[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the deal with teleporters? I mean I know as far
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: 45-19384752345.jpg (17 KB, 432x432) Image search: [Google]
45-19384752345.jpg
17 KB, 432x432
So what's the deal with teleporters? I mean I know as far as the rest of the universe is concerned it's me stepping in and stepping out, but I get the intuition that I don't survive the process in the same way I don't survive getting torn into my constituent particles by a close range nuclear explosion.
>>
>>7992205
It scans you, and by scan I mean it completely destroys you. You die, case closed.

Then it transmits the 0s and 1s equivalent of you to a remote location where magic happens in a magical machine that assembles a copy of you in a magical amount of time. People will say that is the real you. But, it isn't you at all.

Here's the fun part, the being created by this copying process will think it is the real you, unless it knows how the process works. Then it will know it is merely a copy. There begins an existential crises for a being that thinks exactly like you think.

So, tell us, what would you be thinking after walking out of a teleporter, knowing that you were just born, but burn with the same shit someone else had including all their faults, skills, and history? I'd probably be a good bit mournful.

I know one thing, I'd sure as hell stay away from fucking teleportation.

Now, consider this. How about a type of teleportation that only scans your brain's neuron connections without killing you or wiping your memory and taking a sample of your DNA and sequencing it? Then it transmits this info to a remote location and clones a brand new body complete with your memories. You'd still be alive at least.
>>
File: Moon_(2008)_film_poster.jpg (47 KB, 299x440) Image search: [Google]
Moon_(2008)_film_poster.jpg
47 KB, 299x440
>>7992274
>Now, consider this. How about a type of teleportation that only scans your brain's neuron connections without killing you or wiping your memory and taking a sample of your DNA and sequencing it? Then it transmits this info to a remote location and clones a brand new body complete with your memories. You'd still be alive at least.
>>
Nothing can deconstruct and recreate every subatomic particle and their properties that encompasses your entire body in the correct order and without temporal shifting.

I'm sure that teleportation is one of the things that humanity will never achieve 100% guaranteed.
>>
File: 1362103888472.jpg (525 KB, 1642x1493) Image search: [Google]
1362103888472.jpg
525 KB, 1642x1493
>>7992205

Don't exist, can't exist.

Like a lot of pop-sci, the concept (which was just a TV shortcut to avoid having to depict the Galileo shuttle from going up and down on the original Star Trek series, saving on SFX costs) is bunk. It would be easier (no kidding) to convert a human to information inside of a massive computer and transfer them from place to place that way.
>>
File: X on SCI.png (31 KB, 694x968) Image search: [Google]
X on SCI.png
31 KB, 694x968
Oh boy! Who wants to play?
>>
>>7992301
>Star Trek
>Teleportation

Star Trek uses "transportation" not "teleportation". The different is that you don't die via the "transportation" but you do die during "teleportation". That difference is why Bones finally relented in using them.
>>
>>7992274
>It scans you, and by scan I mean it completely destroys you. You die, case closed.

>2016
>believing in a bullshit ghost thing called a "soul"

You miserable child-killer...you killed a four-year-old (and a five-year-old, and a six-year-old, etc) to be here now...there was a living, breathing person working your job, doing your duties, and saying "Hi!" to all your acquaintances yesterday.

Dead now. You killed him (or her, lol) when you woke up this morning.

Or what about that guy who started reading this message two seconds ago...
>>
>>7992313
>no 'personal identity theory' square
Needs to be revised if you want to count teleportation threads.
>>
>>7992205
Do you survive sleep every night? Same shit
>>
>>7992205
Well if you can survive getting teleported one planck length, then you can survive getting teleported two planck lengths, and two to the power two et cetera. The question is whether you think you can survive even the minutest distance of teleportation, because if you can, then you can survive any distance or length of time in stasis.
>>
>>7992349
If you can stay alive one planck time, then you can stay alive for any amount of planck times. Turns out we're all immortal and never even knew it.
>>
>>7992393
The difference being that our bodily state changes over time and not distance teleported, otherwise yeah the induction would be false.
>>
>>7992324
>just being an autistic idiot

I'd say "KYS" but it seems you already have that covered every second of your life.
>>
File: 1280712224220.jpg (44 KB, 484x300) Image search: [Google]
1280712224220.jpg
44 KB, 484x300
>>7992393
>Turns out we're all immortal and never even knew it.

You're an AI pretending to be one of the humans who assisted in its creation, with all the emotional/biological constraints that entailed.

You probably thought it was a coincidence that you're alive only a couple of decades before human "uploading" becomes possible, and it becomes possible to "live" forever...
>>
>>7992328
It's not the same at all. Sleep is obviously just a period of reduced brain activity where the brain stays intact continuously. Disassembling a human at the molecular level undeniably results in death.

If you're claiming that you die during teleportation but your identity/soul/whatever somehow knows to jump into the clone in the new location, then that's a far-fetched claim and the burden of proof is on you, friend.
>>
>>7992403
>not distance teleported
How'd you reach that conclusion.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.