[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ok you faggots what the fuck is zero and what the fuck is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: whatthefuckisthis.jpg (10 KB, 700x300) Image search: [Google]
whatthefuckisthis.jpg
10 KB, 700x300
ok you faggots

what the fuck is zero

and

what the fuck is infinity

i want a straight answer from you fags
>>
Numbers are a social construct
>>
infinity is a number and zero is how many times you've had sex
>>
>>7984849
zero is half an infinity
infinity is two zeroes
>>
even the mayans knew this like a million years ago dude lmao
>>
>>7984849
Zero is the absence of value and infinity is anything that cant be counted
>>
>>7984849
infinity is a sideways 8 and zero the top or bottom half of 8
>>
>>7984860
:^)
>>
>>7985011
Technically they are, they are just generally very strictly defined social contstructs
>>
0 is the additive inverse in [math] \mathbb{C} [/math]

On the Riemann sphere we have [math] 1/0=\infty [/math]
>>
>>7985026
Wouldn't limit notation be more logical here
>>
infinity is a shorthand notation for -1/12
>>
>>7984849
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/infinity_(mathemathics)
>>
They are the same thing! 0=∞
>>
File: 337478.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
337478.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
Nigga

Zero is like

U have no cash foh drugs and hoes,u just a lil bitch with no weed nigga

And infinite is like

Shit neva ends nigguh
>>
define infinity
>>
Infinity is an object. We use it to define certain things, mainly the limit of a divergent sequence. Negative infinity is intuitively similar. We include these objects as elements of the set of the "extended" real numbers. They can be thought of as an object defined to be greater than any real number, though this is only an intuitive heuristic since it cannot be thought of as a standard real number.

0 is simply an additive identity, generally used as the accepted notation for the additive identity of almost any ring, group, field, module, etc. In the ring of integers, this tells me that for any integer x, x + 0 = x. That is the definition of 0. Another approach to defining 0 in terms of the integers only would be to define the natural numbers with ZFC axioms, and then extend this set to the integers with an additive identity, 0.

That should seriously answer your question OP, since that is the most straightforward way I can think of for defining both of those.

>>7984860
Nope.
>>7984862
Funny.
>>7984938
Nope.
>>7984940
Ok
>>7984957
Not true at all. Infinity can be countable, etc., but you knew this.
>>7985017
Kind of.
>>7985026
An example but not really a definition.
>>7985391
This.
>>7985399
No
>>7985454
Lol
>>7985495
That's the question at hand.
>>
>>7985039
No, on the Riemann sphere you actually have an element called infinity and can make statements like 1/0 = infinity.
>>
0 is the number of women you fucked

infinity is ur mums weight ;)
>>
I've heard that infinity is the greatest possible limit. Is there any sense in that?
>>
>>7984849
Dumb no-punctuation-or-capitalization-and-every sentence-is-its-own-paragraph poster.
>>
>>7984849
Zero is what you get after diving any number but zero by infinity of any sign. Zero is also a number.

+ Infinity is what you get after diving any postive real number by zero.

- Infinity is what you get after diving any negative real number by zero.

Infinity isn't a number but rather a concept that ought to be defined by a mathematical axiom.
>>
>>7985530
Hey look, it's Replies-To-Every-Other-Post-In-The-Thread Man! Can I have your autograph and a list of all your opinions? They are very important to me.
>>
>>7984849
Symbols for non-existent >>>/x/ shit.
>>
0 is nothing. Its an origin. Its the only nonpolar number. Its also used as a place holder in many different number systems, especially my favorite, base 10.

Infinity is basically a number outside of the domain of all real numbers, it is uncountable.
>>
>>7985809
This answer is objectively wrong though.

>0 is nothing
Then what is the difference between 0 and the empty set? 0 is not nothing. It is the most common notation for additive identity of an algebraic structure.
>it's also used as a place holder in many number systems
That is true at least.

>infinity is uncountable
Is this bait?
Infinity can be countable or uncountable...this is the beautiful result of hundreds of years of math and Cantor.
Also
>infinity is basically a number
THIS HAS TO BE BAIT.

>outside the domain of real numbers
It exists in the extended real number system, so that's technically true but misleading.

This has to be bait. What you said is misleading and false garbage.
>>
>>7985769
My definitions are the only correct one in this thread. Unless you want to redefine the concepts altogether.
>>
>>7984860
This is pretty much true desu
>>
Zero is everything and nothing.
Infinity is an extension of zero.
>>
>>7985882
>0 is everything and nothing
Let {0} be a set which contains 0. Let {~} be the empty set, which is defined as the set which contains nothing. Are you telling me {0} = {~}?

They don't.
>>
>>7985809
>Infinity is basically a number outside of the domain of all real numbers, it is uncountable.

I don't think you know what uncountable means. The natural numbers are countable, they just are not finite (i.e. infinite).

The reals are likewise infinite but are not countable.
>>
>>7985898
Most answers in this thread are bait.
>>
>>7984940
Mayans.
A million years ago.
Funny shit.
>>
>>7985898
infinity is a valueless concept, to give meaning to something that isnt relevant at the time.

however, zero gives me a much harder time -_-
i would say it is how many times you havent sucked a dick as an engineer
>>
>>7984849
'Infinity' is literally the '0' of any numeral system.
If you can't understand that much then you're brainwashed by the current semi false science that was created based on the delusion of "evolution". (theres no "evolution" the way we mean that term, its all 1 process. devolution is evolution, evolution is devolution)
>>
>>7986120
>infinity is a valueless concept, to give meaning to something that isnt relevant at the time.
It means that something isn't finite. It's not a particularly puzzling idea, and has no notion of "value."
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.