[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
should chemistry be considered a branch of physics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: chemistrybanner-1.jpg (69 KB, 730x305) Image search: [Google]
chemistrybanner-1.jpg
69 KB, 730x305
should chemistry be considered a branch of physics?
>>
>>7987600
Well, you could start by providing the reasoning behind that question? Why in your opinion should chemistry be considered a branch of physics?
>>
>>7987600
Chemistry is a branch of physics. Obviously its a branch of physics that worthy of study in it's own right, but it's a branch of physics.
>>
>>7987600
Physical chemists seem to use computers and lasers more than actual chemicals so yeah I'd say so.
Even bench chemists find opportunities to study and apply entry-level physics
>>
>>7987620
everything in chemistry is derivied from physics
it's basically about properties of physical matter and bounds between atoms (which is generally electromagnetism)
>>
>>7987600
Literally everything is a branch of physics. More specifically, an emergent property that could be derived from physics: chemistry just happens to be the more immediate one.

Once we gain enough knowledge, you will be asking the same question about biology etc etc
>>
>>7987600
>should physics be considered a branch of applied mathematics?
>>
>>7987634
>computers and lasers
Why would engineers call themselves chemists?
>>
>>7987600
Should just move atomic physics to chemistry
>>
File: WittigunstabilisedOP.png (30 KB, 1767x776) Image search: [Google]
WittigunstabilisedOP.png
30 KB, 1767x776
>physics undergrads opining about chemistry without knowing what chemistry actually is

See pic related. The thought process that goes into this is fantastically removed from the thought process of a physicist. This is with the exception of computational chemistry -- you can call that a branch of physics if you'd like.

Obviously some chemistry is very close to physics, and some chemistry is totally it's own thing. To say all of chemistry is a branch of physics is undergrad shit. The vast majority of the things we study in chemistry cannot be answered through physics (hence why we study them through chemistry).

If you seriously participated in this discussion, please leave /sci/ and never come back
>>
The way may professor explained the difference was pretty interesting. He said physics only concerns itself with interactions that can be explained purely with mathematical equations. But chemistry has a lot more qualitative stuff and relationships that can't be predicted by equations alone
>>
>>7987755
In the intro course my prof had 2 balloons. He held a candle beneath the first one, which just popped (it only had air inside). He said that is physics. It's about states and changes in states (pressure, entropy, etc.).
He then held the candle beneath the second one, which was filled with hydrogen and exploded in a bright flame. He said that one is chemistry. It's about matter and changes in matter.
>>
>>7987667
Biology isn't a science
>>
>>7988142
Physics isn't a science
>>
>>7988142
what's you argument?
>>
>>7987749
>He unironically thinks that reaction mechanisms aren't governed by physics.

lol.
>>
>>7987637
chemistry has a well defined set of rules and solid logic that differs it enough from physics.
Chemical bonds can not be described via electromagnetism only, for instance.
Similarly, you can't come up with a drug synthesis method via physics. You need to have knowledge of, like logic and stuff, be able to imagine the mechanisms of reaction, and where they may lead to.
I don't see any way to derive those rules from physics, as I know it now.

Uh, I lost my line here, whatever

Philosophy > Math and Physica > Everything else
>>
>>7988142
Science isn't a science
>>
>>7988160
>He unironically thinks that he can explain, make use of, and predict mechanisms via physics
lol
>>
>>7988176
>He unironically thinks that reaction mechanisms aren't explainable by some combination of quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and dynamics.

lol
>>
>>7988194
whatever man, just keep drinking that physics undergraduate's superiority in
>>
>>7988201
On the contrary, my chemical loving friend, I think Chemistry is worthy of study in its own right. But it is, weather you like it or not, a branch of physics.
>>
>>7987600
Physics can model fundamental particles and their interactions elegantly. Once systems of fundamental particles become too complex (elements/molecules) to warrant pure physics, you turn to chemistry. The application of chemistry alone makes it clear why it is its own natural science.

Physical chemistry though -- thermodynamic, quantum, statistical, and kinetic -- is absolutely just extended physics.
>>
>>7988205
physics is just a branch of mathematics.
>>
>>7988279
Partly yes, in particular theoretical physics. But mathematics is a formal science, not a natural science, so you can't really call it an actual branch of mathematics.
>>
>>7988205
>a branch of physics

this is like that moronic meme of yours philosophy > maths > physics > blabla

get new material, boy
>>
>>7988322
It's nothing like that you retard. Some subject find their root in another subject, some subjects start independently and find themselves being a particular example of a larger subject, cf. Computer science and mathematics, Chemistry and physics. This isn't a hard concept, I worry that you can't understand it.
>>
>>7988341
it is exactly like that, friendo, i worry that you have to resort to namecalling, is that all you have? of course chemistry is governed by the laws of physics, everything is, but assuming "hurr durr chemistry is physix lols" is just a way for ignorant physics students to pat themselves on the back

the fact that youre here spouting memes about it, does but to confirm it
>>
>>7988360
Fine, chemistry isn't a branch of physics, it's fundamental problems can't be solved with the correct application of physical theories, there is no approach to the prediction of reaction mechanisms that would start with some physical theory.
>>
>>7987674
>Should mathematics be considered a branch of applied autism?
>>
Both are models describing the same thing in different ways.
>>
>>7988146
This
>>
Let's be honest. Everything is a branch of physics. Except philosophy lol
>>
>>7989284
And math, ya dip!
>>
File: 1434653680586.jpg (55 KB, 1024x642) Image search: [Google]
1434653680586.jpg
55 KB, 1024x642
>>7988194
They may be theoretically explainable some day, but probably looooong after we're both dead. It's like trying to explain economics trends using physics. Obviously in theory you could do it with some crazy super computer, but in reality you can't.

Now fuck off son
>>
>>7989478
>>7989168
This
>>
>>7987600
Not really, chemistry is kind of like big physics (not including stuff like astrophysics obviously) and biology is kind of like big chemistry.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.