[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has smoking marijuana been proven scientifically to impair driving?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7
File: marijuana-leaves-141121.jpg (113 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
marijuana-leaves-141121.jpg
113 KB, 360x240
Has smoking marijuana been proven scientifically to impair driving?
>>
>>7991525
no but that didnt stop the cops from giving me a DUI
>>
Here's a rule of thumb...
If you need to ask yourself, "will x impair my ability to y and possibly land me in jail"
Assume the answer is yes and don't do x
>>
>>7991525
Probably yes
Driving is a complex task that is notoriously susceptible to influences from outside. Like drinking, texting, eating or simply talking to someone. Almost anything you do has a negative effect on your driving.
>>
>>7991525
>has altering you perception of reality, shortening your attention, and delaying reflexes been proven scientifically to impair driving?

I don't even want to get into the "scientifically proven" part. Does driving stoned sound like a good idea?
>>
>>7991590
>>7991537
>>7991874
>Probably

If you don't know then don't answer.
>>
File: 1440273648497.gif (1 MB, 446x469) Image search: [Google]
1440273648497.gif
1 MB, 446x469
>>7991525
The real question is why the fuck would you want to drive while high.
There's so many other better things you could be doing when you're high and you decide to fucking drive?
>>
>>7991920
>There's so many other better things you could be doing when you're high

That's why you drive there to do them. Hang out with friends, go out to eat, go for a hike, etc. You need to drive to get there.
>>
>>7991920
Not OP, but I only drive high when I have to, and I always wait until a trusted, sober observer lets me know that my reaction and motor/memory skills seem competent enough.

But yeah, playing Skyrim, eating a frozen pizza, or going on a hike are much more fun than fucking driving and risking criminal charges.
>>
>>7991932
Why the fuck can't you just drive sober and then smoke up? Why risk yours and others' lives?
>>
>>7991920
>lets commute instead of chill and feel in the music
I kno right? Dude weed
>>
>>7991963
You have drive back, right?
>>
>tfw waiting for the stop sign to turn green
>>
File: 1433442046483.png (29 KB, 598x658) Image search: [Google]
1433442046483.png
29 KB, 598x658
>>7991988
How about waiting until you're sober to drive back?
>>
>>7992084

My buddy was stopping at Green lights the other day while he was stoned. Probably the funniest thing ever because he didn't even realize it until we said something
>>
Is everyone here 16? I drive just about the same high or not. My driving is much more likely to be disrupted by my gf w phone calls.
>>
>>7992343
marijuana effects can last a while

>endanger people's lives

Kek. Marijuana isn't alcohol.
>>
>>7991525
Anecdotally I've driven while high many times. It's always nerve-racking and my reaction times are slower.

Nowhere in the same universe as driving drunk though.
>>
>>7992507
Yeah, 4chan is very anti-drug for some reason.

This is what happens when nerds get a website. They have no life experiences, but they judge everyone.
>>
>>7993080
/pol/ and other social/pop culture boards don't seem to be. It's just /sci/. I'm guessing it's because /sci/ is full of asthmatic nerds or something.
>>
>>7991525
i drive more cautiously when stoned, normally i'm going double the speed limit. only got a ticket once but was very cordial with the officer so he reduced my sentence to just over 15kmph the limit.
>>
Science can't prove things
>>
File: 1457031220895.jpg (28 KB, 233x277) Image search: [Google]
1457031220895.jpg
28 KB, 233x277
>>7993116
>>
it doesn't impair your motor skills, which is the main reason why alcohol makes people crash. That said, it does impair your judgement (moreso the less often you smoke), and some people get super anxious and nervous on weed in general, moreso when they're driving on it (because they think they're doing something as bad as driving drunk)
>>
>>7993116
Not fully 100% no.
But you can take things for granted when it's 99.whatever % certain.
>>
Don't drive drunk

Especially do not smoke weed and then drive drunk.
Don't know how bad weed on it's own is on the road, but weed+alcohol is a lot more dangerous than just alcohol.
Weed may be a multiplier and not bad on it's own for your driving. Just don't mix weed+alcohol and then drive.

>>7992507
Don't drive and make calls.
>>
>>7991590
Im pretty sure it has been proven but cant be bothered to look for a source
>also fuck you
>>
>>7991525
It's anecdotal evidence, but here's my two cents.

I've smoked on and off since high school (grad student now). I've driven stoned many times for various reasons. The only time I felt physically impaired (i.e. driving felt different than driving sober) was one time back in my first year of college when I got ripped off a gravity bong.

Aside from that, I've never had problems driving and none of my stoner friends have either. In fact, I usually drive more carefully (e.g. coming to a full stop, looking both ways at an intersection, not speeding, etc.) because I'm more relaxed. I'd say there's virtually no harm in driving after smoking just a bowl or something.
>>
>>7993080
we're not anti-drug, we're anti doing dumb shit that could put the lives of others in danger
I fucking love drugs, but I only do them in cases where I don't have to operate a 2 ton death machine
>>
>>7993106
What? /pol/ is the fucking worst at this.
>>
>>7991525
Lazy cunts

> low THC dose (100 μg/kg) does not impair driving ability in urban traffic to the same
extent as a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.04 g%.

>e maximum road tracking impairment after the highest THC dose (300 μg/kg) was within
a range of effects produced by many commonly used medicinal drugs and less than that
associated
with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08 g% in previous studies
employing the same test.

US Department of Traffic Safety Administration
HS 808 078
November 1993
Final Report
Marijuana and Actual
Driving Performance

http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/25000/25800/25867/DOT-HS-808-078.pdf

I'm pretty sure a more recent study was done in the netherlands or somewhere that has given the same results
>>
>>7993825
I dont make calls, i said receiving calls when driving, and i have to at least check if its an emergency. I don't take that initiative, its too distracting for me.

Still, like another anon said, how often one smokes plays a big role in how it effects an individual. Ive been smoking for a long time. During my first years I would never drive high.
>>
>>7993066
>Marijuana isn't alcohol.
Tetrahydrocannabinol.
You know what -ol means?
>>
The answer is obviously yes. You don't need a study to figure this out. If you get smoke up and still think you can drive, then you're dumb as fuck.
>>
>>7994028
it has also been observed habitual use (in patient for instance) does not impact
>>
File: patent6630507.jpg (309 KB, 1240x549) Image search: [Google]
patent6630507.jpg
309 KB, 1240x549
>>7994731
>You know what -ol means?

that it has a hydroxyl group at some point on the chain?

>>7994767
>You don't need a study to figure this out.

if you want to take anecdotal evidence to heart and ignore scientific studies... why you on this board?

>>7994792
ya, those who claim all the harms and evils of the devil's weed don't want to look at a habituated user who knows how to compensate. Their worst fear is someone like a skilled athlete like an olympic swimmer or snowboarder to actually show that the level of impairment is small in many cases.
>>
I have two friends who shook weed and drive. I've sat comfortably every time they have drove, and if anything, their driving seems a lot more cautious under the influence of cannabis.
>>
Some "experiments" indicate the opposite actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzKjFiGFrcU
>>
Just don't combine weed with alcohol and then drive.
>>
>>7991525
when driving with MJ i have a greater sense of awareness, not paranoia, unless i smoke too much. I have a greater sense of muscle control and focus so i am able to gas, brake, and steer with more precision, and also allows me to have a greater sense of awareness of whats going on around me in regards to seeing obstacles and pedestrians. And it feels good as fuck feeling good about going the speed limit without feeling like i have to go faster.

Overall, In my opinion, yes driving with marijuana can make a person a safer, better driver. Ive had two different people tell me that i drive very safe will under the influence.

>>7997482
also this. alcohol will in no way make you driver better, even combined with weed.
>>
no the video on buzzfeed says it makes you drive better QUED
>>
>>7997887
>I have a greater sense of muscle control and focus so i am able to gas, brake, and steer with more precision
Your senses may be heightened, but your control is most certainly not. There's a reason why people can tell when you get blazed, it's because you lose control of facial muscles and your eye muscles inadvertently droop. And don't even get me started on reflexes and reaction time.
>>
>>7997893
my reflexes are top notched when im stoned.
>>
>>7997897
>top notched
yeah, no.
>>
>>7991525
Alright /sci/, I'm 22 and smoked weed 2 times in my life, now I'm afraid to smoke again.

I want to know if it's true that smoking weed makes you stupid, also is it worse than alcohol? If I smoke once a year will it make a considerable damage to my brain?
>>
>>7997928
It's certainly not good for you, as is true of inhaling any kind of organic matter, but worse than alcohol? Almost certainly not.

>makes you stupid
The effects are obviously pronounced while you're on it, and long term usage can affect memory. But I don't think there's any causal relationship between overall intelligence and smoking it that's been demonstrated, no.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgEP9FdIzT8
>>
>>7997928
There is literally nothing bad in it if you vaporize it or make edibles

I would say it makes you smart; you get novel thoughts that you may not ever be able to otherwise get. Being able to change your perspective and having differing views is pretty powerful stuff
>>
>>7998564
>I would say it makes you smart
lol, stoners.
>>
studies are inconclusive
some people can drive fine
other people are impaired
>>
>IT DEPENDS
>>
>>7997928
marijuana:
>less atention capacity and inhibition of motoneurons
>long term memory and atention problems
Alcohol:
>Long term; many brain problems such as personality changes, hostility, no motor coordination.
>Long term; Causes secondary diseases such as cirrhosis/liver pathologies which lead to brain poisoning.
Alcohol can't hurt you if you are not an alcoholic dumbass; the marijuana makes a living zombie quickly.
>>
>>7994731
Reported
>>
Whenever I've done it I become extra-cautious. Sometimes I have to remind myself to speed up because I feel like going 10 under would look incredibly suspicious to any police I might pass.

I'll only do it at night, I think I may become overwhelmed during the day and probably piss off other road users by going slowly. I drive manual as well so there is that extra time delay on taking off at the lights etc.
>>
>>7994767
You mixed anti-pot and anti-science stupidity into one post.
>>
File: 1390844801375.gif (97 KB, 226x226) Image search: [Google]
1390844801375.gif
97 KB, 226x226
>>7991525

Does a psychoactive substance impair brain functioning?

hmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
>>7991881
Conduct a thought experiment
>>
>>7998747
Does coffee, you faggot?
>>
>>7998588
>>less atention capacity and inhibition of motoneurons
>>long term memory and atention problems
(citation needed)
>>
>>7998815
Yes, when I want to increase my focus and wakefulness, I smoke weed.
>>
>>7999444
Yea some strains do that
>>
>>7999456
Is that the one that cures cancer?
>>
>>7999468
nah all of them cure cancer, but you should eat the stuf like it's a vegetable. Getting high doesn't really cure stuff, you lose 99% of the benefits if you heat it.

For more info regarding this super plant (I say that ironically, like how those faggots call acai and other obscure plants in africa) please refer to this video about the use of raw cannabis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgEP9FdIzT8

Strains are just different ratios of different chemicals FYI
>>
>>7999487
>Strains are just different ratios of different chemicals FYI
lol "just" different ratios of "chemicals"? The interplay between organic compounds in the human body is one of the most difficult things to accurately predict that we still attempt to do so. Like, we're talking weather prediction months in advance is a cakewalk compared to this shit. It's why herbalism isn't medicine, but isn't complete bullshit either. Typically, the problem comes in when you're mixing different organisms (e.g. "smoke this plant while eating the blue crab shell"), but cannabis is known to have one of the most complicated organic interactions for any single species of plant. Western medicine requires the scientific method to confirm anything, so it's control trials or nothing. How the fuck does one do control trials when every strain is unique in ways that manifest in wildly different phenotypes? We're talking interactions between almost 100 different cannabinoid compounds (maybe more), and about 400 other organic compounds. That means if you wanted to test *just* the effects of the different cannabinoids, individually, you would have to do 80 trials. Then you would need at least 160 more for testing every pair of combinations, etc. etc. until you've tested all possible 2^80 combinations. But wait, these aren't binary values, they're continuous real values, so that makes them more complicated, and what about the non-cannabinoid compounds? All of this, on a plant they haven't been able to sequence the damn genome of yet.

Now, obviously this is a gross simplification, and you don't literally need to test every combination of compounds to deduce trends. But the fact of the matter is, thousands of years of experimentation without restraint by indigenous peoples and drug users has given us a lot more information on this shit than science has, and I expect it will continue to be that way for at least the next few years.
>>
>>8000112
Point being, for now, put more weight into what your local hippie says about strains having certain vibes or whatever the fuck than you would put into anything that is based on the principle of "it's just different ratios of different chemicals." because even when taking into account the placebo and social effects, the stoner probably knows more about what you'll be using than the scientist does.
>>
File: 1413310523670.gif (2 MB, 300x176) Image search: [Google]
1413310523670.gif
2 MB, 300x176
>>8000112
>>8000115
wooaaahh

yea I was originally thinking about THC and CBD. do you think leafly is a good place to start? also, can a single strain have different phenotypes due to the way it's grown?

crazy shit man. some strains are apparently psychedelic, and others strains, as I was telling the other anon increase focus and wakefulness.

right? you would know better clearly
>>
>>8000212
Nobody on 4chan, no drug dealer, and no 'hippy' knows anything about different marijuana strains. All you're going to get is hearsay and conspiracy theories.
>>
>>7991963
Because then you have weed in the car?? like
>>
I don't know about scientifically, but when I've been high as fuck before and it would have been legitimately horrible for me to drive.

When you have very little control of your body, driving is probably the most dangerous thing you could do.
>>
>>8000219
so people only drive high because they smoke their shit before getting in the car

people drive high only because it's illegal to carry

holy fucking shit jesus christ society is retarded

u know obama toked up but he won't legalize it. what if he got booked. would he still be president? fukin I can't even
>>
>>7991525
OP this is not how you decide if consuming a drug is ok or not.

What do you actually do?
Should I take this synthetic drug that rotten my brain? Well YES! because it won't impair my driving ( I'm not taking about weed, but you get the point )
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.