[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Posted this on /adv/, but there aren't many academics that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Totoro-Picture-Wallpaper-Desktop.jpg (312 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Totoro-Picture-Wallpaper-Desktop.jpg
312 KB, 1920x1080
Posted this on /adv/, but there aren't many academics that frequent that website.

So, /sci/, I've been incredibly lucky and incredibly blessed to have received two admissions offers to both Princeton's and Columbia's engineering MS programs with full financial support. I have to make a decision within the next few days, but I'm having a hard time choosing.

Columbia: I can transfer roughly half of the credits required for my degree program, finishing in about a year. During my graduate program (at whatever school I'm at), I want to take the opportunity to explore the theoretical side of my field more. Between the two schools, Columbia (says) that it offers more classes in this area, but it's somewhat unpredictable because the classes it claims to offer aren't always offered. I'm also quite familiar with professors at Columbia.

Princeton: I can't transfer any credits. The number of courses I have to take is similar, but there are more requirements in the way of TAing and doing a thesis, and I'd only be able to finish in 1.5 years if I severely push myself. According to the requirements, at least half of the courses will be spent taking analogs of courses I took during my undergrad, and the other half would be open to taking whatever variety I want (though the selection may possibly be more limited than at Columbia). Princeton's program has a better reputation (and ranking in my specific area of study).

Another confounding variable: I have two serious, competitive full-time offers at well-reputed and stable companies that will be there after my graduate program so long as I can start work in December of 2017. If I go to Columbia's program, I will certainly be able to finish in time, but if I go to Princeton's program, it will be a stretch, finishing within a week of having to start work.

What do, /sci/?
>>
>>7985570

Also, would it impact potential PhD applications in any significant way having Princeton versus Columbia associated with my MS?
>>
>>7985570
Columbia.
>>
>>7985610

Thanks for the advice! Would you mind sharing your line of thought?
>>
>>7985570
Can't speak to either program's. But a week isn't that much of a stretch for a company, HR could work to move it back for you.

In terms of which school to attend, ignore rankings. Visit both schools, talk to the faculty, establish some kind of relationship with one of them before you attend. Look through the course requirements, visit the sites of those courses and get an idea of what the work load will be like. Do this for each school and compare. See which you like better. This is what I'm doing now between two prestigious universities.
>>
Ivy League schools aren't even prestigious in engineering, desu. That said, Columbia and Princeton have similar reputations. Choose the one you like better. For credits, reqs, etc. just do what you need to do.
>>
>>7985663

Thanks! The timing isn't an issue so much for one offer as much as it is for the other--the only reason why I bring it up is because, while one offer is good, the other has a hefty 6 figures attached to it. That bigger offer also has a maximum deferral period attached to it.

>>7985656

Thanks! I'm definitely feeling that Columbia's (advertised) offering in the area could be more fruitful than Princeton. At this point, I'd only be going to Princeton for the prestige, which is only marginally better than that at Columbia.
>>
>>7985675
That's the dilemma I was in. I had to decide between two prestigious universities equally ranked in their respective departments. But one is more prestigious overall due to the school name. I was torn because the slightly less prestigious school is a better fit for me, but ultimately chose the slightly less prestigious school over the more prestigious brand named school. Sounds like you're doing the same. Go with what is best for you. Don't let Princeton's name make it a deciding factor.
>>
Princeton, NJ is a shitty place to live. All else equal, I would certainly take this into consideration.
>>
>>7985752

Noted.
>>
>>7985753
Also, it seems you already have a job lined up immediately after you finish. What are your goals for the MS?
>>
File: 1424133987733.jpg (10 KB, 350x334) Image search: [Google]
1424133987733.jpg
10 KB, 350x334
>>7985752
I was about to say you could run into John Nash, then realized...
>>
>>7985764
:( at least there are other fields medalists there
>>
>>7985762

I want to get some exposure working with more theoretical topics. If I ever pursue a PhD, it would be for a theoretical subfield, and so I'm hoping the MS will ease me into such a specialization. During my MS, I also hope to publish something in the realm of theory that has a practical application. I didn't mention this, but support at both schools is contingent upon producing some sort of research like this.

The job I have lined up will be highly practical, so I feel I have my bases covered re: being able to get my hands dirty for a while before taking the complete dive into theory.
>>
>>7985762

I hope to (1) get in-depth exposure to more of the theoretical aspects of my field and (2) produce some theoretical research having a practical component during the course of my study. These goals are motivated by the fact that, if I ever pursue a PhD, I will do so in a theoretical subfield. I didn't mention this, but the support for both programs comes with a guaranteed research adviser to oversee such a project.

As for my practical interests, I feel like those are covered fairly well by the jobs I have lined up.
>>
>>7985780
>>7985775

Sorry for the double post. 4chan lagged after the initial submission, so I assumed that my post didn't go through or something.
>>
>>7985775
>>7985780
Okay. Definitely go where you feel that the research and coursework aligns most with your interests. Have you visited the schools yet? Neither place will give you a leg up over the other in terms of applying to PhD programs just on name alone.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.