yea the new cosmos was literally CGI nonsense that kind of spat in the face of nature I would so far as to go and say that there's this subtle arrogance of thinking they understand nature and the universe, to think that their graphical representation is valid enough for an educational series, let alone that they think it's done so well that it's the godamn centerpiece. Sure one can say it is entertainment of the educational kind but the original series but educational first and it's only entertainment was this sense of wonder that did NOT come from any sort of facade

The original, instead of relying on graphics, relied on metaphors and analogies that usually end up doing a much better job of not only educating, but imbuing this great sense of curiosity, awe and wonder at, not just the human discoveries, but the fact that there are so many marvels of the universe left to discover.

The new series, instead of making the viewer curious it insteads just makes the audience smug creating this odd sense of self entitlement just because they happen to be alive in the modern era like "wow so cool yea we rock we know all this shit gotta be high to watch this shit so trippy hurr durrr"
>>
>>7997133
feels kinda unfair to compare Neil to Feynman.

>>7997663
yeah, I felt that too. The old ones makes you feel a bit like a kid wondering about the universe for the first time. The new one just feels a bit lifeless in comparison.
>>
>>7997663
I think you're just being edgy. The new cosmos definently induced wonder, and explained concepts well.
>>
>>7997680
It may have explained the concepts well, but for anyone who has awareness of the concepts, they would feel the show is not genuine... let alone probably inaccurate. Take a real rocket and record space and then say it's accurate enough to match the concepts that the show is supposed to focus on
>>
>>7997663
> CGI nonsense
Did you watch either Cosmos?
The original is full of CG of the time.

Personally I liked and learned from both.
Like about eyes being evolved for water and how pissed I should be that the library was burned.
>>
>>7997714
When the old Cosmos explained time dilation, there were very obvious effects used. In fact when that was discussed, along with many other things, Sagan had the awareness and respect of science enough to even provide disclaimers that what you are seeing is probably not what would actually happen and that it is just a dramatization or something of that sort
>>
>>7997675
i mainly made the comparison because there aren't too many science communicators to speak of
>>7997133
i went to a "centre for inquiry" cosmos screening at the chapter and my city and it was basically what you described in terms of smug people smelling their own farts, it was pretty cringy
>>7997714
regardless of both using effects i still prefer sagan as a communicator to degrasse, but he would never be my first choice for reading about science nowadays. it was cool when i was like 14-15
>>
>>7997663
second quote in >>7997975 was meant for you
>>
>>7997975
Generally the "science nowadays" that Tyson speaks of is hardly ever more than just conjecture.

If string theory turns out to be incorrect then the older comsos would end up being more timeless than the newer series.

Anyways I think your the one being edgy here. The official motivation of the show is literally "aimed to appeal to as wide an audience as possible and not just to those interested in the sciences" "Tyson credits the success of the original series for the proliferation of science programming, “The task for the next generation of Cosmos is a little bit different because I don’t need to teach you textbook science. There’s a lot of textbook science in the original Cosmos, but that’s not what you remember most. What most people who remember the original series remember most is the effort to present science in a way that has meaning to you"...
>>
Morgan Freeman >>>>>>>>>> neill smokeDeGrasse tyson popsci faggot
>>
>>7998371
you're trolling right?
>>
>>7999474
NDT is a fucking pretentious fuckwad, fuck you if you think otherwise
>>
>>7999481
He sure is, turning science into le meme. But Morgan Freeman? Really? A fucking actor who literally (read: LITERALLY) thinks he is god?
I'm the guy who was saying how awesome Sagan is, fuck off if you think otherwise :p
>>
If you want a decent pop-sci show go watch Wonders of the Universe with Brian Cox.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbLabVc8wCY
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.